akitsushima

Apr 28, 2020
Take the mega-goblin boss for example. The key to winning this fight is very quickly becoming very good at parrying: a skill you have absolutely no practical need for in any difficulty before this point. A simple game design change that would make this boss more fun and less frustrating would be adding an element to the preceding level that forced you to learn to parry.
WHAT!? I completed the entire game on hard without even parrying once. Mega goblin is the one with the dark aura and two mobs, right? If I remember correctly, I just spam the fire skill during the entire battle, then stay down when he does the spinning attack. I don't particularly remember anything special from this boss fight.

• Hey there
Reactions: Shadowclonezero

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
You should really read my heinous wall of text before throwing insults good sir. That was very clearly not my point and avoiding shit like "<so and so who has opinion on game> is retarded and should be ignored" was exactly my point
Not throwing the insults at all would also be a good move.
The point of hard difficulty is it is supposed to be hard and challenging. If you or anyone feels it is way too hard then lower the difficulty. Difficulty levels are there to provide options for everyone.
Are you playing games casually? Play at easy.
Are you a regular gamer? Normal is for you.
Are you a veteran gamer who plays games all day everyday? Play on hard.
It is up to people to choose their difficulty and no one is forcing anything on anyone. However, complaining about difficulty while playing at "hard" difficulty WILL ruin the game for players who want a challenge if developer ever decides to listen to those people.

That insult was not for everyone, it is specifically aimed at people complaining about hard difficulty.
I'm playing games for god knows how many years now(15?~20?) so you can say I'm a veteran.
You can trust me when I say "normal" is alright and "hard" is supposed to be hard.
Anyone complaining about "normal" difficulty should either lower the difficulty or record their own gameplay and watch it to see their mistakes. Also to see how game actually gave them a chance but they wasted it.
However, it is understandable people find "normal" difficulty hard because those players probably don't have enough experience in gaming in general to understand it is actually "normal" and not hard. I've never said anything bad against those people, I never will.
On the other hand, people complaining about "hard" difficulty being too hard not only lack the skills needed to beat this difficulty they also have the biggest ego on earth, they'd rather complain about it online rather than lowering the difficulty. Those people deserve all the insults they get, no matter what their excuse is. Because they are ruining the game for skilled players who enjoy the challenge.

Sorry to write a text wall but you wrote as if I'm randomly insulting everyone here, that is not the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElHombreNihilista

Shadowclonezero

Sep 21, 2017
WHAT!? I completed the entire game on hard without even parrying once. Mega goblin is the one with the dark aura and two mobs, right? If I remember correctly, I just spam the fire skill during the entire battle, then stay down when he does the spinning attack. I don't particularly remember anything special from this boss fight.
I actually got him down low on hp and laughed at him while jumping on the chains as his two mobs killed him lmao
it felt very entertaining for me!(mainly since I didn't think they could hurt him like that even..)

in the demo though I did play it differently and I saw what some ppl were talking about.. if you attack him straight in his face, he will mess you up pretty good if you don't parry or something..

Reactions: TheOtherDragonborn

bloodmane

Dec 6, 2017
The point of hard difficulty is it is supposed to be hard and challenging. If you or anyone feels it is way too hard then lower the difficulty. Difficulty levels are there to provide options for everyone.
Are you playing games casually? Play at easy.
Are you a regular gamer? Normal is for you.
Are you a veteran gamer who plays games all day everyday? Play on hard.
It is up to people to choose their difficulty and no one is forcing anything on anyone. However, complaining about difficulty while playing at "hard" difficulty WILL ruin the game for players who want a challenge if developer ever decides to listen to those people.

That insult was not for everyone, it is specifically aimed at people complaining about hard difficulty.
I'm playing games for god knows how many years now(15?~20?) so you can say I'm a veteran.
You can trust me when I say "normal" is alright and "hard" is supposed to be hard.
Anyone complaining about "normal" difficulty should either lower the difficulty or record their own gameplay and watch it to see their mistakes. Also to see how game actually gave them a chance but they wasted it.
However, it is understandable people find "normal" difficulty hard because those players probably don't have enough experience in gaming in general to understand it is actually "normal" and not hard. I've never said anything bad against those people, I never will.
On the other hand, people complaining about "hard" difficulty being too hard not only lack the skills needed to beat this difficulty they also have the biggest ego on earth, they'd rather complain about it online rather than lowering the difficulty. Those people deserve all the insults they get, no matter what their excuse is. Because they are ruining the game for skilled players who enjoy the challenge.

