VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Manifest: Shadows Over Manston [v2.2] [White Phantom Games]

4.20 star(s) 37 Votes

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
ahhh... this is unfortunate. This was one of my favorites on this site. Pretty surprising that the plot wasn't planned out at all haha. I can see how that kind of approach might get convoluted and out and hand real quick.

My biggest concern is that the new game looks like it will be very vanilla.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
What a shame... this was a very intelligent game...I would have loved to see the final product.
ahhh... this is unfortunate. This was one of my favorites on this site. Pretty surprising that the plot wasn't planned out at all haha. I can see how that kind of approach might get convoluted and out and hand real quick.

My biggest concern is that the new game looks like it will be very vanilla.
I hope Defending Lydia Collier does well, because I would love to have White Phantom return to Shadows over Manston later. Maybe if that game does well enough WP can afford more people to help with work on Shadows so the various storylines can be managed and developed fully. I'm not holding my breath, but it's a nice dream.

Reactions: snakeplisskin

M4t7theNinja

Sep 20, 2017
Its a real shame this is going to be tossed on the abandoned pile, its fantastically written and White Phantom should be proud. Hope it see's the light of day again.

SolarGuy

Jul 24, 2018
Well I've not had the chance to check out his new game yet but hopefully the scope is something he can deal with and that he is happy with
I was trying to wait for more content, but I just downloaded it...
We'll see if it was worth it gameplay wise.

Could have been waiting a long time for an update, lol.

Reactions: M4t7theNinja

SolarGuy

Jul 24, 2018
Well I've not had the chance to check out his new game yet but hopefully the scope is something he can deal with and that he is happy with
I've just played it and I'll tell you this, okay to me graphically it's nothing close to SOM, but I think that it's actually a good thing for the future.

He kept to his schedule for the 0.2 update, so I expect that this will keep going.

Defending Lydia is way more realistic and I had fun playing it so far. Okay I'll be honest it's not the BEST game yet, but the story is engaging and I already know what I wanna go for.

It has some flaws, not big ones but let's try to not look at them for now, I wouldn't judge yet.

I'll give him the chance to surprise me.

SolarGuy

Jul 24, 2018
I was trying to wait for more content, but I just downloaded it...
We'll see if it was worth it gameplay wise.

Could have been waiting a long time for an update, lol.
I wont promote it, but I have an exemple from a game that I enjoyed, just liked it nothing more, even if so much stuff was annoying and bugging me.

With each update it kept getting better though, and what I thought were "flaws" became part of the charm.

Had to give it a good 6 months, so he has all my support.

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
On hold again?
I don't think this one will see the light of day again.

I enjoyed it a lot, but even I could see as a player, the game was getting very complicated with 101 paths to complete.
The model of Patreon where supporters want to progress on their path with every update does not lean itself to the type of game the dev had in mind.

Fans of Eye of the Storm went mad when the dev said Fuckit and only continued on one path.

All the best for the dev going forward, I will check out his new game in a couple of months time.
This game was too ambitious for one dev on the Patreon model..A real pity as I enjoyed it immensely.

Reactions: Engelstein

HueyFreeman32

Jun 3, 2018
I'm trying to like phantom new game but imma be real..... It ain't grabbing me at all like Shadows did. When we getting this heat back? Cuz idk if I feel like defending Lydia my damn self lmao

Reactions: Agrik

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hones

Doesn't the girl from the diner have darker colored haired? To me I think it's that blonde trainee from the police station that you tag team with the 2 turds the black dude and the hairy ape if you choose to if you go out partying with them.

Last edited:

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I'm trying to like phantom new game but imma be real..... It ain't grabbing me at all like Shadows did. When we getting this heat back? Cuz idk if I feel like defending Lydia my damn self lmao
I'm pretty sure that won't happen at least until Defending Lydia Collier is finished. White Phantom's main reason for putting this on hold is that it was too overwhelming to do solo; there were way too many branching paths, a problem he created himself. At least DLC is much more focused, allowing him to make steady progress. I would guess the hope for WP is that he'll eventually be able to hire help to manage Shadows over Manston, so it can continue. But that's not going to happen until he gets more backers on Patreon, and he has an initial goal before potentially hiring someone else.

WhitePhantom — Patreon Goal.png

4.20 star(s) 37 Votes