VN Ren'Py The Intoxicating Flavor [v0.11.4] [PixelsLab]

4.00 star(s) 155 Votes

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I just wonder why so many storytellers think that leaving readers and audience in the dark till the very end (and in the dark at all) is good and clever. IMHO, it's not clever and it's not good.
Why all those storytellers kept us in the dark, really! It would have been so better like that:

"Hey, Frodo, never ever trust Gollum, he'll systematically do whatever it need to betray you and get the ring back. By the way, there's a less direct, but way more discrete, way to enter Mordor, but be careful, there's a giant spider guarding it."
"Hello Mister Holmes, my wife was killed by Moriarty, you'll find him at that address."
"Luke, you aren't the son of farmers, you are the son of Dark Vador, an old Jedi that turned Sith, and you're a jedi yourself. You also have a sister, who's a Jedi too, named Leia Organa. I'm saying it just in case you meet her in the future."

Storytellers keep us in the dark because we are sapiens, and because they know that trying to read between the lines, forming our own theories, and seeing them confirmed, or being surprised when they are wrong, is way more rewarding, intellectually speaking, for us, than being mouth feed every single bit of information.
It's what stories are, what they are for, and why we are kept in the dark.

Every scene involving Alice's dad is simply embarassing, for instance.
Every scenes involving Alice's dad are the foundation of everyone personality in the family.
I also wonder to what extend the one we witness in this update isn't the reason why MC goes against all his habits and welcomed them, then helped them, when they landed on the island. As buried as his memory are, we know, by its use of the Gift among other things, that they still define him. I wouldn't be surprised that he instinctively, but unconsciously, recognized Alice as the girl sold by her father.

Those scenes are embarrassing because the said dad is a jerk that act like any jerk act, what is really embarrassing for anyone who isn't a jerk. But writing them off for that sole reason is ridiculous, because it would left unexplained the reason why Alice lost her mother's love, why her sister is so protective when it come to her, and why she trapped herself in a child body.
It's also through them that the situation can be reverted without it looking like an Deus Ex Machina-like move. The solution don't come from nowhere, it have a foundation, a reason, and a logic, that make it looks like something realistic and not just like a stupid plot twist.
It's those scenes that give its coherence to the story, those scenes that make this game better than around 90% of the adult games.

And... as I wrote above, and I really hope you'll agree with me on this, now that we have finally seen Grown Up Alice, we simply need to see her. :D:D
Can I disagree? Because I disagree.

I can't see any reason in seeing little Alice again in the future, plotwise, [...]
Grown Up Alice have a nice body, it's true, but it absolutely don't fit with her current personality. As smart as she is, she's still a child that have a lot to learn, and have to find her place in the world/story. But it's not the only reason why it make sense for her to have reverted back to her child body.

She finally found back her mother's love, that love that disappeared because of what she did. She's not ready yet to face the fact that she made such terrible decision. Having this memory in mind, knowing what it implied for her mother and sister, it's just impossible for her to feel like an adult. And she's smart, so she probably also wonder what other stupid childish decision she made, but forgot everything about.

Talking about that pure and innocent love that only a mother can have for her child, it's precisely something that only a child can experience. An adult Alice would be loved by her mother, but not in the same way, not with the same innocence and purity. Staying child Alice permit for this love to exist, and it's something that both deserve, because both Alice and her mother were deprived of it for too long, and both deeply suffered because of this.
It's healing time for them, and for this she need to be child Alice.

It's also by being a child, that Alice continue to give a meaning to her sister's life. Because she only live for this: being the big protective sister.
It would be a terrible betrayal coming from Alice, to appear in such way that suddenly, after ~10years only dedicated to this, her sister would lost all goals in life. She have to help her grow out of her guilt, then find her own way in life, before she can do this.

Pif paf

Engaged Member
Feb 5, 2018
Why all those storytellers kept us in the dark, really! It would have been so better like that:

"Hey, Frodo, never ever trust Gollum, he'll systematically do whatever it need to betray you and get the ring back. By the way, there's a less direct, but way more discrete, way to enter Mordor, but be careful, there's a giant spider guarding it."
"Hello Mister Holmes, my wife was killed by Moriarty, you'll find him at that address."
"Luke, you aren't the son of farmers, you are the son of Dark Vador, an old Jedi that turned Sith, and you're a jedi yourself. You also have a sister, who's a Jedi too, named Leia Organa. I'm saying it just in case you meet her in the future."

