Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
I got an idea. I want to see if people think this is a good way of doing things or a bad way of doing things.

A lot of games out there are made in a way such as follows:

You play through a game. You come to a choice. You now have Path A and Path B.
Path A continues & So does Path B.
Path A branches yet again and now we have a 3rd path which we will call C.
Path B branches out too and we will call that branch D.

Paths = Width of the Game. More paths = more width.

With greater width, you will inevitably have a shorter length.

If I work on A B C and D over X time Path A gets less far than just Path A by itself. If I gave equal time to each Path it would get about 25% as far assuming there are only 4 paths.

Lets say a game is targeted for 10 chapters long. Does it not make more sense to make to make it like this:

A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6 A7 A8 A9 A10, B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6 B7 B8 B9 B10, C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 C7 C8 C9 C10, D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 D7 D8 D9 D10. All Paths completed one at a time one after the other... The game completely completed at 4 points. With different branching chains.

A lot of creators almost all I see make it like this...

A1 B1 C1 D1... A2 B2 C2 D2... A3 B3 C3 D3... ect ect ect... and so on building the branches and not the trunk...

So imagine a sort of static novel that you go back and create branches off at certain points to continue forward on eventually getting more choices.

Is that a better sort of production method you guys think?
personally i like this method more, as it gives the player an idea how the other routes might play out structure wise. also, having to wait for ya fav. route for little to almost no content just sucks. the only disadvantage ya face when doing one path at a time, is, that the game plays like a cinetic novel at first, 'til other routes are implemented.

Chrathrard

Nov 20, 2018
I got an idea. I want to see if people think this is a good way of doing things or a bad way of doing things...
That is to say that there will be no common events? As in four all-ins on specific characters/content? I can't readily recall any game which has done that; typically it's a this-or-that in the beginning, a little more of that-or-this in the middle, and branching towards endings. Even the You/Her/That One/Harem route games have a lot of shared scenes.

Badboll

Aug 29, 2017
I love fast updates just as much as anyone, but no one is really expecting updates this fast, you can wait a week or two and make them bigger, or just plan/refine stuff more
The last thing I want is a promising games dev to burn themselves out.
Keep up the good work though :)

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
Just getting a few out quicker as the file sizes are smaller, also needed to get some updates out pretty quick for some comments in the thread which I incorporated into the story of the game.

AnyName'llDo

Feb 12, 2018
I hope you're not relying on useful comments on here to propel the story for the self-aware path. That would take some serious alchemy skills. Regardless, I like what you've got started.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
That's nice. How about you post a snapshot of your avatar. Show us how it's done champ.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I could go in and actually create hair and shit, but considering that I don't even like SL, I'm not about that. Plus I procrastinated even doing this much. Oh I also found my old account, Smug Henry Smuggest.png

Last edited:

Doublefrost

Jun 29, 2017
I'm kinda laughing my ass off because of the Second Life fashion fight showdown in the comments here. Going to have to reinstall just so I can log in and tip some L$ for the game.

Reactions: yihman1

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
my comment was useful..it helps to avoid drugs..still gonna play this game..its..weird..and thats fine..but i want more puppygirl :p

Reactions: yihman1
3.50 star(s) 6 Votes