VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes

TheimmortalP

Jan 4, 2019
I have two questions.

1. Does this game have music?

2. Can someone please post some screenshots with dialogue so I can get an idea for what it's like in this game?

SamualHand

Engaged Member
May 4, 2018
1. Does this game have music?

2. Can someone please post some screenshots with dialogue so I can get an idea for what it's like in this game?
I have 2 answers for you!

1. Turn on music somewhere else, it might not fit, but solves your request

2. download, install & play, it would also answer question 1.

It might seem both answer are not helping to answer your questions and that is true! Well done Mr. Holmes.

Reactions: Saint Blackmoor

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
Hey guys,
No titties today but time for another update. I finished work on the 2nd scene which ended to be more like scenes 2 and 3. The cutscene is done and came out at 2m11s long. With a lightweight size of 230 MB already converted to webm (means: already compressed).
On top of that came a few more renders and quite a lot of dialog.
I already started working on the next scene(s). That'll be the evening of the day and a decision to spend it in the pub (where you'll meet Mac for the first time) or in a club dancing with Elea. Tough choice, I know!

To sum it up we're right now at 428 renders, 12 animations, and 1690 lines in the dialogue file. Chapter 1 had 750 renders, 20 animations, and 3311 lines of code for the dialogue. Safe to say, Chapter 2 will be a bit bigger than Chapter 1.

That's it for today. Have a great weekend.
Cheers, Ceolag

P.S. Mac feels ya. No titties today
b1_ch2_sc3_pub_p1_14.png

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
b1_ch2_sc3_pub_p2_30.png

Hey there,

About time for another update.
I finished the renders and animations for the first... adult scene this week and started working on the 2nd.
The first consists of around 20 static renders and 7 animations, 2 of them with 3 and 4 different camera angles.
So 14 animations if you want to count the camera angles as a separate animation.

As I said, I'm already on the next lewd scene since they happen at the same time (meaning you can see one, or the other, without reloading). The 2nd scene will be my work for the next week, setting up the animations, etc.
All in all, I am around halfway through the chapter right now, maybe a little bit less if I come up with spontaneous ideas (no major things, tho).

In total, we are at 512 static renders and 19 animations (without counting the different camera angles). I hope you guys have a great weekend.

Cheers, Ceolag

Oliz82

Mar 15, 2021
Hello.

The summary and the samples made me come. And it was very good.

The worldbuilding is great for a first release.
The characters are few and different.
The story is only starting but seems interesting.
The art is well done.

I was anxious to start the game due to MC's face being too angular. But in game, it isn't bothering at all.
The sequence of the events is well thought. The presentation of the characters is good, with an animated close-up to show them from bottom to top. The choice to define how we want to approach others is there (though I'm not sure how it affects the future story). The flashbacks were well included.
It's just an ordinary day that take a complete turn when a secret is revealed. The plot seems to lead in an interesting direction.
A little sad for Paul : he seemed like a good guy, though cold at first.

The girls are all nice.
Not sure what to think about the break up to come (I usually try my best to keep existing relationships, unless I don't like the other one).

What if I want to and am going to, but I can't only because the developer has decided so?
So the reason I can't seduce all the attractive men I find in games is because the devs don't want me to? :unsure:

Good continuation.

Last edited:

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
sc3_pub.png

Hey guys,
the weekend is about to start (hopefully) and it's time for another update.
My new SSD arrived last week since my "old" 1 TB SSD I had for DAZ files was running full. With the new 2 TB SSD, I now have 3 TB space in total for DAZ assets alone.
That should do for a while...
The process of moving DAZ to the bigger SSD cost me about a day for a clean install and redownload of the assets.
And another day after I noticed that I deleted Kaijas custom skin and Eleas morphs while moving the installation and cleaning up the folders...
Luckily I still had the resources for both so I was able to recreate them.

After that, I started the work on the 2nd adult scene of this chapter. While writing this, DAZ is rendering the last few frames of the last animation.
Speaking of animations, the 2nd scene comes with a total of 8 animations and around 550 rendered frames.
On top of this, there are 46 static renders with another 15 queued awaiting rendering.

That brings the totals to 558 static renders (without the 15 queued) and 27 animations. The dialogue file is right now at 2084 lines.

After nearly 3 weeks of rendering dick and pussies in a night/indoor setting I'm kinda happy to move to the next scenes that'll happen in daylight again. :p

Have a nice weekend.
Cheers,
Ceolag

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Well, I am intrigued. Too early to jump on a hype train but I'm at least checking the schedule. LOL

Would have liked it if you hadn't used the
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But I understand since they are familiar to a lot of people but not very well known at the same time.

Look forward to seeing what comes next, stayed loyal to Kaija as a good non-cheating asshole should. Hope that we aren't forced to stray for "story reasons".

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Look forward to seeing what comes next, stayed loyal to Kaija as a good non-cheating asshole should. Hope that we aren't forced to stray for "story reasons".
Says the guy with a signature of Midlife Crisis . . . that isn't of the MC's wife. :LOL:

But joking aside, it seems to me you'll be able to stay faithful if you choose. I obviously don't know the future of the game, but I never got the impression anything like that would be foisted on the players.

