jwolf09

Oct 18, 2020
You make it sound like half of the game is locked behind a paywall, yes you don't get certain parts but, if the dev can't afford electricity you wouldn't get any parts.

Yea cause everyone likes cut content. If all of the game was available more people would support the dev to see more. Thats how the basic of a decent free game works. If parts of the game are locked or cut for the sake of making money he or she is going to have a harder time paying bills.

• Angry
Reactions: jjjjj1076701

robertomp12

Feb 18, 2019
Yeah, code is still tart, but old saves just won't work because they're old, nothing artificial there (it'll just take you back to Main Menu in this case). Never launch the game and attempt a load with a code unless you backup your saves *AND* the persistent, the developer purposefully ruins them (which is illegal in the US, ruled on in mid to early 2000s, it's considered damaging someone's property, *shrug*). Cute attempt at a disclaimer for that, though. Will take time later to write up how to unmark saves and such when needed. Find it funny to throw DRM into something that uses many of the same models from other free games. xD
I used the code but still the game crashed due to hacked game

ravendarklock

Jun 30, 2019
A whole lot of hostility coming through...

We have not disabled the save editors. The mcstats are not duel variables. The beast and incest cheats work fine. The game is virtually grind free and doesn't need a mod in our humble opinion, but if you're not enjoying it without a mod, please feel free to play someone else's game.
WRONG! I started a new game, and did NOT use incest, nor any other cheat. It still gave the "hacked game detected" message, and shut down. You screwed the pooch on this one.
Make the gamers happy, and you succeed, make them disgusted, and you lose business REAL quick

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
I used the code but still the game crashed due to hacked game
Saves only work +1 version it appears, and if the author changes codes then it'll blacklist and ruin old saves on purpose. New file, clear your persistent file.
WRONG! I started a new game, and did NOT use incest, nor any other cheat. It still gave the "hacked game detected" message, and shut down. You screwed the pooch on this one.
Make the gamers happy, and you succeed, make them disgusted, and you lose business REAL quick
See my post above. They blacklist installations (not saves) by using persistent. Persistent == a unique file per Ren'Py game, it survives save-deletes and new-games. Close game, delete the persistent and your saves, then start new. Every version. By the way, don't act like a douche for the reasons you've specified. You've obviously not paid for it, that's the only reason for this. *roll eyes*

torchkc

Jul 23, 2021
I'm a bit confused. I came here to find out why the game would exit when using a Dev supplied code, only to find out that said dev is creating a single player game with anti-cheating?
Isn't it my own business how I decide to enjoy a single player game that has *no impact* on other players?
Isn't it also my own problem if I opt to use mods that end up fucking up my copy of this single player game?

Uhh, ok. Fuck that dev. Moving along.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
This was my FIRST time playing it, EVER. Wouldn't complain, except for that.
...Uh huh... *roll eyes* Nothing wrong with being a legitimate pirate, you know. No need to fib.
I'm a bit confused. I came here to find out why the game would exit when using a Dev supplied code, only to find out that said dev is creating a single player game with anti-cheating?
Isn't it my own business how I decide to enjoy a single player game that has *no impact* on other players?
Isn't it also my own problem if I opt to use mods that end up fucking up my copy of this single player game?

Uhh, ok. Fuck that dev. Moving along.
Yes and no. Using a non-current Patreon Code will ruin saves and permanently mark your installation, preventing you from using your saves or even starting a new game. You must delete your persistent file and all saves, then retry with the latest Patreon code. A bit fucking stupid, but they're set on making the game 50% DRM and 45% grind+ and 5% content. *Never* load a save with a non-current Patreon Code, or they become ruined, permanently, same for your persistent file (which survives New games). Their DRM (poorly implemented, might I add) will prevent almost all modding. Definitely recommend passing.

As it stands (as of 9/1/21):

The game uses Patreon Code(s) to unlock some content. Nothing wrong with that, but the author's DRM is oppressive and disgustingly disruptive. If you attempt to mod some things or cheat outside their means, your save is corrupted purposefully and your Ren'Py persistent file is marked to prevent being played. If you use the latest Patreon Code (for that release!), it can unmark some saves, but only if you haven't attempted to load them with a non-current (to that release!) Patreon Code.

