EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
Ethan if you want to help I know a guy
id love to, but im not experienced enough regardless. theres definitely much better people out there than me. plus it takes me AGES to do pixelart otherwise i get burned out. plus i have borderline no experience in animating my pixelart

killlerfish

Feb 22, 2024
im an okay pixelartist but i have no idea how to make a game unfortunately and i doubt id be able to recreate the artstyle of pinkfuton as artstyles are very individual and unique to each person and im not skilled enough to begin replicating the artstyles of others, BUT if someone does take up continuing this game (which i really hope they do as i love pixelart based games) then id happily help in any way i can :^)
I was able to get access to the game files but as you can see on the bottom right there are still some files that are missing. game does work but it need some tweaking to get right but still im not going to do anything unless the developer say its ok as its their game and im just going to look at the scripts just for learning but if they allow for tweaking i could use some help because i dont know anything about pixel arts.

Screenshot 024439.png

Reactions: genocherv

EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
I was able to get access to the game files but as you can see on the bottom right there are still some files that are missing. game does work but it need some tweaking to get right but still im not going to do anything unless the developer say its ok as its their game and im just going to look at the scripts just for learning but if they allow for tweaking i could use some help because i dont know anything about pixel arts.

View attachment 3389205
awesome work man, at the very least you could create "mods" for the game (if youre up for the art-side of things or find someone more experienced than myself), mods have been done before and the dev has given the go-ahead previously, but i understand if you want to wait for outright permission. great job though, you think you can get the rest of those files? id love to see a post-mortem modding community for this game seeing as the dev has gone completely MIA

killlerfish

Feb 22, 2024
awesome work man, at the very least you could create "mods" for the game (if youre up for the art-side of things or find someone more experienced than myself), mods have been done before and the dev has given the go-ahead previously, but i understand if you want to wait for outright permission. great job though, you think you can get the rest of those files? id love to see a post-mortem modding community for this game seeing as the dev has gone completely MIA
Thanks, the missing files are probably not that hard to recover, I think its just one file thats missing and was added to multiple objects, and as a result, its giving multiple errors and I think I can fix it. I'll put the project file for download when the creator gives the permission or I'll just explain how to do it, as it's not that hard (I just decompiled the project and reinstalled some Unity assets) so others could mod it easier or more talented people could continue making content for it. as for myself, I just like the style and the gameplay, I'll clean up the script (because when you decompile a script, it gets harder to read) and maybe optimize some parts. in any case, I’ll keep you updated on my progerss with the game.

kortanar

May 6, 2017
Thanks, the missing files are probably not that hard to recover, I think its just one file thats missing and was added to multiple objects, and as a result, its giving multiple errors and I think I can fix it. I'll put the project file for download when the creator gives the permission or I'll just explain how to do it, as it's not that hard (I just decompiled the project and reinstalled some Unity assets) so others could mod it easier or more talented people could continue making content for it. as for myself, I just like the style and the gameplay, I'll clean up the script (because when you decompile a script, it gets harder to read) and maybe optimize some parts. in any case, I’ll keep you updated on my progerss with the game.
considering how the creator abandoned the game with no comment, i highly doubt they'll ever come back to comment here.

i'd suggest, if you still think you'd rather not do it without permission, explaining it for someone else to would be great. you'd still be able to work on it yourself if you ever change your mind, but for now, if you're unwilling, helping others would be amazing, this game is great and there are very, very few games like it.

killlerfish

Feb 22, 2024
considering how the creator abandoned the game with no comment, i highly doubt they'll ever come back to comment here.

i'd suggest, if you still think you'd rather not do it without permission, explaining it for someone else to would be great. you'd still be able to work on it yourself if you ever change your mind, but for now, if you're unwilling, helping others would be amazing, this game is great and there are very, very few games like it.
I will explain how to get the files as soon as I find all of those missing files.
The main reason im asking for the creators permission is that if they are fine with it, it would be possible to get the original project from them instead of using the decompiled version. Because the decompiled versions output won't be one to one of the original one, and as a whole, the original is easier to work with.
But as you mentioned, the creator probably isnt coming back, so I will help, but maybe later to be sure the creator is really not coming back for this game.

