VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
It is interesting that you count things what makes me hate them and then you ended it with I don't hate them. I am amused to see, how subjective opinions can be.
People are different and see things differently. Unless someone is being an asshole, I am fine for others to have different opinions and agree to disagree.

Regarding the Templars, they are delusional. In real life, cultists will either throw their lives away for 'the cause' or will wake up one day and go through a very difficult and painful process as they realise how wrong they were leading to decades of emotional pain and suffering. Its sad how many good people are born in to cults or manipulated in to them. Its tragic. I hate cult leadership and recruiters, I just feel sorry for the followers, especially those born in to cults and know no better. Its not fair and its not their fault they were born in to it.

On my first playthrough I fought Linnae every choice I could. I didn't want my MC to have anything to do with the leadership or cooperate with them. I was happy to chat with the barman, he seems like a good guy, just deluded like the rest. I don't hate the Templars as a group, but I do hate the people giving the orders like the MCs parents and the council.

This is how she phrased her demand. I don't think it changes based on our actions, but I haven't looked at the code so I could be wrong.
View attachment 3318941
Are that's where I went wrong. I read that as they were in control of all the connections. It's my poor old brain, you got to make allowances for the old guys :LOL:

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
Oh .. come on! These are not 13th century monks or nuns .. certainly not recluse anarchists who run around spilling the Nevervhere tech to fill their pockets. They are gate keepers who keep the gates to neverwhere tech so tightly shut that shut not even their kids can go through .. .such devotion of their whole lives to be totally devoid of vilainy and power hunger is to be appreciated.
Regarding the Templars, they are delusional. In real life, cultists will either throw their lives away for 'the cause' or will wake up one day and go through a very difficult and painful process as they realise how wrong they were leading to decades of emotional pain and suffering.

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
Grumpy Old Aussie ; It picked my attention, that you seem to think, that the Templars were a cult, (I'm talking now about historical facts)
For real they were an order, evolved from the Fransicanian Order inside the Catolic Church, they were highly trained,elite fighters, but still Monks and lived submited to the Vows of the Fransicanian Brotherhood, and as such they only responded to the Pope.

Reactions: Maviarab

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
Grumpy Old Aussie ; It picked my attention, that you seem to think, that the Templars were a cult, (I'm talking now about historical facts)
For real they were an order, evolved from the Fransicanian Order inside the Catolic Church, they were highly trained,elite fighters, but still Monks and lived submited to the Vows of the Fransicanian Brotherhood, and as such they only responded to the Pope.
A slight misunderstanding easily cleared up. I actually admire the Templar Order of old. Their battle tactics were fascinating, and their business acumen second to none. They had strong religious convictions as did all the European Knightly Orders, that was common for the time. I think very highly of the original Templars and I don't see them as a cult at all.

However, I do agree with Defenestrator.for.traitor that the order in the game has become nothing more than a cult from what I have seen of them so far. Hundreds of years in the shadows does that.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
View attachment 3318995

Hey everyone,

this Dev Log will be shorter than the last ones since this week has been pretty normal.
No stories of me getting ill, hard disks dying, and so on. Sorry, not sorry. ;-)

Although the week was pretty busy with work (end/start of the month usually is) and a bit of family stuff, the progress on the game was still decent.
On the render side, I got 84 static renders and 1 more animation done.
Script-wise, I'm sitting at 1300 lines which means 199 new lines this week... damn, let me add a useless comment line somewhere real quick...

The total numbers are:
405 static renders
3 animations
1300 lines in the script file

We're getting closer to the main part of Chapter 5.
Next week I'm going to work on the 2... animation-heavy scenes that are left before we get to the main part.
And the Steam Next Fest starts on Monday. The demo has already been tested and released. I hope there won't be any errors with that version so I can focus on the Chapter 5 development.

That's it for today, have a nice weekend.

Cheers,
Ceolag

View attachment 3318996
Hooray for normal weeks! As Ceolag said, he completed 84 static renders, 1 animation and 199 lines this week. That brings his overall average to ~91 statics, 0.7 animations, and 290 lines per week since work on Chapter 5 officially began. Here are the charts:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Relative to Chapter 4's development, it looks like we're ahead on statics and lines, but behind on animations. That's probably just a side effect of the type of art required by the scripts so I wouldn't read much into it unless the trend persists. Other than that, not much to say, progress has been pretty steady when computer hardware isn't exploding. That's always nice to see.

Very interesting previews. It's cool to see see Kate again, but again it's a surprising fit given the chapter title. I'm really curious to see how all of this will come together.

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes