n0cn1l

Incest it's all relative
Donor
Dec 25, 2017
I was just about to quote that "abandoned" definition again (from one of my previous post), so thanks for saving me the trouble.

I think all these people are simply failing to understand that Hopes is doing this as a hobby (I mean he has his own job, and not like he's working on the game as 100% fulltime like some devs).

And on top of that, the update is pretty huge this time around with the gameplay getting a major overhaul.

So I wish folks would just give him a break, all things considered and stop jumping into "he's milking folks" conclusion (I'm aware it's not everyone, but majority of people who complain about this update taking long still say that, or something along those lines).
Truer words were never spoken

Game Bond

Nov 20, 2019
tho a few simps are missing, i'm sad
I must say. Handling all those accounts must be pretty hard. You are pretty dedicated. I respect that. It's almost like a hardcore simp if you know what I mean.

Your Mom and dad must be proud of you. They must be thinking that their son/daughter is accomplishing great things in his/her life.

Sorry didn't meant to go that deep.

Last edited:

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Well if something is a passion project you'd be obsessed by it, no? It's another thing if you hit the creative wall, have other obligations and other understandable excuses right? Of course, there is rendering and all but disgruntled people here are perhaps more concerned about developer's seriousness about the project. I mean you could be disgruntled all you want. Game is "free" here after all.
(a) no, even with any passion project you should not be "obsessed" at all and also have different things going on. Everything else is psychologically bad.

(b) doing something as a hobby while working as well means severely less time that one can use.

A normal work day is 8 hours, let's say a "full time dev" does that and no more.

For a "part time dev": a day has 24 hours. Minus 8 hours of sleep, minus 8 hours of work, minus 1 hour commute, 1 hour cooking and eating, 1 hour hygiene, 1 hour shopping and chores etc. (conservative estimates) you'd be left with 4 hours to work on the game, but already competing with things like honing social contacts and similar, and actually relaxing. You may catch up a little on the weekend, but if you're going half the pace of a full timer, you're already at the limit.

This game should be Tagged like ABANDONED after 8 months without update...
It has been said before, but to stop people from arguing every single case (not that it helps much), tags and similar here have a definition. This may not be foolproof in either direction, but the definition is not met.

I do not say for everyone, only those who are just starting out look very promising, but that alone and without the support of other people they certainly end up giving up after some updates! (...)
True that, many games are indeed being abandoned. But this actually is to be expected. These are long-term projects (years of work), which apart from the usual uncertainties life can throw at you in such a time span anyways is something many people are not used to - how to organize yourself, how to achieve the feel of progress when you're not really finishing anything. Also, you're being self-employed, which also brings specific struggles not everybody is cut out for (but you don't know until you try). Add to that that there's at least three fields of work included in your normal VN (programming, graphics creation, writing), each of which offers different obstacles which may wait to show - it's a pretty hard job and most people with the needed talents will be able to make more money elsewhere which may come into play one day (revenue stream not high enough, additional costs because of starting a family or taking care of elderly relatives), no, it's no wonder many are struggling. Even discounting those whose self image and actual ability are in different universes altogether.

A "dev academy" or self-help group could certainly help overcome obstacles but that would be for the devs to decide whether any of them would want that. We users shouldn't get involved and just wait what happens - and always prepare for the worst (namely abandonment), especially with first-time single devs, without getting too angry. Yes, some sink patreon money in, but as has been stated before, patreon is about supporting the artist and the process, not the work. It is not a guarantee you will get something back for your money.

Pervo

Jul 14, 2017
This story is far too precious to be abandoned. I don't know if you need to hear this but I'll say it regardless. You have exceptional talent in crafting a good looking game with an immersive story. The process of making games is difficult and the art of patience is found seldom in a group such as this. People can understandably be frustrated and hence vent which fans negative emotions in developers.
I hope you carry on working past this current update and complete this story the way you envisioned it.
Cheers Hopes. You've got this.

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
This story is far too precious to be abandoned. I don't know if you need to hear this but I'll say it regardless. You have exceptional talent in crafting a good looking game with an immersive story. The process of making games is difficult and the art of patience is found seldom in a group such as this. People can understandably be frustrated and hence vent which fans negative emotions in developers.
I hope you carry on working past this current update and complete this story the way you envisioned it.
Cheers Hopes. You've got this.
Thing is, all these "abandoned" posts has as far as i know no base in reality. Hopes has never to my knowledge complained that it's to much for him or that he is uncertain if he can finish it. Those posts are just people whining that their free game isn't updated fast enough.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Thing is, all these "abandoned" posts has as far as i know no base in reality. Hopes has never to my knowledge complained that it's to much for him or that he is uncertain if he can finish it. Those posts are just people whining that their free game isn't updated fast enough.
I mean, that is true, of course. But it is also true, that any project, ceteris paribus, will have higher chances to fail the longer it takes for completion.
Specially if those projects rely on a single person. Life does happen and sometimes destroys any plan you made.

Last edited:

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
I am getting tired of seeing "Is this abandoned?" question over and over again.
With Hopes saying after this update, future updates will more likely be shorter (and thus quicker), I just hope we will be seeing less of the complaints.

Oh, who am I kidding, people will complain no matter what. LOL

Pervo

Jul 14, 2017
I agree. Hopes has been active in his involvement and upfront about not setting very specific release targets or goals. I don't have concerns about him abandoning this game at present but the battery of frustrated people verbalizing their dissatisfaction can invariably take its toll on motivation for developers. Just thought I'd let the developer know there are many silent lurkers like me who do appreciate his efforts and look forward for things to come!

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
I mean, that is true, of course. But it is also true, that any project, ceteris paribus, will have higher chances to fail the longer it takes for completion.
Specially if thise projects rely on a single person. Life do happen and sometimes destroy any plan you made.
True and if that happens here i'll still support Hopes. I guess my point was that we have seen no indication of this from Hopes this far.

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
I agree. Hopes has been active in his involvement and upfront about not setting very specific release targets or goals. I don't have concerns about him abandoning this game at present but the battery of frustrated people verbalizing their dissatisfaction can invariably take its toll on motivation for developers. Just thought I'd let the developer know there are many silent lurkers like me who do appreciate his efforts and look forward for things to come!
I'm out of actions so i'll just (y)

Last edited:

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
Ah, don't worry. I don't mind.
A dev who is not prepared for toxicity shouldn't be a dev.

Ofc, that doesn't mean that everyone who is complaining/dissatisfied is toxic.
True, though I think what I've noticed in some situations where devs are taken aback by the amount of toxicity when it comes to release dates etc and have a hard time.
Guess it all depends on each dev's mental fortitude & how thick skinned they can be (thank goodness you rank pretty high on that scale :LOL::ROFLMAO:).

4.40 star(s) 495 Votes