QBaSS

Mar 18, 2019
It made me think about the intro music of Nosferatu(W.Herzog)
Word of advice: creepy mummies:

Amazing movie btw

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Many of you have probably heard it, but not that slowed down...

gingisep

Aug 6, 2020
It made me think about the intro music of Nosferatu(W.Herzog)
Word of advice: creepy mummies:

Amazing movie btw
Funny, I was thinking of the Nosferatu movie from 1922 ... but it didn't match up, not even after a speed-up.
Without altering too much the tempo, it has resemblance over a passage of The Shining movie too.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Funny, I was thinking of the Nosferatu movie from 1922 ... but it didn't match up, not even after a speed-up.
Without altering too much the tempo, it has resemblance over a passage of The Shining movie too.
My track (as it sounds in the game) has some similarities to the intro of The Shining, which was what I considered using before discovering the one I used. What I ended up with is not taken from the horror genre, although a certain person might disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: gingisep

QBaSS

Mar 18, 2019
Well I have to say I'm fucking tone deaf
:cry:
If you like vampires and maybe read the Stoker romance this movie is the shit though for real
Klaus Kinski arguably best performance and Isabelle Adjani in her prime(OMG)
:)

QBaSS

Mar 18, 2019
The original piece has nothing to do with horror, well..

My track has some similarities to the intro of Shining, which was what I considered using before discovering the one I used. What I ended up with is not taken from the horror genre, although a certain person might disagree.
Sry...
I love horror movies
Amazing game
Best of luck
Loved Paradise too

Reactions: Alcahest

Kikinaak

Apr 26, 2020
For those asking for the code, download the game. Open it with your text editor of choice, ctrl+F, "checkcode".
Uncomment the alert line. Note the target hash of 3511770.
Play the high low game until you get a hit. Am I one of the cool kids now?

Dev: dont leave a gaping security hole merely commented out in the public release of plaintext code, consider renaming your "checkcode" function to something less easily searched, and use something stronger than a 4 letter english word for the password.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
For those asking for the code, download the game. Open it with your text editor of choice, ctrl+F, "checkcode".
Uncomment the alert line. Note the target hash of 3511770.
Play the high low game until you get a hit. Am I one of the cool kids now?

Dev: dont leave a gaping security hole merely commented out in the public release of plaintext code, consider renaming your "checkcode" function to something less easily searched, and use something stronger than a 4 letter english word for the password.
The entire code being in plaintext and easily changed is a much bigger security hole than a commented line. Obfuscating the cheat code more can be done for fun but won't stop people as it can be easily bypassed. The cheat code is like a reminder and a small carrot to people to support the development if they like the game. It's not meant to be uncrackable.

Kikinaak

Apr 26, 2020
My post was aimed more at the ones trolling and mocking the people asking for the code, a strange move given the nature of this forum. To keep with the theme of the game the rest was more a "teach a man to fish" kind of thing rather than just come right out and say the word that will no doubt change with the next update. Maybe a different birthstone?
Edit: I am enjoying the game itself, BTW, great content here!

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Okay, so when trying, I found it hard to speed up the title music to sound like the original except when using Media Player Classic (which is the media player I normally use), so I'm attaching the title track with its original speed. Many of you should recognize it.

Reactions: luvsabunch86

gingisep

Aug 6, 2020
The entire code being in plaintext and easily changed is a much bigger security hole than a commented line. Obfuscating the cheat code more can be done for fun but won't stop people as it can be easily bypassed. The cheat code is like a reminder and a small carrot to people to support the development if they like the game. It's not meant to be uncrackable.
I agree : I don't think it does apply well on gaming industry.
Even with all the fuzz about NFT & metaverse around: they're just failing to see it just add complexity and costs.
We can protect content with symmetrical encryption keys, even generate one unique for every downloaded game ...but its not worthy.
You can still steal the unsecured content that get leaked, and substitute the 'unique' encrypted file with another one you know the secret of.
The cost of hacking it is a fraction on the whole cost of securing it.

Reactions: Alcahest

Kikinaak

Apr 26, 2020
I agree : I don't think it does apply well on gaming industry.
Even with all the fuzz about NFT & metaverse around: they're just failing to see it just add complexity and costs.
We can protect content with symmetrical encryption keys, even generate one unique for every downloaded game ...but its not worthy.
You can still steal the unsecured content that get leaked, and substitute the 'unique' encrypted file with another one you know the secret of.
The cost of hacking it is a fraction on the whole cost of securing it.
Fair, but as an example, if I was going to write a game in a cleartext language that I didnt want people snooping through, I would remove all author comments and documentation, and change function and variable names to generic nondescriptive things, at least for the public release. "Function23", that I internally know the purpose of, is of a lot less help to a would be cracker than "CodeVerification". n_47 is a lot less descriptive than var_codeHash, especially when n_40-n_50 are similar length numbers. This can be done with a simple text replacement script, and raises the cost in time and skill to trace through the actual code to the point where most would find it easier to buy the code. I personally wouldnt have been able to crack this code without such clues and the commented debug function left in by the dev.

4.50 star(s) 54 Votes