VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.5.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 45 Votes

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
WARNING: Blatant, unmarked spoilers for Chapter 5 ahead.

Why? Medb is family, the mother of Finnabair. MC is..., well,... nothing. Just a friend, maybe. Finnabair reports everything to Medb. That's why you get Medb points when you're talking to Finnabair. When Finnabair's mother don't like MC enough, why should she invite him to one of the intimatest moments of a family?
First of all, that's not really a fair argument since someone who misses the last scene would not know Medb is Finnabair's mother. To them, she dies and the the story ends without any wrap-up. There's no reason to assume things would be different if only Medb thought the MC was hotter.

But more importantly, why should I give a shit what Medb's mother thinks of the MC just because she's Finnabair's mother? Sure, he can be disinvited to her funeral but the MC should still want to grieve on his own and he doesn't need anyone's permission to do that. Indeed, an MC who liked Finnabair but disliked Medb should be that much more invested in grieving on his own since he is suffering not only the loss of a friend but also the injustice of Medb's intolerance.

Imagine if Jessica had died a sudden death at the end of the chapter; would you accept it when the MC just shrugs his shoulders unless you chose the nearly all the calmest possible reaction to his parents' idiocy up to that point? They are her parents after all, and the MC is just (by your own choices!) her estranged brother. If Templar simps get a touching sendoff and MCs who take those buffoons to task get a "To be continued" screen, would that really make for a satisfying chapter?

I don't think so, yet that's what you're advocating for. :confused:

I actually thought about that earlier today and your right but i also believe the pregnancy clinic scene that someone posted earlier that seemed to of been scrapped made Medb realize that the MC was more then just a "friend" to Finnabair, hence why he got the invitation.
I don't think that can be the case since fucking Finnabair isn't a factor in getting the invitation. You will lose a Medb point if you don't flirt with Finnabair right from the start, but you can afford to miss that point (though you have precious little wiggle room), and you can still turn Finnabair down when the time comes without consequence.

Also, am I the only one who finds it a little squicky that Medb finds it hot if you flirt with her daughter? I am? Right, never mind then.

You keep emphasizing that she is your friend and it gives you some rights.

So, hypothetically your friend dies in some accident, his parents/family don't like you and they not only don't invite you - they explicitly tell you to fuck off, and instead of respecting the family's decision and their need for privacy you decide to barge in... not sure, I believe you...

On the other hand, I dunno were are you from, so maybe in your country and culture that's fine...
Why does everyone think I want the MC to barge into a funeral? I've said specifically again that is not the case! This isn't about the MC's legal rights, it's about narrative closure! A character I care about dies, and the narrative simply ends with absolutely no acknowledgement of how big a deal this is... unless I racked up a bunch of points with a different character. That's just frustrating! For crying out loud, even Obi-Wan Kenobi got a few seconds for Luke to mourn him in Star Wars, and that guy was *the* quintessential doomed mentor! How can it be so confusing that I want the equivalent of that scene for Finnabair?!

But whatever, let's look at the scenario you laid out. I don't know where you are from, but in the stories I've seen, the parents barring me from my friend's funeral over my race/religion/nationality/etc would normally be seen as a failure of the parents, not myself. So I do find it a little strange that everyone seems eager to jump to their defense here.

Reactions: Majindevil

motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021
WARNING: Blatant, unmarked spoilers for Chapter 5 ahead.

First of all, that's not really a fair argument since someone who misses the last scene would not know Medb is Finnabair's mother. To them, she dies and the the story ends without any wrap-up. There's no reason to assume things would be different if only Medb thought the MC was hotter.

But more importantly, why should I give a shit what Medb's mother thinks of the MC just because she's Finnabair's mother? Sure, he can be disinvited to her funeral but the MC should still want to grieve on his own and he doesn't need anyone's permission to do that. Indeed, an MC who liked Finnabair but disliked Medb should be that much more invested in grieving on his own since he is suffering not only the loss of a friend but also the injustice of Medb's intolerance.

Imagine if Jessica had died a sudden death at the end of the chapter; would you accept it when the MC just shrugs his shoulders unless you chose the nearly all the calmest possible reaction to his parents' idiocy up to that point? They are her parents after all, and the MC is just (by your own choices!) her estranged brother. If Templar simps get a touching sendoff and MCs who take those buffoons to task get a "To be continued" screen, would that really make for a satisfying chapter?

I don't think so, yet that's what you're advocating for. :confused:

I don't think that can be the case since fucking Finnabair isn't a factor in getting the invitation. You will lose a Medb point if you don't flirt with Finnabair right from the start, but you can afford to miss that point (though you have precious little wiggle room), and you can still turn Finnabair down when the time comes without consequence.

Also, am I the only one who finds it a little squicky that Medb finds it hot if you flirt with her daughter? I am? Right, never mind then.

Why does everyone think I want the MC to barge into a funeral? I've said specifically again that is not the case! This isn't about the MC's legal rights, it's about narrative closure! A character I care about dies, and the narrative simply ends with absolutely no acknowledgement of how big a deal this is... unless I racked up a bunch of points with a different character. That's just frustrating! For crying out loud, even Obi-Wan Kenobi got a few seconds for Luke to mourn him in Star Wars, and that guy was *the* quintessential doomed mentor! How can it be so confusing that I want the equivalent of that scene for Finnabair?!

