Crichton

Aug 5, 2018
Maybe its me, but her eyes being open when her brows are furrowed looks off, right. Like your eyes would compress more like the initial expression.
I'm not really seeing it, but I'm also not saying you're wrong. I got an automatic suspension of disbelief going on that'd filter it out even if you're correct.

BDman234

Jan 16, 2021
Maybe its me, but her eyes being open when her brows are furrowed looks off, right. Like your eyes would compress more like the initial expression.
Well she looks more angry/surprised so it makes sense her eyes are still wider, doesn't look weird to me.

Kinda like this C2E5F1C9-8FBE-4EA7-987C-F78BF64487B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Crichton

aj1

Aug 5, 2016
Well she looks more angry/surprised so it makes sense her eyes are still wider, doesn't look weird to me.

Kinda like this View attachment 2462323
I get that, your pic doesn't look angry/aggressive through. The second picture captures the suprise/flush, which should then revert, again it's just my opinion.
Compare it to this.
th-3518762990.jpg
Its sort of a similar angle of looking to the side.

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
Surprised involves other muscles moving too. Her mouth doesn't frown, her cheekbone doesn't move and her cheek doesn't expand. She's just frowning, Jack Hughman's Wolverine style - where he'd only frowns and changes nothing else on his face. (Dude doesn't even squint, it's a fun build up.)

The reason it looks weird is the jump, it's not a smooth transition. The colour in her eyes, as well as the eyelids, change immediately - which is pretty weird, but it probably won't look that way when you don't have time to stop and analyze it frame by frame.
Human emotions have build ups, they aren't easy to promote in three-frames.

Reactions: aj1

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
I get that, your pic doesn't look angry/aggressive through. The second picture captures the suprise/flush, which should then revert, again it's just my opinion.
She is sorta flushing, isn't she? So it's a mix between embarassament and despair. She's also getting ready for something, doesn't look like she's showing anything - but the claws are supposed to hurt everytime they're used, right? Although, at that point in her life - along the context that the image appears to show - I figure she'd be used to it.

BDman234

Jan 16, 2021
Surprised involves other muscles moving too. Her mouth doesn't frown, her cheekbone doesn't move and her cheek doesn't expand. She's just frowning, Jack Hughman's Wolverine style - where he'd only frowns and changes nothing else on his face. (Dude doesn't even squint, it's a fun build up.)

The reason it looks weird is the jump, it's not a smooth transition. The colour in her eyes, as well as the eyelids, change immediately - which is pretty weird, but it probably won't look that way when you don't have time to stop and analyze it frame by frame.
Human emotions have build ups, they aren't easy to promote in three-frames.
I'm just saying the wide-eyed anger expression itself doesn't look weird. Not like it's really possible to make all the tiny adjustments in between expressions

Rapeseed

Apr 19, 2020
I'm just saying the wide-eyed anger expression itself doesn't look weird. Not like it's really possible to make all the tiny adjustments in between expressions
The expression isn't weird, the transition is. There are three frames in the gif. Her idle, the wide-eyes with raised eyebrows and then the wide-eyes with the common side-high frown.

Individually, the first two are great, but the last one lacks more skin folding along the forehead and eyebrows - which's what I expected, but I reckon this is a different view on her so I don't care. My Null'll be putting a baby in that with a ten-store frown or with a frown that makes me smile in comparison any day.

Crichton

Aug 5, 2018
Which mutant would be an E-girl? Probably one of the time-travel ones. Or Nega-sonic's gf from the 2nd deadpool movie.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
I loved the comicbook-like snikt sound effect in the latest tease. For me, anything that brings the game closer to a comicbook aesthetic/vibe is a good thing. Thanks for sharing. (y)
Oh we have a lot of plans for that. We're not going to go Adam West Batman levels but all the good staple effects such as Wolverine and X-23's snikt, Nightcrawler's BAMF, and Cyclops' "Zark" are gonna be there.

Early on I pushed for the comic-book vibe over TV/Film and we've come up with some pretty cool stuff.

The tease before this one showcased one of Rogue's outfits and an optional comic book filter that has those "dots" you'll see in some of the older comics.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
can you like put this emote :unsure: in the dialogue box when the pc do the thinking lol (j/k)
You know, we don't actually have anything indicating player emotion save for a few instances. The characters you'll be encountering casually in the sandbox all have an absurd number of facial expressions. It's probably too late into development but maybe we can add some kind of icon next to player dialogue as not all options will be the three archetypes and the MC will be giving automatic responses in some instances.

Crichton

Aug 5, 2018
You know, we don't actually have anything indicating player emotion save for a few instances. The characters you'll be encountering casually in the sandbox all have an absurd number of facial expressions. It's probably too late into development but maybe we can add some kind of icon next to player dialogue as not all options will be the three archetypes and the MC will be giving automatic responses in some instances.
It might help to put them next to speech options where it might otherwise be unclear. Avoids the whole fallout 4's pick "no" to have your char shout "no you fucking bitch!"

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
It might help to put them next to speech options where it might otherwise be unclear. Avoids the whole fallout 4's pick "no" to have your char shout "no you fucking bitch!"
You'll be able to read your entire initial sentence before clicking.

We'll probably add an icon for the archetypes(Determined/Overwhelmed/Angry) since knowing which is which will be important seeing as characters will be commenting on your attitude and whether or not it's consistent.

Crichton

Aug 5, 2018
So do you guys have a stable build? It doesn't have to be a finished one, just a functional one in case things fuck up before release.

I'm hoping for an early april release.

4.60 star(s) 152 Votes