Ru1n

Feb 8, 2021
Speaking of countable and uncountable nouns, I cringe a little inside when people say they want "less girlfriends," in a gme instead fewer. Maybe I'd cringe if they said fewer girlfriends too, I don't know.

The term "Francophone" reminded me that many of us in the US grew up with canned "Italian" food from a company named "Franco-American."
1683182163897.png

• Red Heart
Reactions: Dragon59 and luk100

Ru1n

Feb 8, 2021
There is no race (in the English meaning) in French. That's why French people often use the "racist" word in a different way compared to English speaking people.
Races are for pets or farm animals.
Now that sounds racist lmao :ROFLMAO:
Btw i speak a very different language as my first one, if you use and can have some kind of a conversation here and there you get used to the differences.
I'm also not denying that some contries have it harder to learn and get used to different languages, this racist shit on the other hand is used so often nowdays i thought people know the meaning by now.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
But funnily my experience in your (c3p0's) country is that with the language groups, the tables are turned. While the French and to a degree the Italians have this reputation of not caring for foreign languages, in Switzerland it seems to me that the French and Italian speaking communities are more comfortable in English than the German speakers.
I'm also much more comfortable with English than French. My French is, a least, a little rusry and I doubt it would be enough for even a small shopping trip. ;)
I have been told several times (and I agree with this theory) that it is due to the way foreign languages are taught at school in France: we focus much more on the grammar than on speaking. When speaking, the teachers will focus on each mistake you do, instead of praising the fact that you said something understandable (which is the basis of communication).
That approach, from my experience,is very typical. It was the same when I've learned my second and third language. I think it depends on what your goal is (becoming a interpreter or simple survive a holiday there). Yet, for typical school situation I wouldn't know how we should do it. Been corrected every second word, doesn't help, but speak "garbage" the whole time and then need to unlearn your train mistake isn't really better.
Best reason to learn a language is to have a good motivation and as a young teen, young or not young adult you often lack those.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Gegecucu

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
It makes sense in some way.
I have been told several times (and I agree with this theory) that it is due to the way foreign languages are taught at school in France: we focus much more on the grammar than on speaking. When speaking, the teachers will focus on each mistake you do, instead of praising the fact that you said something understandable (which is the basis of communication).
So the results are:
1) Learning foreign languages is boring for young students, so in the end they suck at grammar AND speaking
2) Much people (especially the oldest ones) are ashamed of trying to speak in foreign languages, because they fear to do it improperly.
Never mind that back in my day the start of learning languages was off. These days it is way earlier, but I started French at the same time when I became interested in the bulges at the front of my female classmates - and guess what deserved more attention? ;)

KanyeT

Mar 15, 2020
That's just a different concept of what is racism. There is no black race, white race, etc... in French. It's more about ethnicity/nationality. Race is a very very very very very very..... offensive word when used for people in French.
That's more so how Europe views differences in people. It's not about skin colour, it's about ethnicity/nationality.

Whereas in America, everything is viewed through skin colour and race.

Reactions: Gegecucu

CuteLilNori

Sep 10, 2022
Never have I got so many reactions for my post before. Thanks so much, everyone
Tbh I've been preparing for this since last March before the update release has been announced. So it might not make sense for the "Staff Training storyline" to be here at the last 2 pics since there'll be only the first half of it in the coming update, unfortunately! But still it's worth enough for me to post it here

4.50 star(s) 251 Votes