ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
I'm amazed at how all of you guys are so passionate about working and discussing all of it.
We're all a bunch of nerds and have found out the witchcraft that can be pulled off with renpy.

We've read 30+ years of comics, played a metric ton of other renpy games to see what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong, and every time one of the non-tech guys go "I wish [thing] was possible." one of tech guys goes "Oh I can have that done in a few minutes."

We figured out how to make things a tad more "animated"* which has had our writing team and UI guys go nuts with potential.

Plus I just tend to keep an eye on the thread and with people telling me how they appreciate quick responses, I try to provide them.

*not actual animation, we just found ways to not have characters be static for the entire game.

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
Shiny, this is your doctor speaking. You have terminal Boneritus. The only cure at this stage is a full nude of Jean Grey. If only we caught it sooner:cry:
We've been getting too little from Jean in the teases. C'mon, Shiny. Shine on the girl, will ya'?

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
We've read 30+ years of comics, played a metric ton of other renpy games to see what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong, and every time one of the non-tech guys go "I wish [thing] was possible." one of tech guys goes "Oh I can have that done in a few minutes."
I've actually been reading the entire X-Men series from Giant-Sized X-Men #1 (the 60s stuff is too simplistic for me these days and most of the 70s was just reprints of older issues) and I'm just about to get to the first X-Men comic I remember reading: X-Factor #14 from 1986, the issue where Angel loses his wings as a result of the Mutant Massacre. Didn't realise my intro to the X-Men was such a pivotal storyline.

Relatedly, I don't know why, but rereading Uncanny #213 (Sabertooth Vs. Psylocke) brought a lot of weird memories back. For whatever reason, I remember that story very clearly. Amazing art by Alan Davis as well, if you haven't read it, such a good standalone issue.

aj1

Aug 5, 2016
*not actual animation, we just found ways to not have characters be static for the entire game.
I know you probably cant say much, but can you go more in depth.

I mean are we talking about characters blinking, transitioning poses based on mood/response. How they enter/exit the scene. Just making the game more alive?

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
I know you probably cant say much, but can you go more in depth.

I mean are we talking about characters blinking, transitioning poses based on mood/response. How they enter/exit the scene. Just making the game more alive?
Oh all that I can confirm is a thing. We got that working ages ago.

Reactions: aj1 and rick1463

rick1463

Mar 8, 2019
I've actually been reading the entire X-Men series from Giant-Sized X-Men #1 (the 60s stuff is too simplistic for me these days and most of the 70s was just reprints of older issues) and I'm just about to get to the first X-Men comic I remember reading: X-Factor #14 from 1986, the issue where Angel loses his wings as a result of the Mutant Massacre. Didn't realise my intro to the X-Men was such a pivotal storyline.

Relatedly, I don't know why, but rereading Uncanny #213 (Sabertooth Vs. Psylocke) brought a lot of weird memories back. For whatever reason, I remember that story very clearly. Amazing art by Alan Davis as well, if you haven't read it, such a good standalone issue.
I agree with all of this. I had the good fortune of reading the Claremont-Cockrum-Byrne-Smith stories when I was a kid, which means that I obviously developed a crush on Kitty Pryde and the New Mutants girls. I'll be thrilled to see some of them in this game.

Reactions: Crichton

krazy4games

May 4, 2018
Not sure if this has been asked, but are there going to be any visible stats for the girls? i know its been established that this is not a trainer, but even general sandbox games (and even some VN's) still have stats of somekind. Im curious about things like friendship, romantic interest, mood, happiness, sexual desire, things like that.

On that same note, are there going to be invisible ones that while you can't see a number, you can pick up on these things by their facial expression, posture, outfit, etc... like if sexual desire isnt a visible stat, will you be able to tell by the way they act/look?

Thanks in advance shiny!

Reactions: Crichton

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
The original Mutant Massacre (capital letters, as opposed to any other time a big number of mutants died, like when Sentinels wiped out 16 million mutants on the island of Genosha) was when Mr. Sinister hired a bunch of mutant mercenaries, known as the Marauders, to wipe out the Morlocks - the mutants too weird or just plain ugly to live with the 'normal-looking' people - living in the sewers and tunnels underneath the city. We never found out how many actually died, but it's implied to be hundreds, they were supposed to be a big community.

Biggest fallout of the storyline was that Angel wound up losing his wings, having to get them amputated. That led to him being picked up by Apocalypse and turned into one of his Horsemen, a plot point that still crops up today - Apocalypse's hold on Angel is considered to be one of his defining character moments/traits now, though I haven't seen much with him in the current Krakoan era, and and Big A is considered an 'ally' right now, so I'm not sure how that plays out in the big picture.

Other interesting tidbits: Kitty got stuck in her phased form and started losing cohesion, nearly dissipating into nothingness. She was saved by Dr. Doom, who basically did it because Reed Richards couldn't and wanted to remind him who the better scientist was, before ordering everyone to duck because he was about to turn left and didn't want to knock everyone out with his gigantic dick. It took 16 Doombots to carry his testicles out of the room. Legend has it, Sue still thinks of it to this day.

Colossus wound up unable to walk and stuck in his armored form for a while, due to injuries sustained during the fight. He had to kill one of the Marauders during the fight as well, which haunted him for a long while. Nightcrawler ended up in a coma, due to the battle and injuries he already had fighting Nimrod, an adaptive Sentinel from an alternate future (seriously, 80s and 90s X-Men was wild). And Psylocke was made an official member of the team, thanks to her efforts in single-handedly leading Sabertooth away from the injured and finishing the job he started with the Marauders - at this point, there was something like a hundred injured and dying Morlocks recovering in the mansion and in Magik's corner of Limbo, basically all the survivors of the attack, and with most of the team injured, missing or otherwise out of action, he could've easily done it.

