VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.5.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 45 Votes

motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021
Mavi was very assiduous today, in the Lore and Legends thread there are already links and pics of diverse things posted by the sheer amount of material aviable it would be a sisiphos work to put that into a pdf ....;)
Well, shut my mouth. I should a guessed. Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to keep track of it and give it a good perusal. So... Sisiphos... isn't that his cousin?

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
Well, shut my mouth. I should a guessed. Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to keep track of it and give it a good perusal. So... Sisiphos... isn't that his cousin?
Well, I don't know for certain, I was refering to the guy which the greek gods cursed with rolling a boulder up a mountain, and that it rolls the other side down, so he has to start again. :ROFLMAO:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Haha
Reactions: motseer

Malicre

Oct 23, 2018
All that said, I'd ditch all 4 of the main LIS for Finnabair if it were possible lol. The other side girls are fun diversions as well but not on finn's level.
Finnabair was definitely great and i'm glad that she's going to be the precursor into getting with Medb. I'm glad the dev set it up like that so down the road the Medb / alfar relationship will feel much better after the loss of Finnabair.

Hungover00

Apr 29, 2023
Some side girls are better than main ones. Not that difficult because Elea and Medb aren't that great, at least for now.
Elea the office girl is not that interesting in a world full of templars, succubi, ellves and whatnot. Plus Helena is hotter.
Medb is hot but cold due to story pace, Im sure she will get better as a li down the line but so far it is what it is.
On the other hand Finnabair, the Valkyrie or the barista were good fucks and fun to be with.
There's a barista in this game? Or the bartender?

Mike Hunt TG

Jun 22, 2023
They're Álfr. They work in other ways as humans and also MC didn't share family details either. Medb and the Callister brat were bonding, sure, but that doesn't mean they have to talk about their love lives and their family. After all both are trying to find out if they can trust the other person.

Finnabair a daughter of the sun like all Ljosálfar. Medb explained that. But for the person who gave birth to her and is the biological mother it's Medb. It's literally said during the ceremony.
Wow! I read everything but did not quite catch that Medb was Finnabair's mother. I'll have to go back and re-read their conversations in the History.

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
I've played through a decent chunk of Chapter 5. My initial response was very negative, partially because the transition from rescuing the MC's father to visiting Alfheimr was too sudden, but mostly because the time we spent with the Alfar felt relatively weightless. We definitely get a lot of great background on Alfar society in general, but we don't learn much about their relationship with humanity, we learn nothing about Medb, and the one character we do build a rapport with is sidelined by the cliffhanger.

The end result was equally unfulfilling on my next two run-throughs – I didn't have a Medb-focused save to test. Since it was pretty clear I'd missed something at the end of the chapter, however, I went back and tried to up my points with her to see what I could uncover. It took more effort than I expected before I finally unlocked Medb's scenes, but what a difference it made! It not only addressed a couple of my complaints head on, but it gave the whole chapter a much greater sense of cohesion and added a real sense of closure (if tragic) to the ending.

So how should I rate the chapter as a whole? If we take Medb's path into account, I do think this was a pretty strong update. But at the same time, I don't think my initial response was invalid when you DON'T see Medb's extended content. IMHO, that's a mistake. I get that Medb is the Alfr LI and it makes sense an MC who is close to Medb would learn more about her and her people than MC's with a poor relationship with her, but the balance – both in terms of how much content is gated and points required to open the gate – is wrong.

To discuss this further, we're going to have to dig into the spoilers.
Alright, I think that roughly sums up my thoughts. To reiterate, there's a lot to love in the chapter and I do think it will age well as later chapters fill in some of the missing pieces and sand down the rough edges. But I am still a little frustrated at how uninquisitive the MC is when it matters, and I feel strongly that the unlocking requirements for a key scene needs to be relaxed.

tl;dr We get some great background material and a few good character moments, but the chapter is too dependent on Medb's path to be satisfying.
Thanks for the long post, ename :)
I've taken my notes for future updates.
One thing I'd like to address is the ending part. I got that suggestion in Beta too. With pretty much the same reasoning.
It's not an oversight, it's done on purpose in this case. While I understand the demand of the player to see everything, it doesn't fit Medb's character.
She's the one in charge at that moment and it's her decision. Not Finnabair's, not MC's. And just because you're friends it doesn't automatically mean you're allowed to participate in that specific scene.
I had seen that happen a few times myself. Even very close friends or family weren't allowed to participate.
It would be completely against Medb's character to invite MC if she's not convinced about him.
The "MC could watch from a distance" is very close to a plothole imo. How would he know where and when? How would he get there while being considered almost an enemy at that point? Ailill could bring him in... against Medb's and potentially Mab's will?!

No... character motivation trumps everything in this scene for me. Every other solution would be a stretch at best.

HOWEVER:
I understand that it might be too hard to get that scene even if you're trying for it. With a wiggle room of 2 points and 1 point being very "unintuitive" to get there's not a lot of room for mistakes.
I'll drop the requirement for that scene to 13 points which is in line with all other LI's thresholds for their story (~75%).
The Steam version will get rolled out with that change and Patreon will get it with the next update (or a minor update...).

Thanks again for your long and exhaustive feedback.
Cheers,
Ceo

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I understand that it might be too hard to get that scene even if you're trying for it. With a wiggle room of 2 points and 1 point being very "unintuitive" to get there's not a lot of room for mistakes.
It should be hard imo.
I'll drop the requirement for that scene to 13 points
See above. I wouldn't, making a precedent Ceo everytime someone cries like a little girl because they didn't get/see exactly what they think they should. Stick to 'your' vision and decisions. if it was easy to get, then what's the point of the impact of the scene?

Last edited:

AlexMpog

Oct 17, 2022
Isn't it like Medb's arc? Her daughter funeral I mean.
If you want to see this scene you should be invested in her and be on her route. I thought actually having 15 out of 17 is pretty reasonable.

And all those arguments - "I want to see all content in 1 playthrough" reminds of how harem-dedicated-players justify it, oh well.
I hope it won't make people cry here even more and start demanding other things, cause the more you give - the more people demand

Just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

Hungover00

Apr 29, 2023
With a wiggle room of 2 points and 1 point being very "unintuitive" to get there's not a lot of room for mistakes.
I'll drop the requirement for that scene to 13 points which is in line with all other LI's thresholds for their story (~75%).
The Steam version will get rolled out with that change and Patreon will get it with the next update (or a minor update...).
Was the "unintuitive" part calling Alfar bitches?

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Was the "unintuitive" part calling Alfar bitches?
Yes, I would assume so, though even then, is it really? She likes that you have balls, act impulsively and will somewhat stand your ground (you gain points for this allllllllll the way back in chapter 1 (so it's not a new phenomenom). Yes she will tell you to never say it again (with a smirk)...but is it really that unobvious?

Last edited:
Reactions: motseer
4.40 star(s) 45 Votes