VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
I usually avoid answering these kinds of posts because it's just provocation.
But this one contains so much wrong information I just have to.

Or even better: Come up with some useful feedback. There is a point or two in all the text above that could be feedback.
They just get drowned in wrong claims and assumptions.
You really should have just ignored him - your experience here will improve dramatically. ;) He's a perennial troll that I've seen act like this elsewhere and have had on ignore for a very long time because of it. He won't heed your words or be swayed by reason in any way.

Last edited:

Mipecio

Oct 3, 2021
I usually avoid answering these kinds of posts because it's just provocation.
But this one contains so much wrong information I just have to.

Just plain wrong. There are 2 more decisions to get points with her that have nothing to do with the first scene.
If you ended up with 0 points you fucked up way more than just the first scene.
And on top of that, you have a chance to get the first 2 points "back" at the start of CH2.

Again, just plain wrong.
Don't hug her if you don't like it. There's a second chance to get all of her story. You know... for example for people who didn't like to hug a stranger...

That's why there are 3 choices. So you have the option to... choose?!
The option is neither forced nor do you lose anything if you don't tell her everything. You'll miss out on a chance to get more information about her early.
But you can't complain about that, because, you know, why should she tell you about everything when you don't want to be open, too?

And, I guess, here comes the root cause for all the rants.
If you argue about the coding and the errors in it, make sure you actually understand what the code is doing.
That variable is legacy code. It does literally nothing. And it was never intended to do more than sum up a total of the available points (which I dropped because it was more effort than just counting the total by hand).
It never had any influence on the game.

With that in mind, all your problems are probably related to trying to get a "perfect" playthrough with max points possible by either checking the code, and failing miserably at that, or by using some kind of walkthrough that isn't working correctly.
The problem is, you don't even need max points for the paths...

And the bonus question.
Because? Because you would react like that? Because you expect it? Because you're the measurement of human behavior and we all react the same way to different things?
Yeah, no. Just no. And that's also the answer to your question in red.

In general, we probably can both agree to the game is not your style. You don't like it and that's perfectly fine.
Next time, just move on instead of pulling false "facts" out of your rear.

Or even better: Come up with some useful feedback. There is a point or two in all the text above that could be feedback.
They just get drowned in wrong claims and assumptions.

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
Hello everyone,

Not a lot to say about the development of Chapter 4 yet.
I started outlining the Chapter and the order of the scenes.

Usually, I use the time after a release to try a few new things because I lack the time for that when I'm fully into the development of a Chapter.
That way I can work on some new lighting setups or with characters I'm not using in the game (for obvious reasons in this case).
And if something critical happens with the release version I'm there to fix it asap.

Just like Chapter 2, the Chapter 3 release was pretty smooth.
A few minor issues, typos, poke-throughs, and so on. Nothing critical.
So... more time to mess around with DAZ and Photoshop.
You can see the result in the attached images.
She's one of my favorite characters from the Street Fighter series.

The minor things will get fixed in a future update which will also implement the French translation for Chapter 3.

I'll start the development of Chapter 4 now, so the next update will contain numbers for renders and lines of code, again.

Have a nice weekend,
Ceolag

cammy_8_1_classic_render1_2k.png cammy_8_1_classic_render2_2k.png cammy_8_1_sf6_render1_2k.png cammy_sf6_render2_2k.png

schinoize

Jun 8, 2021
And the other thing is the forced girlfriend at the start
I'll be honest I really hate that sort of thing.
Just out of curiosity - what's your stance regarding Kaija?
Is she not a forced gf because you can split early in the game? Or is she a forced gf and you would theoretically dislike her - however she's that awesome (I don't disagree) that the status doesn't matter? :D

Reactions: Joshy92

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Just out of curiosity - what's your stance regarding Kaija?
Is she not a forced gf because you can split early in the game? Or is she a forced gf and you would theoretically dislike her - however she's that awesome (I don't disagree) that the status doesn't matter? :D
Yeah i deal with it here because i think she is awesome
But if i didn't like her i probably wouldn't play this
But normally i do hate forced girls or sex scenes
Its just the writing is so good in this i can look past that
Plus we aren't forced to have sex with her.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I did find one choice pair a little silly with this latest release. If the MC has the phone conversation with Anissa and says, "I'm in" he then can go to Templar HQ instead of with Anissa. Is that for the players who are like, "Shit, I didn't want to go with her!"; who also never save at a choice menu; and who also happen not to know that Ren'Py rollback is a thing? Seems unnecessary having the second one if you've already had the MC promise to go.