Reactions: kortanar

EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
yea the dev will likely remain radio silent, BUT at least giving them the chance to come back and at least give permissions (and hopefully the source files too) isnt exactly a bad idea. im sure if killlerfish uploads the decompiled version i could probably spend a while learning how to get my own assets into the game and learn animation and whatnot. would honestly be beneficial as i need to learn coding for my university course and this might be a nice easy entry point for me

killlerfish

Feb 22, 2024
Well, an update on the project. I spent all day getting those missing files and it turned out the missing files were actually important. They were all of the text on the books and anything that had text on them. The problem is in the way that the text package is imported.

I'm currently working on a new way of decompiling the project and I'll keep you updated if it works.

killlerfish

Feb 22, 2024
The new method actually worked and all of the texts are back :)
But unfortunately, few scripts are still missing and the text renders as boxes. And there's also a problem when you fail making a potion, the game gets stuck and you can't do anything. But these are mostly easy to fix, like the text and the scripts are probably for post processing, so I can add them manually again.
If everything goes right, I'll post the project files as it's really hard to get it right and it would be harder to explain than giving the project files. I'm also cleaning some files and scripts because the project is so messy and I don't know why the developer didn't do it before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, that's all I've got for now.

EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
The new method actually worked and all of the texts are back :)
But unfortunately, few scripts are still missing and the text renders as boxes. And there's also a problem when you fail making a potion, the game gets stuck and you can't do anything. But these are mostly easy to fix, like the text and the scripts are probably for post processing, so I can add them manually again.
If everything goes right, I'll post the project files as it's really hard to get it right and it would be harder to explain than giving the project files. I'm also cleaning some files and scripts because the project is so messy and I don't know why the developer didn't do it before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, that's all I've got for now.
i was about to say the text issue might be post processing and easy to add back lol. also cleaning up the dev's files and scripts after they abandon the project is the most chad move lol

killlerfish

Feb 22, 2024
i was about to say the text issue might be post processing and easy to add back lol. also cleaning up the dev's files and scripts after they abandon the project is the most chad move lol
XD yeah it's actually really fun to clean up messy scenes and scripts.
and the text problem was a different problem from this time. before, texts were actually missing, that means there were no text information but now it does show up but the font is just boxes.

EthanB86

Jun 7, 2020
XD yeah it's actually really fun to clean up messy scenes and scripts.
and the text problem was a different problem from this time. before, texts were actually missing, that means there were no text information but now it does show up but the font is just boxes.
i imagine its some proprietary front the dev either made or found online right? is it possible to simply change the font? i dont remember if the font is pixelart or not (if it isnt its probably a good idea to switch imo anyways, the default microsoft "Fixedsys" font works quite well for that). but what exactly was there to clean up, was it all just spaghetti code behind the project? lol

killlerfish

Feb 22, 2024
So I've fixed all the packages, and they're all correctly imported now, nothing is missing. and I was right about those few missing files, they were actually for post processing.
but as you can see, there are these two problems. The first one is the text issue I mentioned earlier, and the second one is new. It's related to the post processing effect on the camera. it's showing this triangle.
since I don't have experience with post processing effects, I just turned the effect off for now.
If you know someone who can help fix these two problems, that would be very nice. because there seem to be no more bugs (as far as I tested) so everything would be ready to go.

Screenshot 203716.png

killlerfish

Feb 22, 2024
i imagine its some proprietary front the dev either made or found online right? is it possible to simply change the font? i dont remember if the font is pixelart or not (if it isnt its probably a good idea to switch imo anyways, the default microsoft "Fixedsys" font works quite well for that). but what exactly was there to clean up, was it all just spaghetti code behind the project? lol
Well, the code is fine, but if you take a look at the right of the image, you'll see all the objects used in the game, and they are all over the place. It's a good practice to organize these objects by putting them into something called an "empty gameObject," which is like a folder. This way, you can easily find for example, intractable and environment objects.
as for the text, I used the default font, but it still showed the same issue. so I believe there might be something else causing the problem.

Last edited:

killlerfish

Feb 22, 2024
I fixed the texts but I haven't worked on post processing yet. But I exported a test build to find what's missing or has a problem.
I'm sharing the exported file for anyone who's interested to help. I need some feedback on what are the bugs and what's different from the original. For example, the one thing I found was that the game isn't locking in 16:9 aspect ratio or at least I wasn't able to. Here's the .

Thanks to anyone who can help.

4.60 star(s) 27 Votes