Sorry to write a text wall but you wrote as if I'm randomly insulting everyone here, that is not the case.
i feel you still completely missed the point....

if you call yourself a "veteran" then you should know the difference between good difficulty design vs bad and tedious difficulty design, such as instant death on falling off, and basically Touch of Death combos from bosses. etc etc.
that's what most people are complaining. not because it is hard but bc there are too many tedious designs that is making it hard. good engaging challenge vs tedious annoying task..

and no. refrain from insulting... especially if you are missing the point of the people you are insulting lol.

akitsushima

Apr 28, 2020
if you call yourself a "veteran" then you should know the difference between good difficulty design vs bad and tedious difficulty design, such as instant death on falling off, and basically Touch of Death combos from bosses. etc etc.
that's what most people are complaining. not because it is hard but bc there are too many tedious designs that is making it hard. good engaging challenge vs tedious annoying task..
The main problem is that the dev is too busy catering to people who did nothing but complain about the game, instead of the people who praised the game and love the game as is. The dev could have made additional stages, weapons, and armor as DLC, but they're too busy tweaking the game for special snowflakes instead. Item in the shop that makes enemy attacks instantly kill you? Gotta put a huge warning on that because idiots buy it without reading then complain to the devs afterwards about this "instant kill bug" and it gets tiring to see asshats like these get rewarded. The thing is, those things you are complaining about can be avoided before any patches, and can now be completely negated after the patches.

NORMAL PLAYERS:
1. Falling inflicts instant death? This is a standard in every side-scrolling game like Megaman and Mario. Just get double jump and avoid falling. If there are enemies in the air blocking your path, just cast Frozen Orbs for protection before jumping so you can pass through them without having to attack mid-air which could mess with your jump timing.
2. Enemies could sometimes do infinite combos? Equip heavier armor so you don't get interrupted as often. Cast Frozen Orbs for protection. Since they get hit if they get close, it should interrupt any follow-up combos after they initially hit you. Alternatively, you could equip a heavier weapon so you could stun-lock enemies in place and prevent them from attacking, Blaze Charge might help if you are using this all-out-attack strategy.

AFTER COMPLAINERS WIN:
1. Falling inflicts instant death? There's a skill now that allows you to fly back up, it gets activated by default in EASY mode so you don't even need to learn the skill. There's also a new item that allows you to fly AND get immune to damage for a limited time. Breeze through the game like a SKY GOD.
2. Bosses could sometimes do infinite combos? There's an item that makes you immune to damage for a whole minute, you could even bring FIVE (5) of those items now, making you immune for 5 fucking minutes. Kill all your enemies without taking a single damage like an unstoppable WAR GOD!

inb4, people will still complain because they don't want to use items.

PEOPLE SHOULD LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES. If something isn't working, don't brute force it and try something else. There must be a skill or item that could help you or a weapon that matches your fighting style better. It isn't the dev's job to "fix" the game for you just because you refuse to learn and adapt, you should learn how to play the game instead.

Aug 22, 2021
The point of hard difficulty is it is supposed to be hard and challenging.
No shit. Since you clearly don't want to go back a page, here is the bit you missed.

In truth, you and many others want the game to be difficult, and I understand and agree that hard mode should be difficult. The objections I personally (and many others) raise relate to elements of the game design that make things unfair for no productive reason (e.g. things that kill you that you have little to no opportunity to notice or react to before you die). These include things like instant death pits that are certainly challenging, but if you take a step back and think about it, aren't really fun as much as annoying. Sure, one could sit there and say 'git gud', but many of us would much rather actually enjoy the little free time we have.
I beat the game on hard and enjoyed most of it. However, that is not necessary for me to have a voice and be critical of poor game design.

No matter where you are, no matter how long you have been in a community or how proficient or skilled you are, insults will get you absolutely nowhere. You certainly can, but it doesn't lead to productive discussions.

Aug 22, 2021
That is fair, I hadn't bought a super yet at that point because I was focusing on the movement powers. May have been a bad example.

Just trying to explain the type of design choice we are critiquing.

bloodmane

Dec 6, 2017
welp y'all still missed the point. idk what else to say lmao. clearly you guys don't know the difference between good and bad design.

i think it's not about you guys like it difficult, i think it's about you guys are massive masochists lol..

idk how instant death on falling off(especially on a game with clunky movement), items are permanently used even before a restart(dying), and bosses with no start-up/wind up grabs can be a good design. (note that i have only played the 1st release)

y'all keep saying it's normal for a 2d platformer to have insta death. clearly you havent played many. only a handful has that and most of them FOCUS on platforming like celeste etc etc. HECK even hollow knight doesnt have insta death. also megaman has always been tedious with insta death and im sure everyone would agree and i have finished most of the games from the 1st one to some of the popular releases. This game doesnt have smooth air gameplay for platforming, doesnt make sense to have insta death on fall off.

having insta death on fall off on a game with LIMITED revives is just counter intuitive and tedious. it's not part of a challenge. that's just bad design. idk how anyone would miss that lol.

i have played most of the game in hard and finished most of the levels in hard.. and idk how you guys keep missing that difficulty is supposed to for good reasons.

i guess do everyone a favor and dont design a game lmao. this git gud meme is getting toxic tbh. not seeing what fun design is vs what tedious/counter intuitive design is.

