VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
Personally, I'm a forgiving type and Kaija's forced deception is not even in the top 70% of egregious femme fatale betrayals in AVN history. So... I'm cool with her. :)
I'm playing the love Kaija path as well as the mad at her path. I don't see her as an antagonist, I just don't like people I can't trust and don't want them around me. Kaija is in that category for most of my play throughs. Sure the Templars can trust her, but my character can't.

There is no real antagonist in this story yet, just people with their own agendas which will always cause drama and problems. Ceolag is pretty good at that.

John972

Apr 24, 2018
I'm playing the love Kaija path as well as the mad at her path. I don't see her as an antagonist, I just don't like people I can't trust and don't want them around me. Kaija is in that category for most of my play throughs. Sure the Templars can trust her, but my character can't.

There is no real antagonist in this story yet, just people with their own agendas which will always cause drama and problems. Ceolag is pretty good at that.
I tend to be the same - a gut-feeling playthrough to start, followed by separate playthroughs for various LIs. Since it's just an AVN, I like to give LIs a chance unless they are a Vulvamort-level (Artimus) of perfidious/duplicitous.

• Haha
Reactions: Grumpy Old Aussie

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
I tend to be the same - a gut-feeling playthrough to start, followed by separate playthroughs for various LIs. Since it's just an AVN, I like to give LIs a chance unless they are a Vulvamort-level (Artimus) of perfidious/duplicitous.
funny thing the worst a LI is as a person the more it makes me want to do 1 save with them just to see how badly the MC gets fucked over granted that is my last save I do

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
:ROFLMAO: Vulvamort is in a class of her own.

Sometimes playing someone you don't like much can turn around like Steph from Leap of Faith. A friend convinced me to try her path once and my opinion of her completely changed. In Kaija's case not so. Even on the love her path, it just makes it worse, how do you deceive someone you are suppose to love like that, so it didn't work for Kaija, but you don't know these things until you try. Its not all on Kaija though, I'm hoping the MC gets to kick some parental ass as well. Don't get me started on families who keep secrets.

John972

Apr 24, 2018
:ROFLMAO: Vulvamort is in a class of her own.

Sometimes playing someone you don't like much can turn around like Steph from Leap of Faith. A friend convinced me to try her path once and my opinion of her completely changed. In Kaija's case not so. Even on the love her path, it just makes it worse, how do you deceive someone you are suppose to love like that, so it didn't work for Kaija, but you don't know these things until you try. Its not all on Kaija though, I'm hoping the MC gets to kick some parental ass as well. Don't get me started on families who keep secrets.
'funny you should mention Steph from LOF. I see many parallels between Kaija and her. In fact, their character arcs are extremely similar. It took quite a while in LOF before Steph's character became redeemable. I suspect something similar will happen with Kaija...

Reactions: Grumpy Old Aussie

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
'funny you should mention Steph from LOF. I see many parallels between Kaija and her. In fact, their character arcs are extremely similar. It took quite a while in LOF before Steph's character became redeemable. I suspect something similar will happen with Kaija...
There are some similarities for sure. The thing is in LOF the MCs parents weren't running the show and Kaija was a lifelong close friend where Steph had no prior loyalty to the MC, the exact opposite, the MC was her mark. Steph was extremely conflicted, Kaija by her own admission took the easy path. So the differences are important ones IMO.

albul

Jun 8, 2017
There were also some details from Steph's story that the dev retconned (actually went back and changed the dialogue/event) to make her more palatable to the player base. Not that I'm saying the dev should do the same here.

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
There were also some details from Steph's story that the dev retconned (actually went back and changed the dialogue/event) to make her more palatable to the player base. Not that I'm saying the dev should do the same here.
Bugger I missed that early version of LOF.

I don't think Ceolag needs to change anything here. I'm sure there will be some pro-Kaija events ahead after the elves. Besides plenty like her, I don't hate her. From a Templar point of view she is loyal and trustworthy. I just have some trust issues with her from my MCs point of view and since I'm a grumpy old bugger I want her to suffer some ramifications for her actions toward my character.

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017
Just thinking about why I don't have a issue with Kaija's lie almost makes no sense because I really should have an issue with it after putting some thought into it. But this is how I justify not having an issue with her personally.

I think part of the reason I have no issue with Kaija's lie is because I blame it mostly on the parents. If I recall correctly they got her to lie from a young age, so I can see why after lying for so many years it became harder and harder. Tho I do think she should of kept us in the friend zone until she was ready to tell her the truth or at the very least part of the truth as I could understand keeping a secret society secret. That's what I blame her for and did have an issue with at first as being our girlfriend makes it so much worst.

I just felt she was sincere with how sorry she was and for me it didn't feel like a bad lie that would hurt us if she was never our girlfriend to begin with and we questioned if really loved us. So I think if I didn't feel like she was sincere and perhaps I had a different personality in real life I would not of been able to forgive her. There was also the fact that I didn't feel like I got to know the other LI well enough just yet personally to the point that made an impression on me is another factor that comes into play why Kaija is my current favorite.

I can see Fiona being my favorite once we learn more about her. Fiona seems the most interesting so far to me and I feel like she's the only other LI I felt like we started to learn a lot about. While with Elea we started to learn more about her just not enough yet for me personally. I do get the feeling the next update with her we will get to know her alot better. Tho perhaps I forget something about her which is why I feel like that sometimes my memory sucks when moving onto to the next AVN, especially when the LI wasn't my first choice.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I think part of the reason I have no issue with Kaija's lie is because I blame it mostly on the parents. If I recall correctly they got her to lie from a young age, so I can see why after lying for so many years it became harder and harder. Tho I do think she should of kept us in the friend zone until she was ready to tell her the truth or at the very least part of the truth as I could understand keeping a secret society secret.
Yup and while the new extra scenes as kid helps in both ways...ultimately she still tells (regardless of path) that she 'officially' became a templar when she turned 18, but that she had been training for many years before that. In my mind, the parents knew then and as I reiterate here often, she was trained from a young age to be close to the MC as they were friends as young kids.

I just felt she was sincere with how sorry she was and for me it didn't feel like a bad lie that would hurt us if she was never our girlfriend to begin with and we questioned if really loved us.
Again, this all depends on the path you take with her, though even on the love path, it takes her time to realise what she has done and to actually try and put you first ahead of duty. Any other path, she makes it clear duty and oaths will always matter more.
I can see Fiona being my favorite once we learn more about her. Fiona seems the most interesting so far to me and I feel like she's the only other LI I felt like we started to learn a lot about. While with Elea we started to learn more about her just not enough yet for me personally. I do get the feeling the next update with her we will get to know her alot better.
Yup, two best for me too (though in many saves I don't accept Fiona's bullshit if keeping secrets from us (given she knows we have trust issues and have been open and honest with her, shame we don't get the same treatment back). Elea, best for me...interesting character and a mythological and lore & Legend expert, probably more than the templars themselves (as even if they do have certain knowledge of certain things), getting anyone to actually tell us (especially the asshole) is another matter entirely.

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes