VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Manifest: Shadows Over Manston [v2.2] [White Phantom Games]

4.20 star(s) 37 Votes

K18

Apr 19, 2018
I also like SOM better than the new game. Personally, i'd wish dev restart SOM and restructure the visual novel as one long linear story, removing the branching. Where you'd see everything, every character's story plays out alongside with the main story, like a movie. Maybe make it optional to interact with certain characters.

The story seemed to have a lot of events happening in the world (in the criminal world & school life) that'd eventually pull the MC into the mix of things, adding more into his personal life drama. Lot of interesting characters. Also one of the few games here where pregnancy plays an early factor into the story, MC's sister-in-law pregnant with his child before the story started, Mercedes becoming pregnant at any given point you decide to have sex with her, and possibly MC's wife too. I was curious about how would that play out for the MC, assuming it went his way.

gusxxx

Nov 28, 2017
I was here since the very beginning, before the name change, even before this very thread. White Phantom created a thread himself and people started discussing there before this "official" thread was created.

First bit of advice dev got: be careful, don't bite more than you can chew, your first game and so on..... This was for release one and two, before there were so many characters, aliens, monsters, whatever that thing is, second language.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I do worry too I'm being over ambitious, but I've also found this quite satisfying making so far, and I'm sure I'm putting in nearly as many hours as my actual job on it ^^
I honestly am not caught up with the discussions, just learned the game is on hold/abandoned. So don't know how we got here.

Thats is why I kind gave up on the grate grate majority of adult games. It always the same thing, project scope grows, complexity grows, income doesn't grow, dev gets tired and frustrated and abandoned project, starts new game, repeat cycle.

If even ME as a game pirate who never payed for adult games, can't be bothered to follow a game that I get for free anymore imagine keep paying for it. Thats why most games don't succeed in my opinion.

Anyway that was just a rant about most games, why we don't pay, or stop paying, devs don't get the financial return expected and we all end up in this situation.

This game could be good, hope the dev is successful with the new game, but I won't even try it.

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
I hope they didn't rewrite anything with Penelope or Hannah they can chop up anything else and change it but hopefully those two were left alone.

Reactions: HoboCop86

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
It needed a re-write the story was becoming a bit incoherent and at least we get to see the girls from the game make a come back it felt a lot harder to cheat on the wife after she had her re-work done..

Reactions: GypsyBastard

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
I never cared for the wife even after the re-work so it was easy to go for other girls like Penelope and Hannah.

Sonico

Forum Fanatic
Jul 21, 2018
Might take a look at some of the older versions just to have a little fun with some "obsolete" storylines.

GypsyBastard

Aug 9, 2018
Just finished the latest update and there is something that really bugs me. (Spoiler warning)

When you arrive at the party to take Penelope home, you come across a "mysterious woman" after following said woman she introduces herself as Dusk and ask you to take a pill and drug Hanna. Now if I'm not mistaken the MC should already know the name Dusk as (I think) it's mentioned by McKenna and there is a file named Dusk in the Police files she send you.

Knowing all this shouldn't the MC be able to make the connection? Also why isn't there an option to just pocket the pill she gives you and not drug Hanna, or after refusing, at the very least inform Hanna that there was someone at the party who gave a BS story and asked him to drug her. Probably should tell her to keep a look on her drink or maybe even offer her a ride home.

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
playing the old version most likely will not serve you well going forward with the retool..other than knowing the characters..it seems from what he is saying it will be a really drastic retool..alot of the fucked up shit will be long gone and it will be a tighter more streamlined and legible story...if you play his new game Defending Lydia Collier you can plainly see how he has drastically improved ..i expect the manston retool will follow that much better template.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Sonico

Forum Fanatic
Jul 21, 2018
playing the old version most likely will not serve you well going forward with the retool..other than knowing the characters..it seems from what he is saying it will be a really drastic retool..alot of the fucked up shit will be long gone and it will be a tighter more streamlined and legible story...if you play his new game Defending Lydia Collier you can plainly see how he has drastically improved ..i expect the manston retool will follow that much better template.
yes, i'm aware the story will certainly end up being quite different with the retool and probably for the better, but checking the old ones lets me see some scenes that might or not make a comeback in the new one depending on how things end up being arranged.

Engelstein

Feb 17, 2018
Disappointed that the game is on hold but I can definitely see how it was getting overwhelming. I wouldn't mind if he went back and made it more linear, I was curious to see the story played out regardless of whether the MC got to fuck so and so.

Reactions: B-52reloaded
4.20 star(s) 37 Votes