Oct 10, 2022
I did find one choice pair a little silly with this latest release. If the MC has the phone conversation with Anissa and says, "I'm in" he then can go to Templar HQ instead of with Anissa. Is that for the players who are like, "Shit, I didn't want to go with her!"; who also never save at a choice menu; and who also happen not to know that Ren'Py rollback is a thing? Seems unnecessary having the second one if you've already had the MC promise to go.
That seemed weird to me also. Same thing goes for other options too. Maybe dev thought those would be sequential options but it bugged. :unsure:

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
Morning,

At this point, it's possible to promise Fiona AND Anissa to meet them. Or neither.

So that choice serves two purposes (mainly):
1. to show that there's an alternative path. Or two if you have neither Fiona nor Anissa.
2. Make you decide if you accepted both "dates"

Granted, especially the Anissa path makes less sense since it's just a few minutes ago but who am I to judge stupid decisions :p

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Morning,

At this point, it's possible to promise Fiona AND Anissa to meet them. Or neither.

So that choice serves two purposes (mainly):
1. to show that there's an alternative path. Or two if you have neither Fiona nor Anissa.
2. Make you decide if you accepted both "dates"

Granted, especially the Anissa path makes less sense since it's just a few minutes ago but who am I to judge stupid decisions :p
That was primarily my point. Not showing that you might have overbooked the MC, but that he had just barely finished with Anissa and then had that second menu pop up. It's not terrible or anything, but if what you describe is the intent, I would've instead expected the first menu (when he's on the phone with Anissa) to show a reminder (maybe just in his thoughts) that he's already agreed to something with Fiona. If the player's going to have to choose either way, it would be simpler IMO to have them choose right when agreeing / refusing to go clothes shopping.

It's just a suggestion and not a huge deal. I noticed it and found it a little odd, that's all. I still really love the game. :)

Reactions: ename144 and Ceolag

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
That was primarily my point. Not showing that you might have overbooked the MC, but that he had just barely finished with Anissa and then had that second menu pop up. It's not terrible or anything, but if what you describe is the intent, I would've instead expected the first menu (when he's on the phone with Anissa) to show a reminder (maybe just in his thoughts) that he's already agreed to something with Fiona. If the player's going to have to choose either way, it would be simpler IMO to have them choose right when agreeing / refusing to go clothes shopping.

It's just a suggestion and not a huge deal. I noticed it and found it a little odd, that's all. I still really love the game. :)
Well, you're right. That would've been the better way :ROFLMAO:
For some reason that didn't even strike my mind when coding the scene...

A bit too late for that scene now, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for later chapters.
Thank you!

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
ch4_preview1.png

Hello everyone,

Time for the first "real" Dev Update of Chapter 4.
As mentioned last week, I started working on Chapter 4 at the end of last week.
Took me a day to get back into the rhythm but the progress so far is pretty good.
Chapter 4 starts where Chapter 3 ended (surprise!), so the first scenes will be located in Neverwhere.
In general, Neverwhere will be a pretty big chunk of Chapter 4.
So expect a lot of neon lights and "fucking Bladerunner" for the next update.

One of the first scenes, the one I'm working on right now, is one I was looking forward to doing for quite a while now since it contains a reference to one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm smiling while setting up the renders and writing the dialog for it. I just love doing stuff like that.

The scene after will be challenging. It's a pretty important scene story-wise and probably really challenging to do in DAZ. If I don't pay attention, I fully expect it to run out of VRAM for the 4090.

