DeePee

Jul 1, 2018
My specs are good enough to run nearly everything at least in 2k, most in 4k. ALL of my drivers AND the BIOS are the last available and the game is really slow. My lag is not around 5 seconds, but 2-3 seconds.

(Specs: Ryzen 9 3900X, Rad 6800XT, 128GB Ram, Gigabyte X570 Board, Game is on a 1TB SSD which is only used for games.)
128gb ram though, what the hell man? ^^

other than that, pretty much the same setup for me, though i've got a 5900X rather than a 3900X, and the game on a 3200MBps NVMe drive - game still glitches out, freezes and straight up crashes to desktop every other event

Reactions: ubblesnop

jeff100

Sep 11, 2020

other than that, pretty much the same setup for me, though i've got a 5900X rather than a 3900X, and the game on a 3200MBps NVMe drive - game still glitches out, freezes and straight up crashes to desktop every other event
No crashes on my end, but I do note a noticeable lag between choices / scenes. It's not software related, because I've downloaded the 12.0 version and there's no lag on there, so something must have changed... :(

Astriedax

May 15, 2017
Is there any current content available for each girl?
Some time since I played, lost save, so before restarting again, would want how much new is in.

cfer1271

Nov 11, 2018
Got a problem advancing Rachel's storyline during "The Headmaster's Pet Part 2". I can have her play football naked naked on Thursday every time, but nothing ever happens afterwards. The game simply continues to the normal evening stuff.
tst.png

Does anyone know what I'm missing?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the issue myself. The quest log is somewhat misleading. I just needed to punish her one more time.

Last edited:
Reactions: notBatman747

raven54

Sep 12, 2022
No crashes on my end, but I do note a noticeable lag between choices / scenes. It's not software related, because I've downloaded the 12.0 version and there's no lag on there, so something must have changed... :(
Ren'Py does lag when loading new images. To get around this, the engine reads upcoming lines to see if new graphics will be needed and if so it will load them in the background. That way the lag will take place while the reader is reading and then the image switch is lag free because the image is already in RAM by the time it is supposed to be displayed. This works fully automatic and usually works flawlessly, but it is possible to write a script, which stops the read ahead and hence cause lag if an image is needed right after the roadblock.

I toyed around with this at some point and sure enough when I set up a background image change right away after clicking a choice I had lag. If I had a line of text before the change, then the image would load while the line was displayed and no lag. Since Ren'Py didn't know which option the player would click, apparently it didn't preload from any of those options. You did mention choices so this issue is a very likely culprit.

Now the question is why it's a 0.13 problem and not a 0.12 problem. Could it be that the image archieve presents a longer lag the more images it contains. If that's the case then the explanation is all the new images makes loading each longer. Will that be fixable by splitting the image archieve into multiple files? Ren'Py has some performance/benchmark tools to test this, but I think they are only in the project system, not releases meaning only the devs would be able to test this. The devs would also know if they changed anything in the menu code.

I really hope this will get fixed because lag can be super annoying.

Apparently 128 GB is something some gamers believe they need. They don't. Games will not benefit from that amount of memory and that makes it a waste of memory for most people. I'm kind of inclined to say the same about the 3900X, but it's possible that the 16 CPU cores and lots of memory are intended for something other than gaming.

Either way the computer in question is way overkill for any Ren'Py game and it shouldn't lag.

AltosandHerdone

Game Developer
Jan 5, 2019
It crashes for me during animations. This is on an expensive, recent, gaming laptop, that has never had a single problem with much more complex Steam games. In its present build, The Headmaster is unplayable on my very good machine.
It's probably a driver issue. Seems to happen more with high end computers for some reason. Check this guide.

ImSenjou

Apr 15, 2019
Can anyone help me with this?
I've been stuck in these events with Priti for months, I even tried to restart the game from scratch, but it's a lot and it gets tiring with these lags.
I'm on the non-punishment path with Priti, is that the problem?

Edit:
About the lag, it's not just with images, I just changed my character's name, and it was super slow to write the name. I tested the render options but didn't feel any difference.
(Ryzen 5 1600AF, 24GB RAM, RTX2060 12GB, game on SSD)

Last edited:

DrNefarious57

Sep 15, 2021
I'm really surprised so many people are reporting problems, since I've had none at all!
I originally started with version 0.11.1Public-pc, then upgraded to 0.12.3-pc, and then
0.13.0Beta-pc.

My PC is old and weak (2 core Intel Pentium G2030 cpu, 8GB ram, 2TB disk, motherboard graphics).
I'm running the Linux version (on Ubuntu 20.04).

Here's what I do (in case it helps anyone out there).

When a new version comes out, the first thing I do is make a backup of my save data.
For example: TheHeadmaster-0.12.3-pc/game/saves/
Then I unzip the new version into a new directory, never on top of the previous release.
For example, TheHeadmaster-0.13.0Beta-pc
There will initially be no save directory. I copy my backup from the previous version into the new version,
for example: TheHeadmaster-0.13.0Beta-pc/game/saves/
Note that renpy on linux also saves data to ~/.renpy/, so you might want to back that up also.
I've always played the game as far as possible at each version, so when an update comes out, I can load
my old save and continue from where I left off.

I launch the game from the command line by running the TheHeadmaster.sh script.
I've also played the Halloween and Christmas add-on games.
I've never had a crash, never had a lock-up, and never had any lag.
If I ever got stuck in the game, the walkthrough/guide was all I ever needed to continue
(usually you just have to advance another part of the story in parallel)
RenPy is python-based, so should be portable across operating systems. It's also self-contained, so you shouldn't
have to install or configure anything.

Is it possible that some folks are unzipping new updates on top of older versions, and corrupting some of the data files?
If so, maybe try keeping each update in it's own folder, and just copy/paste the saves over.

Good luck!

Reactions: Gegecucu

ImSenjou

Apr 15, 2019
I extracted the RPA and loaded the game in Renpy 8.0.3 and forced the Render GL2, the improvement was immense, the game is super smooth, even the lag when changing name that I mentioned before is gone.
That's it, it worked for me.
I recommend everyone to test it, especially DEV.

PS: My save loaded without problems.

red_faced

Jul 23, 2020
Got a problem advancing Rachel's storyline during "The Headmaster's Pet Part 2". I can have her play football naked naked on Thursday every time, but nothing ever happens afterwards. The game simply continues to the normal evening stuff.
Making Rachel play football naked is its own reward.

Reactions: T_Abraxas
4.50 star(s) 251 Votes