And in the 90s, Gambit, who had been hinted at as having something indescribably dark in his past, was revealed to have been hired by Sinister as the guy who put the whole thing together. That went down poorly with the rest of the team, he got booted from the squad, Angel and Wolverine nearly murdered him IIRC and it's only in recent years that other characters have begun to get over the betrayal. Either way, it's still something that gets brought up from time to time as a reason not to trust him.

So yeah, there's a reason why it's remembered as one of the big storylines from the 80s, it shook up the status quo in a big way for years and in ways that still matter even today

Reactions: Farajure

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
Thanks for the laugh, Holder. And the rest too, I guess.

But damn, you and Shiny are old, man.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
Not sure if this has been asked, but are there going to be any visible stats for the girls?
friendship
romantic interest
;)

On that same note, are there going to be invisible ones that while you can't see a number, you can pick up on these things by their facial expression, posture, outfit, etc...
happiness
sexual desire
;)

i know its been established that this is not a trainer
I will reiterate that just because we're not a trainer anymore, doesn't mean we don't have some of the elements people like from that kind of game. Encourage a girl's quirk if you're into the corruption aspect of things.

What is the mutant massacre?
I read about it, there were a few if I'm right. But I'm curious as to which Holder meant.
Mr. Sinister hired a bunch of mutant mercenaries, known as the Marauders, to wipe out the Morlocks
This.

She was saved by Dr. Doom, who basically did it because Reed Richards couldn't and wanted to remind him who the better scientist was, before ordering everyone to duck because he was about to turn left and didn't want to knock everyone out with his gigantic dick.
I love Doom XD

He's one of the most fun Marvel villains. He does things "because he can" and I find it depressing whenever he's given any other motivation because it usually involves him turning down the ham and pointlessly murdering people.

The guy became the third most powerful being in existence in at least five different realities, in one of them TWICE, but sometimes they just make him Red Skull with an iron mask.

There's a side story in the Uncanny run where the X-Men fight him just because. We probably won't be adapting it the first go around because we can't really use it to advance a girl's story or a story to advance the plot but there is discussion of going back and adding "side quest." I am pushing for all Doom content to be included.

Colossus wound up unable to walk and stuck in his armored form for a while, due to injuries sustained during the fight. He had to kill one of the Marauders during the fight as well, which haunted him for a long while.
Nightcrawler ended up in a coma, due to the battle and injuries he already had fighting Nimrod, an adaptive Sentinel from an alternate future
And Psylocke was made an official member of the team, thanks to her efforts in single-handedly leading Sabertooth away from the injured and finishing the job he started with the Marauders
:HideThePain:

(seriously, 80s and 90s X-Men was wild)
Yeah the stuff we can't fit is either something that happens off screen or a fabrication of the comic book industry in the section of the multiverse we're inhabiting.

So yeah, there's a reason why it's remembered as one of the big storylines from the 80s, it shook up the status quo in a big way for years and in ways that still matter even today
If/When/Whatever we do this we're probably not gonna shake it up too extensively. The team can't really justify uprooting the player and other characters to Australia and will probably be figuring out ways to just have that period take place in in a not as destroyed X-Mansion. Same with the time they spent in the Bermuda Triangle. This may change however.

The number one thing the team wants is to maintain the sandbox and not have your waifu taken away from you for more than a semester.

Last edited:

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
If/When/Whatever we do this we're probably not gonna shake it up too extensively. The team can't really justify uprooting the player and other characters to Australia and will probably be figuring out ways to just have that period take place in in a not as destroyed X-Mansion. Same with the time they spent in the Bermuda Triangle. This may change however.

The number one thing the team wants is to maintain the sandbox and not have your waifu taken away from you for more than a semester.
If you were to do that, I'd consider doing something like unlockable side-scenarios much like (I think) W.I.T.C.H. Trainer does: do a short, non-canon scenario with a couple of characters, then let people go back and replay them. Bonus if you let people unlock their look/style for the main girls, so we could have, say AoA Jean and Rogue or some of Rachel's alternate looks for Jean. Focus on the main game and have 'Alternate Scenarios Written by Someone Who Totally Isn't Ms. Marvel, She's Too Innocent To Write Smut How Dare You' available in the Danger Room.

aj1

Aug 5, 2016
ShinyBoots1993 What universe/multiiverse are we in, did you say? Looking at the wiki, damn there's a lot. We going with the old Earth-69.

Also one of the descriptors has Rouge and Magneto having a kid. Not a pairing i'd imagine, like you keep saying, the comics are wild. I can only imagine there's plenty of other weird pairings.

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
Rogue and Mags have had a weird relationship. The one you're talking about is the Age of Apocalypse timeline where they had a kid named after Charles Xavier. In the main Marvel Universe (known as the 616 universe for those unaware), she also got together with a version of Magneto called Joseph who had been deaged/was a clone/alternate reality duplicate/who the fuck even knows anymore. His backstory was horribly complex and subject to constant retcons and revisions over the course of about four years, so most people are glad he's been quietly forgotten about for a while. That relationship occasionally spills over to the real Mags, since he somehow shares some of Joseph's memories.

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
(...) she also got together with a version of Magneto called Joseph who had been deaged/was a clone/alternate reality duplicate/who the fuck even knows anymore. That relationship occasionally spills over to the real Mags, since he somehow shares some of Joseph's memories.
So, the old geezer has all the memories of Rogue's kinks and sweet nothing's whispers? That's freakish.

4.60 star(s) 152 Votes