ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
It's the thory. In practice you pay to have the monthly content hidden behind a paywall.
It would be to support if the work was free from the start, which isn't the case.
That's case by case. It's perfectly possible for a content creator to park everything there without a paywall and just operate the place like a tip jar, and I've seen that done. Traditionally, artists with patrons would offer their biggest benefactors bonuses such as first refusal on purchasing of a new piece which would equate to paywalling store access by today's standards I guess. I've seen some creators do something similar on Patreon actually, by granting access to purchasing limited merch such as artbooks and prints before they go public... if they don't sell out before then.

The sad fact of the matter is that people sub on Patreon with expectations without actually looking into what they're being offered, and then they get upset when the expectations they've made aren't met.
Game development is generally a very slow process, especially when you want a quality product. It's not like a skilled digital artist who can pump out 1 or 2 pieces per week and simultaneously maybe even produce variants of their work or a writer who can just dump their latest fan fiction document into a post every time they finish a chapter, art and writing and coding and UX design and in the case of working with 3D even virtual cinematography skills such as lighting and shot composition etc. all come into play with these kinds of projects. Anyone expecting speedy releases on the regular in exchange for their money probably shouldn't even consider supporting a game project that's a work in progress.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
It's the thory. In practice you pay to have the monthly content hidden behind a paywall.
It would be to support if the work was free from the start, which isn't the case.
I can understand not wanting to buy the proverbial pig in the poke if you do not have access to information. But there's a solution to that: don't. A creator isn't obliged to do anything except for what they definitely promise - and the supporter can then decide whether it's worth it to support or not.

Yes, creators can offer anything for Patreons, like access to stuff behind a paywall. And then they have to deliver on that. It makes sense, since it is an incentive. It of course also is wise to have some "taste what is to come" so new patreons can be recruited, but you don't have to.

As Stagwood mentioned, the other way round is wrong (on Patreon). You cannot pay and then expect something because you paid if it wasn't explicitely promised. If somebody seems shady or milky or lazy or is too unknown a quantity - just don't support. That's all there is to it.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
We'll have to pray that another service steps up. In the meantime, life will be pain.

> JDownloader 2

I just tried this out of curiosity. Without proxies for now, just to see how much faster it would be to download 0.11 from the three sources simultaneously. I must be using it wrong because it was somehow slower than a straight up download from Gofile in Firefox. Basically 300KBs instead of 700KBs. Damn I will miss Nopy.
There are some good ones, though some of those are limited to 500gig, like Zippy and YourFileStore.
GoFile is good, but if you are not a patron there, they remove any file that is inactive for a week.
We Transfer has a 2gig limit with out a paid account. $12/mo. for 200gig file size limite and 2tb storage.
Work Upload is okay speeds, but has a 2 gig limit, but no limit on the number of files, so it can be broken into parts...
Upload Haven is too slow, with like 500kps.
Anon makes them look fast.
Most of the other have redirect links and other restrictions that make them a pain to use, especially with a downloader.

The best one, and closest to Nopy I have seen so far is Media Fire.

Reactions: Plumbogummite

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Mega mostly works fine for me , if the data to download is < 3GB. But Nopy had less breakdowns while the downloads.
Experiences can differ. On a good day Nopy was the quickest of them. On a bad day a cat 5 houses up the street sneezing would cause it to break down. And some days that cat sneezed a lot ...

Reactions: TheDevian

AltosandHerdone

Game Developer
Jan 5, 2019
No but it as save file from early July. At first the Quest for Cassandra didn't show at all and then just the image.
I'm not sure then. Looks like a corrupt image file. However, I've not been able to replicate the error with your save file. It works fine for me. You on PC, Windows or android?

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Why do you, who apparently doesn't pay a dime/pesos/cent or whatever to the developers, bother to accuse a really good developer for milking his patrons? While everybody of us who doesn't have to put any effort into developing the game may want it to proceed faster, I for one, am very happy with both the development speed and quality of this excellent game! So please refrain from these types of comments!
They often remind me of a scene in the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Mr. Wonka activates a musical keypad to open the door. Mike Teevee's mom smugly turns to the others to say "Rachmaninoff," to show off her musical expertise. Unfortunately, it's actually a piece by Mozart (from the Marriage of Figaro).

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

That's how I perceive these people who pop in to tell all of us that the developer we follow is milking us.
To expand on what c3p0 wrote: you didn't voice an opinion, you said "It is supposed to be funding for a project to get finished, not for them to live on said funding until retirement." That's not an "opinion" just like "the earth is flat" is not an opinion, but a factual statement. That can be checked - Patreon writes itself what it is supposed to be. And it is not what you claimed.
I stand corrected. This one reminds me most of Filius Canis from The DeLuca Family, who insists that he and he alone is the final arbiter of how things work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil5k
4.50 star(s) 251 Votes