Ren'Py Abandoned The Fox Goddess's Village Rework [v0.13a] [Master Hyo]

3.50 star(s) 6 Votes

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Let's imagine a ball is either black or white, no other option is available.

You might say "It's black".
I might say "It's white...".

This leaves me wiggle room for opening further debate on it. Or perhaps making my reservations on my convictions known. Maybe my eyesight is not what it once was. Perhaps my teachers played a cruel trick on me and taught me the opposite colours. Maybe the angle of the light is weird, or the sun is in my eyes.

That kinda thing, but mentally...

(And no, using it after every sentence is not the usual... But I've Seen American Reviewers Capitalise Every Word. Is This Not Overuse?)
I think I better understand the use of ellipses as you describe it now. Thanks for the example.

American reviewers doing that don't know proper capitalization, then. It's absolutely not acceptable to do what you're describing. I've noticed an irritating trend, at least among Americans. There seems to be this feeling that, because you speak English as your first language, you must be some kind of expert in it. By that logic, because I drive a car daily I must be an automobile mechanic. With that attitude, then, if you try to explain where they've erred, they will reject what you say, usually with some justification of their mistake.

Combine the arrogance of the average American in their (mis)use of English with the atrociousness of the public education system in America, and it doesn't surprise me that those kinds of errors happen. It doesn't excuse them, but it doesn't surprise me, either.

• Love
Reactions: Zenithtb

Hyohyo

Mar 3, 2019
Just pls don't change the breast size. Giant breasts that won't stay in a woman's shirt is super common, especially with this anime art style in games. :)

But seriously, this is your game, so do it how you'd like. I think it's great that you're open to suggestions and criticism, but ultimately make sure it's something you're happy with. I would hate to have you burn out creating a game that is someone else's dream instead of your own.
Don't you worry, the boobies will stay as they are. And I was talking about the minor things, such a bugs, grammar stuff and little changes. (I already changed these things yesterday, they will come in the next update on sunday).

I am sitting down and completely redoing the animation though (just the pictures, the underlaying models will stay the same.)

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Came for the little boobs stayed for the English lesson.....HAHAAA!!!..no boners here folks..move along!!!
By the way,are we grading on a curve?
It's true. We got way off topic. So far, I really like this game. There are some very interesting things going on: villager characteristics, the ceremony, and what happened to the MC. And the models are very nice. You've started off well, Hyohyo. I'm definitely intrigued.

hopeless

Oct 29, 2017
Not for nothing there is a saying: tits or get the fuck out.
and with tits they mean big tits

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Things I do not want to read when it comes to describing a first version of a game.
Little content and grinding.

passiveDragon

Aug 28, 2017
Fhe fact that 'convince' is always written as "confince" is actually the only thing that i don't like in this game (among other words, such as "perf" instead of 'perv'). Everything else is fine in my eyes, for a first version ^^.

passiveDragon

Aug 28, 2017
I'd also recommend working on the day mechanics. Just have it switch to sleeping instead of forcing the player to try and get out of the room and the resign to just clicking the only option left.
You will probably also add a way to see the time left until night right? These changes would make gameplay in the future feel much smoother.

Hyohyo

Mar 3, 2019
I'd also recommend working on the day mechanics. Just have it switch to sleeping instead of forcing the player to try and get out of the room and the resign to just clicking the only option left.
You will probably also add a way to see the time left until night right? These changes would make gameplay in the future feel much smoother.
I will most certainly change the sleep automatics, but honestly, I'm too much of a noob in renpy (or programming) to program an actual time keeping algorithm. I'm basically completely self-taught and I've only ever programmed this game, so please bear with me. Also regarding grammar. I'm not a nativ speaker so there is bound to be a bunch of stupid mistakes. I will try to weed them out as I see em.

Reactions: Zenithtb

Hyohyo

Mar 3, 2019
alot of members of the forum are ren'py gods..as you seem a nice person am sure one may eventually toss you a couple tips to help you out...lot of good folks here willing to chip in ..of course you can hurry the process by going to the https://f95zone.to/forums/programming-development-art.73/ thread ..checking it out..and placing a request.
Thanks mate. Currently the thing I need most, are proper animated Backgrounds. I will try and ask if someone can help me with that

voyeurkind

Jan 26, 2018
* I can actually read the text. Hallelujah!

