Ren'Py Abandoned The Office Wife Unofficial Ren'Py [v0.70b] [Phalzyr]

4.30 star(s) 11 Votes

cebs

Engaged Member
Donor
Compressor
Feb 19, 2018
i made a joke... but basically yes. in other words: a ren-py remake was not needed in my opinion ;) but as i said: it was a joke
I honestly linked the rpgm version cause i thought you didn't know it existed :ROFLMAO:
But for me, ren'py is my favorite and since I'm and android user, rpgm turns out to be a little complicated

Reactions: Banality

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
I will say one other word: rollback

That feature alone makes Ren'py IMO the only viable option for linear VN's which this game is in essence

Yes. RPGM is a good engine for RPGs, but a poor one for VNs like this. Ren'Py does everything that this game needs, and does it far, far better than RPGM. Useless clicks are useless.

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
One main difference between RPGM and Ren'py from an Author/Artist 's point of view is that:
  • the 1st has a Point & Click Interface where there is limited typing needed besides entering Prose and assigning/selecting Names to/of Things. (And you can create a visual room/location layout fairly quickly.)
  • the 2nd requires you to learn to code, both structure and language syntax.

osmcuser132

Modder
Aug 8, 2017
One main difference between RPGM and Ren'py from an Author/Artist 's point of view is that:
  • the 1st has a Point & Click Interface where there is limited typing needed besides entering Prose and assigning/selecting Names to/of Things. (And you can create a visual room/location layout fairly quickly.)
  • the 2nd requires you to learn to code, both structure and language syntax.
As a professional developer with +25y of coding experience I would say the second point is kind of moot.
To create a simple linear VN in Ren'Py such as this one, you need to learn proper indentation and about 6-8 actual code-words.

On the other hand, if you want to make something like rogue-like evolution, then yes, you need to learn how to code.

3xpurt

Feb 25, 2017
As a professional developer with +25y of coding experience I would say the second point is kind of moot.
To create a simple linear VN in Ren'Py such as this one, you need to learn proper indentation and about 6-8 actual code-words.

On the other hand, if you want to make something like rogue-like evolution, then yes, you need to learn how to code.
A lot of copying and pasting. Indentation, and commenting, now that's the hard part... :cry:

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
LMAO, for a simple kinetic novel maybe, but you'll need much more knowledge than that if you want something interactive and interesting! I just started a visual novel and it only has a few short scenes in it and it already uses around 20 code words, not counting what commands you can insert between the quotes and much more. My initial script.rpy file which just contains some initialization code and none of my variable definitions or main game scenes (they're in separate files) contains probably a dozen code-words alone.

This one line in my game alone has four code words in it... (five if you count the "/n"s)...
Python:
centered "{size=60}{color=#F66}*** WARNING ***\n{size=40}This game contains ADULT material!\nYou MUST be 18 years of age or older to play it."
Now go take a peek at the code in games like Being a DIK or College Kings.

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
You may of noticed (or maybe not) that I didn't include "Software Developer" (professional or otherwise) in the short "point of view" list I mentioned in my previous comment. eg. Authors and Artists.

Is it fairly trivial for someone that is already experienced in writing code to pickup a new language and/or environment?
Yes.
...or at least that's my experience as a paid software developer since 1979 has taught me.

Are most Authors and Artists also likely to be an experienced "Software Developer"?
No.
...or at least that's what a review of the design and coding practices of many of the Non-commercially released erotic projects available on this site (and others) shows. As does the related coding questions I answer (mostly) on those other sites.

And I don't consider a project as being "Commercially released" just because it has a Patreon account associated with it.

Reactions: Night Hacker

mizilic

Jan 16, 2019
This all being said about RenPy versus RPGM, when will the last version of the RPGM (Version 8.0) get a Renpy Version here? Coz for me as a non coder, playing a VN in RPGM is a big pain in the ass..I must wait till i can play it in RenPy..

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: anedwcan

3xpurt

Feb 25, 2017
No. Please read a thread before posting in it. That way, you won't be the seventeenth person to ask the same question while ignoring all of the previous answers to that very question, as you are here.
I call it digital laziness, but it could be digital entitlement. People can't be bothered searching for the answer to their question before asking it, and prefer/expect someone else to do it.

Reactions: Joe Steel

Wabbit

Jun 3, 2017
would be much easier if any mods just put the abandoned tag on all phalzyrs thread

anedwcan

Sep 25, 2017
would be much easier if any mods just put the abandoned tag on all phalzyrs thread
Please understand that while you may find it difficult to comprehend the difference between things being temporarily on hold and permanently abandoned most of the rest of us don't.
I call it digital laziness, but it could be digital entitlement. People can't be bothered searching for the answer to their question before asking it, and prefer/expect someone else to do it.
For the life of me I can't fathom how somebody in the internet age could still believe that anything more complex than immediate gratification would be welcomed.

I simply don't understand how somebody could reply "the answer is upthread" thinking this to make a difference. People will ALWAYS just keep asking, so why not just keep answering (or stay silent)...?

Reactions: Night Hacker
4.30 star(s) 11 Votes