Shtradha

Apr 12, 2018
The truck stop prostitution apparently takes high priority, which includes fleshing out some existing characters. The original intend was to focus on that before moving on to Flatmates Pt. 2

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
Any mods or somethings like that are possible on this game ?
Technically yes, but they can be difficult to implement in renpy. Like other than adding cheats (already in this game) and unlocking a gallery (no gallery in this) it's hard. You basically need to redo pretty much everything with every game update.

Gibberish666

Mar 17, 2019
Sam_Tail
I have previously mentioned pricing items in the game before, and claimed a lot of the costs of items in your game being arbitrary and overpriced. With the v0.3.2.05 build, I can see the new items you're adding are priced in the same way.

I looked up the price ranges of some of these things. Not every item, just enough to get an idea. This list is based on prices I found mostly on Amazon or Etsy. Brand name clothing could be easily be 2x or even up to 5x the given price ranges.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It's mostly the items you have that cost $100 or more that are troublesome. A lot of them are easily more than 5x the cost of what they are IRL. With some prices being as high as $500 ($700 for the maid outfit) it only serves to prevent the player from accessing content over unncessary grind.

With the game's economy as it currently is, The Fixer leans towards having the same problem as those RPGM adult dungeon crawlers where the goal of the game is to reach the end of the dungeon and not see any sex events, and only get scenes by losing. In other words, the goals behind the intended audience and the game itself contradict each other: lewding is difficult, purity is easy. This makes absolutely zero sense when a game is meant to be played for the lewds.

I am not saying you ought to adjust the prices of every item down to what they are IRL to make the game more realistic. I am recommending many of the item costs should be reduced because high costs of lewd items discourage a more lewd MC. The IRL pricing should only serve as a guideline to achieve a game economy that is more in-line with the design of an AVN like Fixer: lewding should be easy, purity should be more difficult. When the world has gone to shit, it's harder to get nice things and keep to the high road, and easier to take the low road with whatever you can get your hands on. I think the game's shop economy ought to reflect that.

If you agree with my reasoning, consider trying to keep things between 1.5 and 3x its IRL value; and determine the price modifier as higher or lower depending on how lewd the item is, and/or if the item's function is purely costmetic. So a T-shirt should probably cost $80, not 200. Short gym shorts $30, not $180. Crotchless panties, $20, not $150. Hair dye, $50, not $500. A permament marker $2, not $150.

Last edited:
Reactions: jura7

Penitensary

May 10, 2020
While true, it's also a setting where the world has gone to shit, and it is very likely most mechanical processing will have shut down as well. That in turn means a lot of stuff, either completed or its base materials, comes out of an ever shrinking pool of available materials. That would jack the price up quite a bit. Even permanent marker requires a mixture of chemicals, and $2 would simply be way too cheap for what would now be a lot of manual labor as the ingredients you would be using would also need to be made by hand. If anything, there would be a wider collection of (stronger) alcohol available as people would be brewing their own from wood burning stills, currently only Haven has something of the sort with everything else (even the Bar) only serving beer.

I would however disagree that purity is the easier route though. To remain pure means a dedication to keeping your stats up high enough to avoid said content, including the elusive Willpower, and not engaging in the (ingame) goldmine that is selling herself in order to easily make her rent payments. Lewding is as easy as not caring how drunk Sammy gets or how low her stats are when she walks around in a skimpy outfit in the middle of the night... and having an easier time affording rent and Nice Things to boot.

I am kind of curious why you believe the goal of the game is to not see sex events. It's what i prefer to do myself, but i know that is my own personal choice and the game doesn't slap you on the fingers if Sammy goes around with more people inside her than the town bus and had enough kids to populate a small village. So where would you get that idea?

Reactions: tseug and Axismundi

kvier

Apr 30, 2018
The pursuit of realism in a game is a great way to accidentally make it not fun anymore.

High prices on everything, even if extremely realistic, aren't fun.

Gibberish666

Mar 17, 2019
While true, it's also a setting where the world has gone to shit, and it is very likely most mechanical processing will have shut down as well. That in turn means a lot of stuff, either completed or its base materials, comes out of an ever shrinking pool of available materials. That would jack the price up quite a bit. Even permanent marker requires a mixture of chemicals, and $2 would simply be way too cheap for what would now be a lot of manual labor as the ingredients you would be using would also need to be made by hand. If anything, there would be a wider collection of (stronger) alcohol available as people would be brewing their own from wood burning stills, currently only Haven has something of the sort with everything else (even the Bar) only serving beer.
I agree that if the world has goes to shit prices of goods would all go up, hence why I'm still okay with some item cost inflation. But we don't actually know how high prices would go - or for which items. Look at when COVID hit, it was reasonable to expect the price of water would go up, but not toilet paper. All that aside, for the sake of being able to play the game and access content in a timely fashion, prices should still be reasonable.

I would however disagree that purity is the easier route though. To remain pure means a dedication to keeping your stats up high enough to avoid said content, including the elusive Willpower, and not engaging in the (ingame) goldmine that is selling herself in order to easily make her rent payments. Lewding is as easy as not caring how drunk Sammy gets or how low her stats are when she walks around in a skimpy outfit in the middle of the night... and having an easier time affording rent and Nice Things to boot.
Right, Fixer is pretty good about this in general. Lewding isn't hard in Fixer. But I'm talking specifically about the cost of items and how they do not reflect that. It's harder to get lewd clothes because many of them cost so much. For example, the landlord will ask you to get a maid outfit. You can't see any of that content until you've saved up $700, at which point you could just as easily pay for rent almost twice, before accounting for the labor of cleaning the apartment. That doesn't make much sense to me, as far as achieving game goals (ie, lewding).

I am kind of curious why you believe the goal of the game is to not see sex events. It's what i prefer to do myself, but i know that is my own personal choice and the game doesn't slap you on the fingers if Sammy goes around with more people inside her than the town bus and had enough kids to populate a small village. So where would you get that idea?
I believe the opposite, that the goal of Fixer is to see sex events. I don't know where or how you read I felt the opposite. But some people might try for a pure route, and it should be difficult. Well, if lewd clothes are expensive and regular clothes are either cheap or moderately costly, then the opposite effect is achieved.

Last edited:

Penitensary

May 10, 2020
I agree that because the world has gone to shit that the prices would go up. Hence why I'm still okay with some item cost inflation. But we don't actually know how high the prices of things would go for - and what items. I mean, look at when COVID hit, I expected the price of water would go up, not toilet paper. For the sake of being able to play the game, in a timely fashion, is another reason why I suggest pricing things between 1.5x and 3x, not 10x.
From a game standpoint i can somewhat understand, in that once you buy all the things there is no longer a reason to save up beyond making rent, so as a natural reaction you try to push that point as far ahead as possible. Rent helps with this since you're never really done with paying it and as such works as a money sink, though as a result store prices would indeed need some rebalancing as Sammy now has several hundred of disposable income less to spend each week.

Right, Fixer is pretty good about this in general. I'm talking specifically about the cost of items. It's harder to get lewd items because they cost so much. Like with the landlord, he will ask you to get a maid outfit. Well, you can't see any of that content until you've saved up $700, at which point you could just as easily pay for rent almost twice, before accounting for the labor of cleaning the apartment. I see this as backwards.
Ah, i see what you mean. I thought you were talking about the game in general. And yeah, it is kind of backwards that, in order to get discounts on rent, Oskar is expecting you to pony up for something that expensive. A better option would be him providing the uniform (like with the Bar work) as part of your duties, but being unable to take it home with you, and only when buying it would it actually get added to your wardrobe.

I believe the opposite, that the goal of Fixer is to see sex events. I don't know where or how you read I felt the opposite. But some people might try for a pure route, and it should be difficult. Well, if lewd clothes are expensive and regular clothes are either cheap or moderately costly, then the opposite effect is achieved.
Ah, to be fair that may have been due to this quote:

With the game's economy as it currently is, The Fixer leans towards having the same problem as those RPGM adult dungeon crawlers where the goal of the game is to reach the end of the dungeon and not see any sex events, and only get scenes by losing. In other words, the goals behind the intended audience and the game itself contradict each other: lewding is difficult, purity is easy. This makes absolutely zero sense when a game is meant to be played for the lewds.
You mentioned that The Fixer was leaning towards the same problem of favoring a 'pure' run over lewd ones. That was what i was talking about when i asked why you felt that was the current game's goal, rather than your view that the goal should be on watching lewd scenes.

In all fairness, that may just be a balance thing as lewd players tend to have a lot more disposable income, so lewd items are comparatively more expensive to counteract that. Ingame one could reason that the demand for lewd items is a lot higher with the popularity of prostitution in the area and that is reflected in the price points, but i see your point.

Gibberish666

Mar 17, 2019
You mentioned that The Fixer was leaning towards the same problem of favoring a 'pure' run over lewd ones. That was what i was talking about when i asked why you felt that was the current game's goal, rather than your view that the goal should be on watching lewd scenes.