* Reperatures? I assume 'repairs' is intended.

* I'm guessing 'Usually tall' is meant to be 'Unusually tall.'

* 'Spazzed out' or 'Spaced out'?

* 'embarrassment'

* Many more spelling errors. I'll stop listing them.

* I guess this is a sandbox, bu I have nod idea how to proceed. Some sort of quest log would be nice.

* How can I tell what time of day it is?

* Why does it say "it's monday" every time I enter my room?

* If the only option for the time and location is sleeping, why not just say 'You sleep and wake refreshed the next morning' instead of the option button? Option buttons make no sense when there's only one option.

* Naming the MC would be nice.

* Days pass very quickly in this game.

* Is money a thing in this game? Is there an inventory?

* I feel like this should be more fun, but I'm kind of bored.

Okay, I quit after the end of Thursday because I wasn't enjoying myself.

I don't think that the problem here is one of concept, but rather of execution. I think the interface could use a lot of work, as there seem to be a lot of things missing, like a timestamp, an inventory, etc. It's possible the developer intends to add these things over time, but they really should be there with the initial release.

Additionally, I think the game needs to take the player by the hand and offer some guidance in terms of goals/quests. Playing it, I felt like "Okay, I' m home, now what?" If I were the dev, I wouldn't want the people playing my game to feel like they don't understand what to do next.

Also, I wanted to see a contrast between the girls who've been in the village all of their lives versus the ones who just moved there. I think it would have been good to show that the villagers looked forward to the ritual and were happy to take part whereas the two sisters were apprehensive.

Overall, I wanted to like this game, but I just found it lacking on the execution side.

Hyohyo

Mar 3, 2019
* I can actually read the text. Hallelujah!

* Reperatures? I assume 'repairs' is intended.

* I'm guessing 'Usually tall' is meant to be 'Unusually tall.'

* 'Spazzed out' or 'Spaced out'?

* 'embarrassment'

* Many more spelling errors. I'll stop listing them.

* I guess this is a sandbox, bu I have nod idea how to proceed. Some sort of quest log would be nice.

* How can I tell what time of day it is?

* Why does it say "it's monday" every time I enter my room?

* If the only option for the time and location is sleeping, why not just say 'You sleep and wake refreshed the next morning' instead of the option button? Option buttons make no sense when there's only one option.

* Naming the MC would be nice.

* Days pass very quickly in this game.

* Is money a thing in this game? Is there an inventory?

* I feel like this should be more fun, but I'm kind of bored.

Okay, I quit after the end of Thursday because I wasn't enjoying myself.

I don't think that the problem here is one of concept, but rather of execution. I think the interface could use a lot of work, as there seem to be a lot of things missing, like a timestamp, an inventory, etc. It's possible the developer intends to add these things over time, but they really should be there with the initial release.

Additionally, I think the game needs to take the player by the hand and offer some guidance in terms of goals/quests. Playing it, I felt like "Okay, I' m home, now what?" If I were the dev, I wouldn't want the people playing my game to feel like they don't understand what to do next.

Also, I wanted to see a contrast between the girls who've been in the village all of their lives versus the ones who just moved there. I think it would have been good to show that the villagers looked forward to the ritual and were happy to take part whereas the two sisters were apprehensive.

Overall, I wanted to like this game, but I just found it lacking on the execution side.
Hi, this is a sandbox and I'm not sure yet whether I will make the choices obvious or not. The current version is also very basic, so there isn't a lot to do yet. Once you have completed the introduction (ending with the ceremony) you should end up in your room. After that it should take you direktly to an event with both main girls. This unlocks a few options once you visit them in their rooms.

Actually I'm really unsure how you could have problems finding events. They are pretty much unmissable if you move around a bit.

I will look into a way to create a timestamp (bear with me, I'm a complete noob in programming).

There is no inventory as there are no items to store there, so I don't really see a reason why there should be one.

There should be a clear contrast between Tomo and Mei during their inspections, also more such content is coming in the following updates.