But whatever, let's look at the scenario you laid out. I don't know where you are from, but in the stories I've seen, the parents barring me from my friend's funeral over my race/religion/nationality/etc would normally be seen as a failure of the parents, not myself. So I do find it a little strange that everyone seems eager to jump to their defense here.
Sounds to me like you need to write a better story of your own, dude. It probably won't take much more work than the walls of text you've been posting to disparage this one. I'll even give it a review. Jus' Sayin':cool:

Reactions: Malicre

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
Imagine if Jessica had died a sudden death at the end of the chapter; would you accept it when the MC just shrugs his shoulders unless you chose the nearly all the calmest possible reaction to his parents' idiocy up to that point?
Jessica is his SISTER, not his friend. And yes, I would accept, when my parents decides on the funeral of my sister aren't any not so close friends allowed. Not so close friends? Of course. Finnabair and MC had five(?) weeks of her several centuries long life together. Forced by her mother. So yes, the word of the family matters more as some selfish feelings of MC. He has to respect the culture of the Ljosálfar and also the wish of the family.

And just to be clear, if one of my daughters would die, and some dude she knews for a few weeks would demanding to come to the funeral, I would question how he was parented. That's disrespectful as fuck.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Why? Medb is family, the mother of Finnabair. MC is..., well,... nothing. Just a friend, maybe. Finnabair reports everything to Medb. That's why you get Medb points when you're talking to Finnabair. When Finnabair's mother don't like MC enough, why should she invite him to one of the intimatest moments of a family?
Just give it up Moni...just wants to argue for the sake of it, and not for the first time.

Reactions: Malicre

Punto

Jun 18, 2020
Strange Kaspersky reports “.exe” infected. I'll reload the program. So be careful.
:unsure: :unsure: :eek:o_O

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I will check the whole file with Virus-Total. :unsure: :unsure:
You known there's an edit button right?

That aside, is there a reason you're using bright yellow? Whatever, if you downloaded this on the day it was uploaded the file is indeed infected. Otherwise, all links in the op are currently fine. This is well known, everyone knew at the time...

So would suggest just redownloading it again and delete the one you have. Then, nuke Kaspersky, it's as bad as Norton.

Reactions: Quetzzz

Teal80

Dec 27, 2017
Any guesses at Fiona’s real name?

I am postulating based on her pausing at the F when saying her name for the first time on the different playthroughs I’ve made.

There are many references to Norse mythology but also Celtic/Irish mythology (Queen Medbh was married to Alill and had a daughter named Finnabair in Irish Mythology, Lugh was also an Irish God of Nobility… I assume this has already been spotted)

Given that the dog’s name is Orla - another female Irish name I’m sticking with the Irish supernatural naming for F…iona.

So I’m going with Flidais, Goddess of Fertility and cattle.

Could also be Fuamnach, but she was a witch and came to a bad end so I doubt that.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020

I am postulating based on her pausing at the F when saying her name for the first time on the different playthroughs I’ve made.

There are many references to Norse mythology but also Celtic/Irish mythology (Queen Medbh was married to Alill and had a daughter named Finnabair in Irish Mythology, Lugh was also an Irish God of Nobility… I assume this has already been spotted)

Given that the dog’s name is Orla - another female Irish name I’m sticking with the Irish supernatural naming for F…iona.

Could also be Fuamnach, but she was a witch and came to a bad end so I doubt that.
Possible....

https://f95zone.to/threads/the-neverwhere-tales-lore-legends.219419/

Reactions: Teal80

Old Grumpy Wolf

Formerly 'Dark Silence'
Jul 17, 2021

Or and probably the right one, if she's based on a Goddess, Fódla.

Reactions: xapican

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
We know for sure Fiona isn't her real name. The big question is: who is she in irish mythology? I think she's on of the Tuatha Dé Danann.
The funny thing is, if Fiona is Morrígan, she could be the one who tried to prevent the defense of Cú Chulainn in the battle against the army of Medb and Ailill in the Ulster cycle. But she could also be Étaín, daughter auf Ailill. Perhaps she's Áine, goddess of summer, wealth, and sovereignty or a fairy. There're some different versions of her in the mythology.

Reactions: Teal80 and Maviarab

Teal80

Dec 27, 2017
Look forward to any contributions you have :)
Slightly unrelated contribution - not on Lore.
In your walkthrough I didn't see a mention of losing Kaija point if also dating Fiona.
Chapter 3 "Kaija Training" section at the start of this session you lose 1 Kaija LP after a sucessful Fiona date. Only just noticed it now on a Kaija+Fiona playthrough (yeah disaster in the future for sure).

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Slightly unrelated contribution - not on Lore.
In your walkthrough I didn't see a mention of losing Kaija point if also dating Fiona.
Chapter 3 "Kaija Training" section at the start of this session you lose 1 Kaija LP after a sucessful Fiona date. Only just noticed it now on a Kaija+Fiona playthrough (yeah disaster in the future for sure).
Hmmm thought I added that in...because you're late to training isn't it?

Thanks, I'll check, WT is due an update in the next day or so anyway as adding an 'Elvish' glossary at the end with all the translations.

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
Question is more for Ceolag, the "Alfar" language (yes I'm woke here :p :LOL:) is it made up or can we actually look somewhere to get some words ?

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Last edited:
Reactions: lolpetrolol
4.40 star(s) 45 Votes