Some numbers for this week:
79 static renders
2 animations
258 lines in the dialog file

The totals... are exactly the same :p

One more thing before I end this update:
When starting the Patreon page my plan was to start doing polls when I hit 50 patrons. We're getting there. Slowly but steadily at the moment.
So expect some polls in the (not so far) future.
For now, they'll be open to all Patrons (although the tiers say otherwise) so we can have more votes on them.
If you pledged the 5$ tier just for the polls (I don't really think anyone did...) and feel cheated, contact me and we'll solve that.

That's it for now. Have a nice weekend, guys.

Cheers,
Ceolag

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Again?! You hit me with a sword again?
They're kind of my thing (well, one of them). I own about a dozen modern Medieval era repros. And a halberd, a poleaxe, spear, several medieval era daggers, a couple hammers, an axe... ;) Except for the stage sword for piratey stuff, and one of the first swords I purchased that may serve better as a "wallhanger", all are real, functional and sharp, made to the specifications of the era - no sharpened crowbars that weigh 5lbs for me. :LOL::cool:

And I know a weaponsmith that made a functional version of the Montoya sword - really nice piece; really expensive! Wallhanger knock-offs of this one are relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022
They're kind of my thing (well, one of them). I own about a dozen modern Medieval era repros. And a halberd, a poleaxe, spear, several medieval era daggers, a couple hammers, an axe... ;) Except for the stage sword for piratey stuff, and one of the first swords I purchased that may serve better as a "wallhanger", all are real, functional and sharp, made to the specifications of the era - no sharpened crowbars that weigh 5lbs for me. :LOL::cool:

And I know a weaponsmith that made a functional version of the Montoya sword - really nice piece; really expensive! Wallhanger knock-offs are fairly inexpensive.
Wouldn't know, I only have table top katana display and I am pretty sure I cannot defend myself with it even if my life depends on it. ;):whistle::giggle: Though, I am fairly interested in history as an extend swords.

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
I took a couple classes of fencing while in the Army, couldn't take more because it was a actual discipline and the teacher time was limited. I loved every second of it, except the mask, too hard to see and stuffy as hell. I am fully aware that I get used to it in time and that it is a real life saver even with training swords. I would never have any future in the sport, while I am tall, and at the time very agile and thin, my arms are shorter than they should be, limiting my range that even my overly long legs couldn't solve. It was then that I found about my arms, it was such a pain. I really loved everything about fencing, about swords, even before I ever tried it.

I don't own any swords, I think that even the replicas are regulated here, but every time I go to one Medieval Fair (we have many of those here, we were actually around in Medieval times) I always stay for hours at the blacksmiths and the sword sellers, but I never buy one. I know myself, I know very well that I wouldn't be able to stop playing with it, and being clumsy AF I would hurt someone or break something. It will have to remain a long distance love affair.

Carry on, I HAD to get this out of my chest... :)

Peace :)

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
I took a couple classes of fencing while in the Army, couldn't take more because it was a actual discipline and the teacher time was limited. I loved every second of it, except the mask, too hard to see and stuffy as hell. I am fully aware that I get used to it in time and that it is a real life saver even with training swords. I would never have any future in the sport, while I am tall, and at the time very agile and thin, my arms are shorter than they should be, limiting my range that even my overly long legs couldn't solve. It was then that I found about my arms, it was such a pain. I really loved everything about fencing, about swords, even before I ever tried it.

I don't own any swords, I think that even the replicas are regulated here, but every time I go to one Medieval Fair (we have many of those here, we were actually around in Medieval times) I always stay for hours at the blacksmiths and the sword sellers, but I never buy one. I know myself, I know very well that I wouldn't be able to stop playing with it, and being clumsy AF I would hurt someone or break something. It will have to remain a long distance love affair.

Carry on, I HAD to get this out of my chest... :)

Peace :)
UK? It seems the government there gets really pissy about private citizens having any means of self-defense, including swords.

I know of many folks over that way that are in the game. Paul MacDonald, of MacDonald Armouries, is the guy that made the Montoya (one of a few that have done so). Were they teaching single stick or actually using epees or rebated sabers? There are HEMA and reenactment groups all over Europe if you want to really "go Medieval" (or "go Migration" or even further back).

Last edited:
4.40 star(s) 38 Votes