In all fairness, that may just be a balance thing as lewd players tend to have a lot more disposable income, so lewd items are comparatively more expensive to counteract that. Ingame one could reason that the demand for lewd items is a lot higher with the popularity of prostitution in the area and that is reflected in the price points, but i see your point.
I think I see the misunderstanding. I'm making the comparison in "relation to." I think it's a mistake to disincentivize sex scenes and lewd content in an adult game. Expensive sexy clothing creates a barrier to achieving exactly that. It's not a tall barrier, but we do agree it is unbalanced as things are.

I think as the game continues to be developed more money sinks will eventually get added, and the high prices are leftover from the old economy. But the way I see it, excess funds during the development process is hardly a problem. The end result is what we all care about.

I'm also starting to vaguely remember Sam_Tail may have mentioned they're already planning on reducing the prices of items in the future, and I may have forgotten. Ultimately, whether the cost of items is set now or later, the end result is the same. I think it would be less work to set them correctly now instead of later. But if that's how Sam_Tail wants to roll, who am I to argue?

Penitensary

May 10, 2020
To be fair, it would make sense for prices to get reduced now that money sinks are being added to the game, since (for example) rent now means you won't need to keep adding enough items to the game to convince players to spend around 400 per week on it. Lewd items are likely to remain more expensive though, as Lewd income will almost always beat non-lewd income levels.

Reactions: Fizel

XulOnTuesday

Aug 7, 2022
Is scavenging now the only way to obtain lighter fluid in Haven? It looks like there's a 1-in-1200 chance of grabbing it per round, 1-in-300 per attempt, or a 50% chance of getting it after 208 scavenge attempts. I don't want to be in Haven that long.

KiraKiraKira

Aug 27, 2018
Is scavenging now the only way to obtain lighter fluid in Haven? It looks like there's a 1-in-1200 chance of grabbing it per round, 1-in-300 per attempt, or a 50% chance of getting it after 208 scavenge attempts. I don't want to be in Haven that long.
Unfortunately, that's not how RNG really works. :( But you could use the add items cheat to or do some savescumming to save a bit of time, maybe.

XulOnTuesday

Aug 7, 2022
Unfortunately, that's not how RNG really works. :( But you could use the add items cheat to or do some savescumming to save a bit of time, maybe.
That's what I wound up doing, but cheating to get the golden ending feels bad man. What do you mean, that's not how RNG really works?

KiraKiraKira

Aug 27, 2018
That's what I wound up doing, but cheating to get the golden ending feels bad man. What do you mean, that's not how RNG really works?
No shame for that one, I've never found the lighter fluid without cheating it lol.

But why... that's a complex answer (too complex for me). Simple answer is gambler's fallacy, the incorrect idea that previous chances impact the current one. Each attempt is independent of the others, not additive.

Sam_Tail

Game Developer
Aug 31, 2020
Sam_Tail
I have previously mentioned pricing items in the game before, and claimed a lot of the costs of items in your game being arbitrary and overpriced. With the v0.3.2.05 build, I can see the new items you're adding are priced in the same way.

I looked up the price ranges of some of these things. Not every item, just enough to get an idea. This list is based on prices I found mostly on Amazon or Etsy. Brand name clothing could be easily be 2x or even up to 5x the given price ranges.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It's mostly the items you have that cost $100 or more that are troublesome. A lot of them are easily more than 5x the cost of what they are IRL. With some prices being as high as $500 ($700 for the maid outfit) it only serves to prevent the player from accessing content over unncessary grind.

I am not saying you ought to adjust the prices of every item down to what they are IRL to make the game more realistic. I am recommending many of the item costs should be reduced because high costs of lewd items discourage a more lewd MC. The IRL pricing should only serve as a guideline to achieve a game economy that is more in-line with the design of an AVN like Fixer: lewding should be easy, purity should be more difficult. When the world has gone to shit, it's harder to get nice things and keep to the high road, and easier to take the low road with whatever you can get your hands on. I think the game's shop economy ought to reflect that.

If you agree with my reasoning, consider trying to keep things between 1.5 and 3x its IRL value; and determine the price modifier as higher or lower depending on how lewd the item is, and/or if the item's function is purely costmetic. So a T-shirt should probably cost $80, not 200. Short gym shorts $30, not $180. Crotchless panties, $20, not $150. Hair dye, $50, not $500. A permament marker $2, not $150.
I remember this topic coming up before and I agreed, and agree with what you say now. Have been meaning to adjust prices based around the new economy but it keeps skipping my mind or getting pushed back. Now that rent is in in a simple form, it is something I need to revisit soon.

That is for the RNG. It also has a fixed location in the lounge next to the fire. Scav there when the room is empty and you will find it.

3.90 star(s) 55 Votes