togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
I assumed EVERYONE got it!
That's an exaggeration, of course.

One of the interesting things in writing the game is when you're contemplating a pop culture reference, quoting (or misquoting) someone or something, and so on.

You find yourself wondering what proportion of people will get it and whether people who don't are going to miss out on anything important, particularly if they aren't from the UK or the US. That's another reason for the little "info" dialogs that come up now and then.

After twenty-odd years in the US, there are still things I say that friends here don't get, and things I would love to share but that would require ten minutes of exposition.

My favourite joke ever requires that someone "gets" a British northern accent. Major frustration!

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
That's an exaggeration, of course.

One of the interesting things in writing the game is when you're contemplating a pop culture reference, quoting (or misquoting) someone or something, and so on.

You find yourself wondering what proportion of people will get it and whether people who don't are going to miss out on anything important, particularly if they aren't from the UK or the US. That's another reason for the little "info" dialogs that come up now and then.

After twenty-odd years in the US, there are still things I say that friends here don't get, and things I would love to share but that would require ten minutes of exposition.

My favourite joke ever requires that someone "gets" a British northern accent. Major frustration!
you have to do like my wife does ... hit me in the fucking head to make me see it right :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: togs-games

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Togs, can't wait for the next update. I love the expanding mystery so far.

One question, will we see more of Carolyn any time soon? ;)

• Thinking Face

Challenge

Donor
Aug 1, 2018
Ater Christopher Eccleston's run as Dr Who, most people in the US are at least vaguely aware of the sound of an English Norther accent. Don't know if we'd get the joke, though. My spell checker is still freaking out over your superfluous "u"s.

• Thinking Face

togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
Don't know if we'd get the joke, though.
Let's find out...

A single mum, living paycheck-to-paycheck, wins a few hundred pounds on a scratchcard.

Times have been tough since her husband left, so she decides to take her thirteen-year-old son to Blackpool (a seaside resort) for a nice day out.

They get up early, have breakfast and call a minicab to take them to the train station.

Billy goes and explores the train and comes back all excited.

"Mam! Mam! There's a buffet car! Buy us a coke, will yer?"

(In the north of England, "us" is used to mean "me")

"But you only just 'ad yer breakfast 'alf an hour ago!"

"Oh! Go on, mam..."

"Oh, alright then."

She hands over some cash to cover the extortionate price the franchise holder is charging for a can of coke.

A short time later, they arrive in Blackpool and they're walking along the promedade. Billy spots an ice cream van.

"Mam! Mam! There's an ice cream van! Will you get us an ice cream?"

"Now look, son, you've just 'ad a coke, and breakfast not more than an hour ago..."

"Oh! Go on, mam..."

"Oh, alright then."

She pays an arm and a leg for an ice cream which Billy rapidly devours.

Before long, Billy spies a hot dog vendor.

"Mam! Mam! Will you buy us an 'ot dog?"

"Jesus Christ, Billy, you've already 'ad an ice cream, a coke, and yer breakfast..."

"Oh! Go on, mam..."

"Oh, go on then."

She buys him a hot dog and he's satisfied for a while. But then they see a stall selling candy floss.

"Mam! Mam! They 'ave candy floss."

"Now look, Billy. You've 'ad hot dog, ice cream and a coke since breakfast, you're going to spoil yer lunch."

"Oh, but I'm 'ungry, Mam!"

Needless to say, she buys him the candy floss.

Time flies, and before you know it they're at McDonalds where Billy gorges himself on two Big Macs, large fries and a McFlurry.

Soon after that they come across the donkey rides. For a ridiculous amount of money, you get a five-minute ride on some tired old donkey that'll be glue pretty soon.

"Mam! Mam! I wanna donkey ride!"

She hands over the money and Billy eagerly climbs up on the donkey's back. He's barely been on it a minute when the donkey pulls up lame.

The ride operator is not the nicest guy and tells them the donkey will be put down.

"Mam! Mam! Can we keep 'im?"

"No, Billy! We can't 'ave a donkey! Besides, you'd probably eat 'im..."

"Oh, go on Mam! I'll take care of 'im, and we can keep 'im in the shed at the bottom of the garden! Will yer buy 'im for us"

Billy's mum is too tired to argue and hands over most of her remaining cash for a geriatric donkey.

Somehow or other they get him on the train, but there's no way a minicab can accomodate a donkey, and they're forced to walk back from the station.

It's very late by the time they finally get home.

"It's been a long day, so get that donkey in the shed then get upstairs and brush yer teeth for bed."

"Okay, Mam!"

"What are yer gonna call 'im?"

Billy thinks for a moment.

"Well, he is kind of old and pathetic, isn't he? I'm gonna call 'im Wanker!"

Billy's mum is too tired to argue.

"Alreet, put 'im in the shed and get to bed."

Billy knows he's pushed his luck today and does as he's told without further argument.

Hours later, they are fast asleep when there's a thunderstorm. The lightning frightens the donkey and he crashes through the shed door and bolts.

Billy looks out his window and sees the donkey disappearing into the distance.

He rushes to his mother's bedroom.

"Mam! Mam! Wanker's off..."

(You have to say it out loud)

"Now look, son, you've 'ad ice cream..."

Last edited:

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
Hummmmm??? Had to think about it a sec, but got it :) It's almost like Ausi humor :)

togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
Hummmmm??? Had to think about it a sec, but got it :) It's almost like Ausi humor :)
Yes, I think Brits and Australians are closer in that respect than either are to Americans. I'm guessing Canadians would probably fall somewhere in between.

Challenge

Donor
Aug 1, 2018
togs-games

I had a neighbor once from GB and Eccleston reminded me of her accent, That's all I know about where she was from. But she told me this story about her trip home during a class break.
She had been in the states for about three years and had picked up a lot of American slang. She kept the younger ones entertained by explaining what some of them meant. Every one was quite entertained.

Until dinner.

There was a lot of food, apparently, and she ate more than her fill. Conversation was light and cheary, someone offered her another bite of something, and she said, "No thank you, I'm stuffed." The room went silent, except for the sniggering of young ones.

Apparently it means something else than full where she's from. Or not.

Last edited:

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
i thought it was funny as hell ... and i'm from america .... and could for the most part understand ... a little of it :ROFLMAO:

O.M.G did is mam jack him off :oops::eek:

MrD812

Oct 24, 2021
I may have been away too long - is that the girls from the Philadelphia ads?
No No and i may add, closer to Philadelphia Experiment within a Multiverse perspective per se'.
Rest assured, minus people becoming infused within the walls unless late-Uncle's AI is considered one of 'conscious'.
Or, if LOL *cough* Lois Olivia Lane is hasving a REALLY bad hair day.

3.80 star(s) 76 Votes