Reactions: MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Says the guy with a signature of Midlife Crisis . . . that isn't of the MC's wife. :LOL:

But joking aside, it seems to me you'll be able to stay faithful if you choose. I obviously don't know the future of the game, but I never got the impression anything like that would be foisted on the players.
Ha! Sarah is the one and only in that game... Everyone else is just for fun. ;)

I stay faithful when the game doesn't give me a reason to stop being faithful - a good reason. Something besides "because". I just hope that the MC cheating isn't the reason for a break up, I hate that. I wish more developers would realize that having the SO cheat as a catalyst for a breakup isn't a terrible idea. Can only think of one game like that... Though it was never finished.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
Well, I am intrigued. Too early to jump on a hype train but I'm at least checking the schedule. LOL

Would have liked it if you hadn't used the

But I understand since they are familiar to a lot of people but not very well known at the same time.

Pretty much exactly the reason why I used "them". Throw in the term and everyone has a rough idea, but they are "mysterious" enough to do my own thing.

Regarding Kaija (without going too much into spoiler territory):
The reason for the breakup is not "cheating". On either side.
And it won't be forced. It's your decision to break up, or not.

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
b1_ch2_sc3_club_2.png

Hello there,

time for another update. Nothing spectacular today, tho. As I said in my last update, I'm finally back in the sun with my renders after spending weeks with night settings. That makes rendering way easier and quite a bit faster.
The scene I'm working on right now is the last bigger one before the chapter finale. After the current scene, there's one short to medium (depending on your choices) scene planned and another short one.

Right now, all of these should be finished by the end of the month. After that, it's the chapter finale which I expect to be a ton of work. To give you a rough comparison, the finale of CH1 (which starts with leaving the office and meeting Paul) took around 4 weeks of work to finish.
I expect the finale of CH2 to be in the same ballpark.

As of now, we're at 700 static renders. Additionally, I already posed 2 more animations that will be rendered on the weekend. This brings the animations to a total of 29 right now. Last but not least, compared to the last update, another ~700 lines were added to the dialogue file, resulting in a total of 2741 right now.

Have a great weekend.
Cheers,
Ceolag

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
b1_ch2_sc6_2.png

Hey guys,

just a short update today.
I finished work on the bigger scene I mentioned in the last update and already started work on the short to medium one.
Progress on both is as expected, so I'm quite confident I'll finish the 3 scenes this month.

Right now there are 832 static renders completed. The 2 animations I mentioned in the last update are rendered, too.
Everything is coded and dialogue for the scene is written, which brings the script file for CH2 to 3530 lines right now.
That means, same as the animation count a few weeks back, the count for static renders and script lines are both beyond their CH1 counterparts (~750 renders and 3310 lines).
In short: CH2 is already bigger than CH1 without even reaching the chapter finale.

That's it for today, have a nice weekend.
Cheers,
Ceolag

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021
Pretty much exactly the reason why I used "them". Throw in the term and everyone has a rough idea, but they are "mysterious" enough to do my own thing.

Oh, that's interesting. In your (well done) intro you do state that they break up then it'll be up to us to try and reconnect.

But yeah the game is in development so I expect changes and such. And I personally don't mind this "change" - if it is one. It's possible I misunderstood something.

Humble quality of life suggestions and apologies if they've already been made:
1. Opacity control for text boxes.
2. Ability to label save files
3. Ability to delete save files in the game gui

Tags are interesting and so far the art direction and story are interesting. Looking forward to seeing where this heads.

cheers 3.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceolag

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021

Just finished this bit. Really good start. I'm impressed.
You can play a smart, polite, gentlemanly, professional MC.

manners man maketh.gif

No creeping around bedrooms.
No weird poorly explained absences from family or friends.
No college campuses.
Intrigue.
Beautiful girls that feel real.
Nice recap. Good intro.
One quibble:
However, I'm sure there's room for debate on that.

Some of it, the lighting felt a bit too dark. But that might just be my monitor.

Good fun!

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
Oh, that's interesting. In your (well done) intro you do state that they break up then it'll be up to use to try and reconnect.

But yeah the game is in development so I expect changes and such. And I personally don't mind this "change" - if it is one. It's possible I misunderstood something.

Humble quality of life suggestions and apologies if they've already been made:
1. Opacity control for text boxes.
2. Ability to label save files
3. Ability to delete save files in the game gui
Hey,
thank you very much for your feedback.
I checked the intro part and you're right. It does sound a bit different. The idea (and implementation in CH2) for that hasn't changed, it's just my bad phrasing that is to blame for the misunderstanding.
Reading the intro again I understand where the "forced"-feeling is coming from. I'll try to think of a better spoiler-free description for the intro.

Opacity for the text box and save delete shouldn't be too hard to implement. So I'll put them on my to-do list for CH2.

One quibble:
However, I'm sure there's room for debate on that.

Some of it, the lighting felt a bit too dark. But that might just be my monitor.
And thanks again for the nice words.
Regarding the spoiler: I'll probably change that too. Less judgmental and more just stating the fact of what you did.

The lighting, well I have to admit I'm a sucker for low lighting. So some scenes (read: quite a lot) are intentionally dark. The pub for example is meant to be a darker scene. I'm using 2 monitors. My main monitor is brighter than the secondary so I try to get the mood for the scene right on my main monitor and check with the darker secondary monitor if it's still "okay". Of course, my secondary monitor might still be brighter than other people's monitors.
Honestly, no clue how to solve that. Everyone has their preferences for their monitor and if you start arguing pretty much everyone will go "my monitor is set up perfectly fine, thanks".
Of course, I can make the renders brighter, but then they'll be too bright for my idea for the scene...

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes