Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I actually thought to reply to him, "But your English with how you've made the post asking the translation question doesn't seem too bad." but thought better of it because there could be a possibility he's using some sort of online translator (though it did look much better than google translate lol)

And you are right. In not just this game but even in other works also, there are times where meanings and nuances are lost in the whole translation, and can only be understood in the original language.
I have a lot of experience with documents being machine translated, be it google translate or Deep L, and while they are perfectly capable of conveying the meaning of posts, they tend to have a certain "style" which I think I can recognize (though I would neither bet money on it nor appear with this in a game show on TV) and don't see here.

And to be fair to translators, any text that is more than just a collection of pure information/facts, is basically intranslatable, you will always lose something - connotations words have in one language and in another don't, whole structures of language which may not exist in the target language, and so on. You can of course always explain what happens, but that doesn't work too well in a novel, movie, or game.

And tbh, many of the volunteers for translation in some of the games here - without wanting to make fun of them or complain, volunteer work is hard to come by and should be cherished - lack the necessary skills in both languages (yes, even their own) to make me prefer a translation to an English original, even if the latter is by a non native itself.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
lol if you're bringing Gilbert & Sullivan into it, I can't resist 3 Little Maids...
VERY apropos to the story! The only problem is that one of the three original "maids" wasn't, since she's married. Do we ignore that, or consider Eiza to be the third Little Maid?

Personally, I say we must ignore that and consider Isabela one of the three maids. ;)

If this were being made by Naughty Road, I'd fully expect a Three Little Maids wallpaper. On the other hand, didn't we have them in Charlie's Angels position one time?

Reactions: whichone

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
VERY apropos to the story! The only problem is that one of the three original "maids" wasn't, since she's married. Do we ignore that, or consider Eiza to be the third Little Maid?

Personally, I say we must ignore that and consider Isabela one of the three maids. ;)

If this were being made by Naughty Road, I'd fully expect a Three Little Maids wallpaper. On the other hand, didn't we have them in Charlie's Angels position one time?
Ha ha ha, yeah! :ROFLMAO:
Oh and absolutely, we can igore Isabel being married to make her the 3rd one. (y)
Or Eiza, whichever floats your boat. Now you've mentioned her, it's a shame I've limited us to 3! :ROFLMAO:
Can't really be Cordia, she's more the Mistress of the house.

Was thinking, for the Pirates of Penzance song, as Horny was saying how well mannered he is, you could have gone for
"He is the very model of a modern mannered gentleman", just to bring it a little closer to the original :)

Now that you mention it, I have a vague recollection. Got a feeling it was one of the special images, like the Ciri/Luna one?

• Haha
Reactions: HornyyPussy

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Ha ha ha, yeah! :ROFLMAO:
Oh and absolutely, we can igore Isabel being married to make her the 3rd one. (y)
Or Eiza, whichever floats your boat. Now you've mentioned her, it's a shame I've limited us to 3! :ROFLMAO:
Can't really be Cordia, she's more the Mistress of the house.

Was thinking, for the Pirates of Penzance song, as Horny was saying how well mannered he is, you could have gone for
"He is the very model of a modern mannered gentleman", just to bring it a little closer to the original :)

Now that you mention it, I have a vague recollection. Got a feeling it was one of the special images, like the Ciri/Luna one?
As wonderful as Eiza is, I think she'll always be second to the original Three Maids. Mistress of the house sounds better than "matron."

Yes, that would have been more accurate. Couldn't resist expanding "pussy" into a three syllable word.

• Haha

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
As wonderful as Eiza is, I think she'll always be second to the original Three Maids. Mistress of the house sounds better than "matron."
Yup, whole lot of Eiza love, but she's a side dish.
The 3 delicious main courses are all house specialities.

I like chips, but prefer a steak. lol
Yes, that would have been more accurate. Couldn't resist expanding "pussy" into a three syllable word.
Ha ha, only thought it because "major general" & "mannered gentleman" were close, to the ear. Right amount of syllables. :ROFLMAO:
Pussy as 3 syllables does give the impression it's being said mid coitus. ;)

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Dragon59

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Yup, whole lot of Eiza love, but she's a side dish.
The 3 delicious main courses are all house specialities.

I like chips, but prefer a steak. lol

Ha ha, only thought it because "major general" & "mannered gentleman" were close, to the ear. Right amount of syllables. :ROFLMAO:
Pussy as 3 syllables does give the impression it's being said mid coitus. ;)
Just so!
I've definitely seen a few words extended in just that way in more than a few of these games.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I would do Ayhsel a great disservice if I didn't mention that the words "Scientist Salarian" have also been used in this context in the past (or future - it is complicated).

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
I would do Ayhsel a great disservice if I didn't mention that the words "Scientist Salarian" have also been used in this context in the past (or future - it is complicated).
lol I love how things evolve.
From TDL > Pirates of Penzance > Mikado > Pirates > Mass Effect.
Does that mean there are 2 different degrees of separation between De Luca & ME & both are Gilbert & Sullivan? :unsure::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
I just Googled it. Nice!
And one of my favorite uses of the tune is Tom Lehrer's Element Song.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Cartageno

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
Just finished this version (0.07.2) and I like the potential this game offers. An update frequency of 3-4 months is great. Did the dev ever mention how long this game would take to complete?
No, the Dev (HopesGaming) didn't say how long it would take for the game to complete (come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen any Dev of games I play on this site say that before lol).

Only thing anyone knows is the game is roughly 30% complete as of now (according to the Dev), and the next coming update will likely end the season 1 of DeLuca in terms of content (Dev said there might be 4 seasons, though that's not definitive).

Reactions: SuperLYC

SuperLYC

Mar 28, 2020
No, the Dev (HopesGaming) didn't say how long it would take for the game to complete (come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen any Dev of games I play on this site say that before lol).

Only thing anyone knows is the game is roughly 30% complete as of now (according to the Dev), and the next coming update will likely end the season 1 of DeLuca in terms of content (Dev said there might be 4 seasons, though that's not definitive).
So… there will still be years of happiness?!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Haha
Reactions: whichone and JJJ84

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Sorry to derail the thread once again Hopes :)
Speaking of derailing ...

I just Googled it. Nice!
And one of my favorite uses of the tune is Tom Lehrer's Element Song.
Thank. The thing is: I know this song and never realized until today that it was the same tune ...

I have seen comments like "Probably summer of 2022" but always followed by "-ish, and that's no promise nor a guarantee."

4.40 star(s) 494 Votes