Reactions: spammerkami

Ricewind19901

Feb 12, 2020
having insta death on fall off on a game with LIMITED revives is just counter intuitive and tedious. it's not part of a challenge. that's just bad design. idk how anyone would miss that lol.
So basically the vast, vast majority of platformers?

You know you don't need to take it out on the game if you're bad at it, or the genre in general right? It's not "bad design", you're just bad at platform games.

Aug 22, 2021
So basically the vast, vast majority of platformers?

You know you don't need to take it out on the game if you're bad at it, or the genre in general right? It's not "bad design", you're just bad at platform games.
That is the thing, the point isn't to take it out on the game, it is to discuss design choices that made the game less fun. There isn't supposed to be more in this than there would be a discussion in what you did and didn't like in a movie.

Sure, you can make it so all pits kill you instantly, or you could make it take a big chunk of your health. One of those is a learning experience, while the other is just annoying in my opinion.

I agree it is a staple in a lot of platforms, but that isn't really an argument for it being good design. For the mega man games at least, it was historically done intentionally to artificially extend the game's length by forcing you to replay levels. Even there, the lower difficulties in the newer games made it so you could survive pits and spikes but would take significant damage from them.

You could also add in fall damage to platformers to make it arbitrarily harder, but that doesn't make it fun.

Either way you are free disagree and I for one am happy to discuss. My more aggressive ramblings were directed at those who want to end the discussion virtue of their vast and infinite superiority in all things virtual.

Ricewind19901

Feb 12, 2020
but that isn't really an argument for it being good design
It really is though. Because if it was such bad design, the genre would have done away with that mechanic ages ago. It's still in there and the games still sell. The general consensus is that it's good design for the platform genre.

Don't play platform games if you dislike one of the defining mechanics of the genres.

Aug 22, 2021
This was my answer since you clearly didn't read for some reason:
View attachment 1636887
Since you are sure that game absolutely doesn't give you a chance I want you to prove it, show me your gameplay footage when a boss hit you without giving you a chance.
:WaitWhat:Gonna need a few more circles and arrows before I am invested enough to record my mad gaming skills for you my dude.

Here's my post without parts of it deleted by you in your reply:
View attachment 1636954
I'm gonna need an explanation for this other than "I didn't even read TL;DR".
The ellipses mean I removed language which unnecessarily extended the length of your statement. Since all you appeared to say were the last three words, I figured that was enough. My apologies.

Seriously, (and this question is rhetorical in case it isn't clear) do you have nothing better to do than tell others their opinion doesn't matter because you are hardcore?

You are obviously free to have your opinion and voice it here. I just wanted to point out that decreeing every opinion other than yours as worthless is not insightful, its just rude.

If you want to talk (or bicker) more, just PM me. I think everyone else on this thread is quite fed up with this argument :)

Aug 22, 2021
Because if it was such bad design, the genre would have done away with that mechanic ages ago.
Uhh, they kinda did though? Some games (particularly games favoring nostalgia) still do it for sure but I wouldn't say that is the standard anymore. Some recent examples include:
- Hollow Knight
- Metroid Dread
- Dead Cells
- Ori (I and II)
- Katana Zero
- Cuphead

Either way though, I just don't like instant death pits. The dev adding in an optional skill to remove them was a tactful solution.

Reactions: anonymusalt

Ricewind19901

Feb 12, 2020
Uhh, they kinda did though?
They really, really didn't. You naming a list of 6 recent (lol @ recent) games does not mean the genre as a whole did away with the mechanic.

I just don't like instant death pits
Exactly the point of your post. YOU specifically don't like it. That's a terrible reason to call something "bad game design"

aptonoth

May 4, 2020
How in the heck do I get the knight special ability unlock on stage 10 its by 3 long chains and I cant get my special attack to stick anywhere useful or my jump attack.

aptonoth

May 4, 2020
Is there a way to improve my jumps and get them higher and further? I'm seeing tons of jumps I just can't make for some reason. Starting to get bored of this game the monster scenes have too much goblins and I'm at grim reaper and getting my ass kicked. How are people powering up their jumps so much?

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 105 Votes