To reset your situation, delete the following (warning, this clears all saves and settings, required):

Windows: %APPDATA%/RenPy/TheHardWay-1606287672
Mac OS: ~/Library/RenPy/TheHardWay-1606287672
Linux: ~/.renpy/TheHardWay-1606287672

You can then create a new game with the current (for that release) Patreon Code, and it will work. Don't bother trying to use old saves with new versions without the new version Patreon Code, or you'll get marked again. Otherwise, you'll have to redo this all over again. Developer is far more concerned with DRM to prevent piracy, as if it will force people to Patreon. ...Summertime Saga uses no DRM and makes $30k/m. Who knows wtf they're thinking. Nothing wrong with a simple DRM, but destructively ruining things (modifying and marking saves) is illegal in the US, ruled in favor of some guy in mid to early 2000s, despite them pirating). A simple messaging and exit is fine, but eh.. Anyway, I'm too busy to provide any future updates really (this was a one-off anyway for a friend, and they've decided not to continue playing because it is just a grinder), or I'd just provide updated workarounds every month. There is a series of console commands you can use to repair a save and unmark everything and clean up, but it is just tedious. I'm just too busy to keep updating. *trying to desperately to get the fuck out of this country*

Last edited:
Reactions: puller123

ravendarklock

Jun 30, 2019
Saves only work +1 version it appears, and if the author changes codes then it'll blacklist and ruin old saves on purpose. New file, clear your persistent file.

See my post above. They blacklist installations (not saves) by using persistent. Persistent == a unique file per Ren'Py game, it survives save-deletes and new-games. Close game, delete the persistent and your saves, then start new. Every version. By the way, don't act like a douche for the reasons you've specified. You've obviously not paid for it, that's the only reason for this. *roll eyes*
This was my FIRST time playing it, EVER. Wouldn't complain, except for that.

torchkc

Jul 23, 2021
Yes and no. Using a non-current Patreon Code will ruin saves and permanently mark your installation, preventing you from using your saves or even starting a new game. You must delete your persistent file and all saves, then retry with the latest Patreon code. A bit fucking stupid, but they're set on making the game 50% DRM and 45% grind+ and 5% content. *Never* load a save with a non-current Patreon Code, or they become ruined, permanently, same for your persistent file (which survives New games). Their DRM (poorly implemented, might I add) will prevent almost all modding. Definitely recommend passing.
I suppose my main confusion stems from the fact that it's a single player game. I see absolutely no logical purpose to waste time on that, aside from the sole purpose of making money off it (which it sounds like they're doing by selling 'legitimate cheats'?).

Multi player? Sure, anti-cheat the fuck out of it. But not single player.

Altaviat

May 16, 2017
Just for fun trashed some protection checks, changed 1-2 lines of code... No more "hacked" messages or exits, but still not worth efforts to have full-scale mod or hack.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Just for fun trashed some protection checks, changed 1-2 lines of code... Still not worth efforts to have full-scale mod or hack.
Did the same, easy to protect new saves (and to prevent bs “omg haxor I so scared” crap), just a hassle to fix old saves.

Mirewen

Aug 28, 2017
just 1 word comes to mind : pathetic
grinding game with loads of errors (and I don't even mean the shit dev pulled to make it anti hacking)
guess he doesn't mind people actually not wanting to play, even for free.
my advice: don't even try, waist of time.
plenty games here to do have fun

aa.wallace

Feb 21, 2019
have no idea what to do after talking to jena at the kindergarten what should i do next

Last edited:

Hyperserver

often the biggest step forward is to "step back"
Donor
Jun 30, 2018
eh, can't play cuz it says I hacked it... GL dev, maybe focus on story and UI than how to stop hacking... hackers will always have more time than the devs.
you are so right......

There is ONE developer, but several anti-hacker-modders.

Yukemoto

Jun 19, 2020
I actually love the weird concept., the next best thing to procedurally generated chicks is a fuckton of them..
but this dev seems to be going out of his way to make sure this game does not succeed in any form or fashion.

3.00 star(s) 148 Votes