3.30 star(s) 19 Votes

TomUK

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2021
That's likely more because it's a minigame which requires "arcade reflexes", which I find don't suit the RPGM engine at all. (Case in point: the handful RPGM games with horrible real-time combat.) On top of that, as we've already discussed, the cost of failing the lock picking minigame (losing the pick worth 50 gold) is rather steep, which probably doesn't help win people over. My guess is that puzzle minigames would go over much better, but who knows.
You have the option to save the game before using a lockpick, so technically you never have to lose one, so there is no extra cost and to be honest using the lockpick (on pc) really isn't that hard.

Reactions: Jimthesim

LoedFugi

Jul 25, 2022
That’s a reported bug. You didn’t talk to Vera on the last day of the pregnancy in the basement when she asked you to. You need to reload to there and do that.
yes because it is loaded automatically again and again it should not be possible i need a ( Shannon cellar save)

Fuxxzz

Dec 26, 2018
No news on next update. About 3 months still no news. Is this NXT update coming or not
It actually has been close to 4 months since the last update. But you are wrong, the dev already said that the update is coming either the last week of August or the first of September.

Reactions: Matth1905

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
You have the option to save the game before using a lockpick, so technically you never have to lose one, so there is no extra cost and to be honest using the lockpick (on pc) really isn't that hard.
It's not that hard once you get the hang of it, but the first few times you attempt it are also where it's the costliest to fail (because you likely don't have a lot of cash saved up yet to buy replacement picks), which isn't a great combo. Moreover, it's not a good sign when the solution to a problem is "just save-scum"; that's usually indicative of some other underlying issue, such as a poorly balanced segment, etc.

Last edited:

TomUK

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2021
It's not that hard once you get the hang of it, but the first few times you attempt it are also where it's the costliest to fail (because you likely don't have a lot of cash saved up yet to buy replacement picks), which isn't a great combo. Moreover, it's not a good sign when the solution to a problem is "just save-scum"; that's usually indicative of some other underlying issue, such as a poorly balanced segment, etc.
Not really because it's basically a skill you have to learn, you got to work for some things otherwise what's the point of playing.

Reactions: Agent_paper

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
Not really because it's basically a skill you have to learn, you got to work for some things otherwise what's the point of playing.
Of course it's a skill you have to learn, but when the majority of your players feel like they have to cheat (save-scum) in this one particular area, that clearly means that something's not right. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be punished at all for failing, but maybe the cost of lock picks shouldn't be so high, or it should take three failed attempts before the pick breaks instead of just one.

Midge

Nov 21, 2019
Update is going through test phase atm so progress is being done. It will still need the journal to be updated and I’m guessing another round of testing but dev said first week September at the latest and he usually sticks to those types of deadlines unless something major happens irl.

TomUK

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2021
Of course it's a skill you have to learn, but when the majority of your players feel like they have to cheat (save-scum) in this one particular area, that clearly means that something's not right. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be punished at all for failing, but maybe the cost of lock picks shouldn't be so high, or it should take three failed attempts before the pick breaks instead of just one.
What game do you play that you don't save (if/when you can) before doing something that could cost you an inconvenience. At the price of lockpicks you should be saving before using one.

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
What game do you play that you don't save (if/when you can) before doing something that could cost you an inconvenience. At the price of lockpicks you should be saving before using one.
Skyrim. At least, I don't save before attempting to pick a lock in that game.

Again, it's not black and white: I'm not saying you should never have to save for security—saving before a boss is always good, and even games with limited save locations will give you one before a boss—, but when you have to save-scum for something as minor as picking a lock, that's a problem. Even then, there are games which are balanced around you not being able to save, such as Dark Souls, and I think those are all the better for it. In a way, saving whenever you want is a game-breaking mechanic, so I think it's the minimum a game can do to not require that you abuse that mechanic in order to get through it, and moreover I respect games which outright remove that option and instead opt to balance themselves around the restriction of having limited/no saves (balance being, as always, the key word here).

hidden1234

Jun 17, 2020
it is a skill and fun little game, I think it gets a bit repetitive. it would be good if when you lock pick into a house for the first time if you could steal their spare key so you only have to do it once per building.

Midge

Nov 21, 2019
that and its easy to fuck something up like gitas quest and it being unfuckable from it saving over the autosave
You do realise you can (and should) make normal saves when ever you want to? I personally save after entering the town and at the beginning of Vera’s pregnancy as well as rotating the save slots. NEVER rely on the auto save as it fails often.

3.30 star(s) 19 Votes