All in all, I know that there is a bunch of work to do, but I really can't understand how you could have had trouble getting around the game. The first impulse of any person is usually to look around and once you move around you should find a lot of stuff to do. Actually just unlocking all currently available options should take till Thursday and after that there is still an event on saturday. If you could tell me what exactly you would like to see as guidance I could look into this problem

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

voyeurkind

Jan 26, 2018
I didn't have any issues moving around in the game, but rather I was unsure of what I was trying to accomplish. Am I attempting to corrupt the sisters? Figure out what's special about the village? Uncover some deep, dark secret? Without any sort of goal, I felt I was just wandering around without any sort of purpose or direction.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I just felt the game didn't do a good enough job of outlining it's purpose. Is it a dating sim? Are there puzzles? Is there any sort of goal? What am I attempting to accomplish? I'm not asking to be led by the hand through the game, but rather for a goal that leads to the next goal, etc.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Hi, this is a sandbox and I'm not sure yet whether I will make the choices obvious or not. The current version is also very basic, so there isn't a lot to do yet. Once you have completed the introduction (ending with the ceremony) you should end up in your room. After that it should take you direktly to an event with both main girls. This unlocks a few options once you visit them in their rooms.

Actually I'm really unsure how you could have problems finding events. They are pretty much unmissable if you move around a bit.

I will look into a way to create a timestamp (bear with me, I'm a complete noob in programming).

There is no inventory as there are no items to store there, so I don't really see a reason why there should be one.

There should be a clear contrast between Tomo and Mei during their inspections, also more such content is coming in the following updates.

All in all, I know that there is a bunch of work to do, but I really can't understand how you could have had trouble getting around the game. The first impulse of any person is usually to look around and once you move around you should find a lot of stuff to do. Actually just unlocking all currently available options should take till Thursday and after that there is still an event on saturday. If you could tell me what exactly you would like to see as guidance I could look into this problem
I didn't have any issues moving around in the game, but rather I was unsure of what I was trying to accomplish. Am I attempting to corrupt the sisters? Figure out what's special about the village? Uncover some deep, dark secret? Without any sort of goal, I felt I was just wandering around without any sort of purpose or direction.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I just felt the game didn't do a good enough job of outlining it's purpose. Is it a dating sim? Are there puzzles? Is there any sort of goal? What am I attempting to accomplish? I'm not asking to be led by the hand through the game, but rather for a goal that leads to the next goal, etc.
This is a good example of how expectations of players vary greatly. I had no difficulty whatsoever in going from event to interaction to event. I found it fairly obvious what the goal is: You are a scientist and are investigating why this village is so different from elsewhere in Japan. Things like taking measurements, asking questions, participating in the ceremony, etc., all are part of that purpose: investigation. Given the ceremony, it seems clear you will eventually look further into what happened and why.

Since this is a v0.01, effectively pre-beta release, I think what you had was fine. I didn't struggle with time of day, days of the week, interactions with any of the girls, etc. Can the game use polishing? Sure. Is it incredibly tricky or confusing? Not for me. Also, btw, I noticed a difference between Kiho and Mei at the ceremony and the rest of the village women. While all women seemed a bit uncomfortable with things, K & M were especially flushed, with Mei even tearing up. Also, the opening line from Mei is "Why the heck did we have to move to this shithole village?" Though only in a small way, that line helps set her attitude apart from the normal village girls. I do agree, though, that while some of the lifetime village girls might be uncomfortable with the ceremony, it would make sense that some of them would be even excited about it, since it's a part of their traditions. (Some people like and respect tradition, others don't.)

I do agree that a slower pace to get to going topless would be better, and there are ofc things that could be improved. But for most of what was listed, I don't feel like those things "really should be there with the initial release". They can just be added with subsequent releases. [shrug]

Reactions: Hyohyo

Hyohyo

Mar 3, 2019
Version 0.1.2 is out. Check out the Changelog to see the new changes (which are kinda vage cause I can't remember what belongs in this version and what was already there in the last one). Focused mostly on interaction with Mei and Kiho, but there are story relevant parts hidden. Also, the next update will contain more story and unlock two new girls to interact with.

Don't use old saves. They won't work. (The game isn't that long either way and there is a lot I have changed).

3.50 star(s) 6 Votes