Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
But if Simon gave her a reason to keep going with an immortal Nalili, I think that would certainly help in giving her a reason to go on :)
I don't think there is going to be a way to "save" Esthera.

It's not just Nalili, she's tired of everything. She's just had enough. She's watched more than one child die and had to fight near constantly to keep her people going and the other IK's away.

Giving immortality to Nalili would let her know her daughter is going to be okay and have a good, long life with Simon but it's not the only thing Esthera has her mind on.

I think one way or another she's going to die.

I have my theory's on how she's going to go but she's one character I don't think will see the end of the game.

Reactions: vneotpolemus

manscout

Jun 13, 2018
I stand by my statement that the game's mechanically primitive. Most of the scripts it uses are minor QoL stuff like displayable enemy HP bars, autosave, additional currency, scene viewer etc. All of it is copy-pasted freeware script work. The most noticeable scripts are the simple display tables, like the harem menu or the investments returns screen.
There's hardly anything in TLS that pushes VX Ace above and beyond its basic capabilities. If you think otherwise, then you've clearly never opened a project in VX Ace.
Gonna butt into the conversation just to say that the original context was responding to a person asking for this game to be made on goddamn Ren'Py, TLS might only skillfully use the standard features of RPGM, but trying to translate even half of those features to Ren'Py would already be a nightmare since that's a visual novel engine, TLS does not play like a visual novel.

Some people have developed this hardcore "fuck RPGM" mentality and keep insisting that every RPGM game would be better if done in something like Ren'Py because it would have less "time wasting bullshit". Honestly, I see where people like that are coming from, there are some pretty bad RPGM games out there where the only gameplay is either token, uninspired, and lazy combat; or travel back and forth in this pointlessly large map to talk with an NPC to progress their quest. Those type of games put 0 thought in their gameplay and removing such gameplay by remaking the game on Ren'Py is a net-plus just by removing the waste of time. But that's on the devs being bad game designers, not the engine. Arguing TLS is the same and would be better without the RPGM mechanics would be pretty whack.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I stand by my statement that the game's mechanically primitive. Most of the scripts it uses are minor QoL stuff like displayable enemy HP bars, autosave, additional currency, scene viewer etc. All of it is copy-pasted freeware script work. The most noticeable scripts are the simple display tables, like the harem menu or the investments returns screen.
There's hardly anything in TLS that pushes VX Ace above and beyond its basic capabilities. If you think otherwise, then you've clearly never opened a project in VX Ace.
None of those are gameplay mechanics, that's UI.

I was talking about all the war stuff, summits, investments ets.

There is quite a lot of depth to that gameplay wise but you come back with UI elements.....

I have no words.

Reactions: Snugglepuff

Fulminato

Oct 17, 2017
i'm not interest in bickering, but limited number of use skills, the synergy skills or even the TP system aren't exactly "minor QoL stuff". probably not the best a rpgmaker game mechanical show one can find, but far from the bottom.
and the rpgm script language (ruby, up the vxace, m use another) describe as "awful" is the nicest thing one can say about it, i'm alwasy astonished by someone can actualy made something works with that language.

0nymous

Nov 16, 2016
None of those are gameplay mechanics, that's UI.

I was talking about all the war stuff, summits, investments ets.
Thank you for confirming my original statement I suppose. The gameplay, that is the "war stuffs, summits, investments ets." is literally just using switches and variables, which are the very basics of VX Ace. Like I said, that they are used skillfully doesn't change the fact that it's utilizing the very core of the engine's features. Thus my phrase "primitive gameplay".

i'm not interest in bickering, but limited number of use skills, the synergy skills or even the TP system aren't exactly "minor QoL stuff".
They are when you consider what other creators can push out of the simplistic features of the RPG Maker engines. It's just a matter of a broader perspective. You can tweak and twist A LOT of the engine to make it nigh unrecognizable. For example, did you know that LISA: The Painful RPG was also made in VX Ace?
Also, none of these scripts were made by Sierra, which kind of makes this argument beyond the point anyways. Not that I wish to imply Sierra should in the first place have extensive coding knowledge and make EPIC COMBAT AND STRATEGY REAL-TIME BASED MECHANICS.

The game is strong enough as it is despite its flaws, but I clearly struck a nerve with some people pointing them out. I thought it's painfully obvious that the stock RPGM assets and the grindy, turn-based, boring RPGM combat are the first major turn-offs for a lot of people interested in playing the game.

RPGM's infamy is due to its simplicity. It's really easy to make "a" game in it, and it requires virtually zero coding knowledge. It's intuitive and has a lot of immediately available stock assets, so you don't need to worry about graphical and audio materials as well. It's even in the game's marketing strategy: "Easy to learn, hard to master." It's also pathetically easy to pirate. This results in a lot of low-quality extremely samey titles, with the same graphics, the same Town_Theme1.ogg music, the same bullshit boring Attack-Skill-Item-Escape turn-based atrocious JRPG combat with the same boring skills and animations.
HOWEVER, you CAN make a very ambitious and original title by utilizing the engine. It naturally takes effort, and, of course, a lot of talent in various departments, like art and coding for scripting. None of these are the strength of TLS, and I don't think that's debatable. Which doesn't make it a bad game.

That being said, I will take an RPGM game over a Ren'Py "game" any day. I'd rather have primitive gameplay than having no gameplay. Visual novels are not games.

falafelswoop

Oct 4, 2019
Look at you with your "clearly" statements. You've clearly never opened this project in VX Ace, or you'd know that it's straightforwardly false to say that "All of it is copy-pasted freeware script work." There's a significant amount of custom code in it, in and out of combat. Heck, there's new custom code in this update.

Reactions: Snugglepuff

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I'm planning on getting back to this once completed, but holy shit are they starting to add CGs?

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Thank you for confirming my original statement I suppose. The gameplay, that is the "war stuffs, summits, investments ets." is literally just using switches and variables, which are the very basics of VX Ace. Like I said, that they are used skillfully doesn't change the fact that it's utilizing the very core of the engine's features. Thus my phrase "primitive gameplay".
So she used the engines features to create gameplay mechanics ... features that don't exist in a VN engine which was the original point before you attempted to sound smart.

Making use of an engines features to create gameplay elements is what all devs do from amateur RPGM devs to AAA.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, you "added" to this discussion was in any relation to the renpy comment I was quoting. All you succeeded in doing is making yourself look pretentious while missing the point ... twice.

Roxorxl

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2017
What "mind control" is in the game? the mc can control others, the mc gets controlled, mc behavior/mindset gets changed ?

congamensch

Feb 19, 2018
It's also a little OOC for the main character to be mind-controlling people, and as someone who IS into mental domination, I just can't bring myself to do it in this game.

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
It's also a little OOC for the main character to be mind-controlling people, and as someone who IS into mental domination, I just can't bring myself to do it in this game.
To be fair, there's context to the times where it happens that if you choose a certain way, is perfectly in character for Simon.
Choosing differently can be argued as corruption from the shard.

Goi

Nov 18, 2017
For the whole Nalili being born pretty sure Esthera even says that she had Nalili as an attempt to reconnect to something or close to that need to replay simons route for the exact words.

Also thanks to the seniority of the IK we know that Esthera was a king, and know before the Arsehole of Arclent became know since he was 4th to her 3rd, and he started the whole war on Arclent when simon was 15 he is 55 now so 40 years ago.
Nalili is 18 so was born 22 years after number 4 IK became know

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017
Pretty sure she had those before taking the shard.
No, one of the reason she want to die is because she is tired of living. Because she lived so long that she saw several daughters die of old age (and all disappointing her in some way or another) and Nalili was a last attempt to see if things will change and she find her will to live again.

Besides, Nalili was born at least 20 years after Incubus King/Emperor/Duke/whatever invaded Arclent...

4.50 star(s) 181 Votes