Storytellers keep us in the dark because we are sapiens, and because they know that trying to read between the lines, forming our own theories, and seeing them confirmed, or being surprised when they are wrong, is way more rewarding, intellectually speaking, for us, than being mouth feed every single bit of information.

Every scenes involving Alice's dad are the foundation of everyone personality in the family.
I also wonder to what extend the one we witness in this update isn't the reason why MC goes against all his habits and welcomed them, then helped them, when they landed on the island. As buried as his memory are, we know, by its use of the Gift among other things, that they still define him. I wouldn't be surprised that he instinctively, but unconsciously, recognized Alice as the girl sold by her father.

Those scenes are embarrassing because the said dad is a jerk that act like any jerk act, what is really embarrassing for anyone who isn't a jerk. But writing them off for that sole reason is ridiculous, because it would left unexplained the reason why Alice lost her mother's love, why her sister is so protective when it come to her, and why she trapped herself in a child body.
It's also through them that the situation can be reverted without it looking like an Deus Ex Machina-like move. The solution don't come from nowhere, it have a foundation, a reason, and a logic, that make it looks like something realistic and not just like a stupid plot twist.
It's those scenes that give its coherence to the story, those scenes that make this game better than around 90% of the adult games.

Can I disagree? Because I disagree.

Grown Up Alice have a nice body, it's true, but it absolutely don't fit with her current personality. As smart as she is, she's still a child that have a lot to learn, and have to find her place in the world/story. But it's not the only reason why it make sense for her to have reverted back to her child body.

She finally found back her mother's love, that love that disappeared because of what she did. She's not ready yet to face the fact that she made such terrible decision. Having this memory in mind, knowing what it implied for her mother and sister, it's just impossible for her to feel like an adult. And she's smart, so she probably also wonder what other stupid childish decision she made, but forgot everything about.

Talking about that pure and innocent love that only a mother can have for her child, it's precisely something that only a child can experience. An adult Alice would be loved by her mother, but not in the same way, not with the same innocence and purity. Staying child Alice permit for this love to exist, and it's something that both deserve, because both Alice and her mother were deprived of it for too long, and both deeply suffered because of this.
It's healing time for them, and for this she need to be child Alice.

It's also by being a child, that Alice continue to give a meaning to her sister's life. Because she only live for this: being the big protective sister.
It would be a terrible betrayal coming from Alice, to appear in such way that suddenly, after ~10years only dedicated to this, her sister would lost all goals in life. She have to help her grow out of her guilt, then find her own way in life, before she can do this.
Awesome! That new and improved version of the Hobbit journey is soooooo much better than the original Tolkien's!

Ermi33

Aug 11, 2020
I had to heavily rewrite the scene with Alice's father. Initially, it was twice as long. But it seemed too boring, so I shortened it. In doing so, I had to simplify many aspects. For instance, it's now unclear why Eric was scared of the young MC. In the original scene, this was obvious.
Why don’t make the opportunity to select, which version the player want to see:
1. the long boring, but clearer or
2. the short version.
I ´ve seen it in another game and if it‘s always written? So, there isn‘t any waste.
But I don‘t know anything about developing, so I don‘t know, if it‘s to complicated or to much work.

Skep-tiker

Oct 11, 2023
Why don’t make the opportunity to select, which version the player want to see:
1. the long boring, but clearer or
2. the short version.
I ´ve seen it in another game and if it‘s always written? So, there isn‘t any waste.
But I don‘t know anything about developing, so I don‘t know, if it‘s to complicated or to much work.
It would be around 10 lines of code to generate the menu and set the labels//jumps. Plus the lines of text for the short versions. Renders could be selected and reused from the long version.

If its preferrable is another question.

GeoffG

Mar 4, 2024
Wait why won't steam allow the game?

I honestly don't get it. Movies have all sorts of shit in them and that's fine, but games can only be vanilla?

yossa999

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2020
Wait why won't steam allow the game?

I honestly don't get it. Movies have all sorts of shit in them and that's fine, but games can only be vanilla?
They will reject any adult game that they believe contains underage characters. And they don't give a second chance.

GeoffG

Mar 4, 2024
They will reject any adult game that they believe contains underage characters. And they don't give a second chance.
Ah right yeah that makes sense I guess. I'd completely forgotten that she looks... unconventional

Sorry dev :( That sucks.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
moaming sound stoped with Music sound slider, that's new
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Yes, sound management is a bit messy as in many other Ren'Py games started as a developers first project. Getting it right requires more reading of the Ren'Py documentation and config files.

You can disable most moaning sounds after applying . It is still unable to disable audio tracks of the videos. A few first animations have them, the later ones don't.

SonsOfLiberty

Post Pro
Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
About Steam
I forgot to share the Steam news in my last post. About a month ago, I contacted Steam support with a question: can I release TIF with all the 18+ content removed, leaving only the story? Steam declined, even for that version. So, I’ve lost any hope of making any financial gain from the game. Now, my only goal is to finish the story properly.
Have you tried GOG? There are a lot of adult games there. Also, what about Itch.io?

You should really, really, really check , it costs nothing to have your game there for sale.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I just realized they might aswell know each other, as they have both memories erased, which might be why they connected so fast.
Reading you, I suddenly wonder it too. Because they started to act against their personality right from the start, therefore before Inanna involved herself. As I said, for MC it's by breaking his lone wolf habit and helping them. And for Alice, it's by not being afraid despite his terrible color that sometimes point out.

I don't remember if it's said or not, when Alice talk about MC's colors, but when she first saw him, he was chasing the skipper, so I don't have doubt that his aura was more on the "monster" side than anything else at that time. Then he started to talk with them, being pissed off by the skipper escaping, her mother lying when she said that he would be alone, and the fact that precisely he wasn't alone anymore. Once again surely not an engaging color seen by Alice.
Yet she kept the distance expected from a girl that past most of her teen years isolated, not like someone who's facing what, from his aura, would probably looks like a serial killer; he have blood on his hands, and Alice said that she know it because of his color.
So, yeah, it's like something, deep inside her, was telling her to not be afraid, that despite the appearance he will be nice with them.

This being said, let's open some gates to feed players' thoughts:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[Sorry for the double post]

Have you tried GOG? There are a lot of adult games there. Also, what about Itch.io?

You should really, really, really check , it costs nothing to have your game there for sale.
Another thing that you can do, PixelsLab , perhaps not now because I want to know the rest of the story, but as an option for the future, is to turn this into a book. There's many self publishing platforms, and without the lewd content I'm sure that you wouldn't have too much difficulties to have it accepted.
It need more works, because you've to describe everything since there's no images, but I'm really convinced that you have the talent needed for this.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021

My favourite crime tv series is Columbo. Have you ever heard about it?

Enough said.

Reactions: Nezron

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
My favourite crime tv series is Columbo. Have you ever heard about it?
I grew watching the series each time a new episode was aired in my country, having seen, except for the few firsts featuring Peter Falk, all them on their first airing.
A really good mind exercise, and a must have seen for any writer. But clearly not for the reason you believe.

For those who don't know the series, it's a thriller that show us the crime right from the starts, whitout hiding anything. What mean that we know who's the culprit and how he did it.
Usually in thrillers, we know about the evidences discovered, and as spectator the game is to guess to whom they lead. But in Columbo, what is not said, what we have to guess, is what evidences did our dear Lieutenant have found.
Yeah, I know, disappointing, even in Columbo spectators are kept in the dark...

And if it's a must have seen for writers, it's because they are in the same position than Columbo's spectators; they know what the story is and what will happen next. Watching the series will teach them how to spread details, significant or not, through the story in order to, indirectly, lead the reader in the right direction.

Enough said.
Yeah, it's probably better, you've dug deep enough.

BigTTiger

May 27, 2021
Okay on the whole theory of whether or not Eve is trying to kill Inanna or not wouldn't Eve herself as well as her right-hand man die as a result of Inanna dying since it was Inanna that gave Eve immortality then Eve extended that same eternal gift to her now concubine, I guess that's what he'd be to her or w/e

4.00 star(s) 155 Votes