VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Secret Family [v0.2.0] [Diamond Novels]

3.70 star(s) 15 Votes

Dolphin3000

May 9, 2017
... Also there's points where it feels there should be a choice given, and there isn't. Like a potential scene is setup, but is glossed over.
I've seen events like these in V0.2 when my game was not patched, for instance, when the MC goes to his daughter's bedroom to call the girls. If the game is not patched, there is only the option to knock on the door. If the game is patched, players can choose between - 'Enter without knocking' and - 'Knock on the door'.

Nightphysics

Jun 11, 2018
Maybe less google translate would be nice. I know in spanish you use tio for uncle and as a general word for men (like dude in english) but how do you not know the difference and keep it straight?

renice

Jun 30, 2017
Thread should be locked and downloads removed until the spyware is removed and the author explains themselves.
At least a big warning of undisclosed systems access should be places in the OP.
I have no idea what the author was thinking when they added the discord script (and more, there's loads of stuff in there).

Sturbuck

Feb 1, 2019
Thread should be locked and downloads removed until the spyware is removed and the author explains themselves.
At least a big warning of undisclosed systems access should be places in the OP.
I have no idea what the author was thinking when they added the discord script (and more, there's loads of stuff in there).
This is a serious accusation if thats true the Dev has to make an explanation right away otherwise the thread and the Dev should be banned for an indefinite period of time.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Here's a screenshot from Notepad++ showing the locations/file names for the search phrase "discord". Commenting those lines out (using # or ##) should solve the problem. Although I do understand the concern. That is a rather shady thing to do.

Last edited:

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
Here's a screenshot from Notepad++ showing the locations/file names for the search phrase "discord". Commenting those lines out (using # or ##) should solve the problem. Although I do understand the concern. That is a rather shady thing to do.
29 and 30 are also important. There's a few lines that don't explicitly say discord but use the library, but in saying that, if you comment out the import they're not going to function. They may throw errors that stop things working though.

Hellkinglucifer

Apr 29, 2020
Pretty sure that thing is illegal and worthy of a report on patreaon and ss.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
29 and 30 are also important. There's a few lines that don't explicitly say discord but use the library, but in saying that, if you comment out the import they're not going to function. They may throw errors that stop things working though.
True. It would take some testing, but it should be relatively simple.

Pretty sure that thing is illegal and worthy of a report on patreaon and ss.
I did discover something interesting in an experiment I just completed. The file mentioned in the screenshot I pasted, line 27 specifically.. "discord_rpc" exists in the player's Discord folder if you have Discord installed (which I do because of the work I do for another developer). So that file can be ignored.

However, if the game is currently running...
D:>dir /s /p discord_rpc
Volume in drive D is Sycho
Volume Serial Number is 12A0-0247

Directory of D:\TheSecret-0.2-pc\game\python-packages

05/15/2021 02:26 PM <DIR> discord_rpc
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Once you've quit the game though, that file no longer exists.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzBa

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
It's not illegal, I'm not even sure it's a violation of ToS of either of those platforms. It is gross though and should be removed.
Well, you have adult games sold on steam that does the same. So dunno why it should be illegal. If you don't want to let people know what you play, just turn that option off in discord.

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
Well, you have adult games sold on steam that does the same. So dunno why it should be illegal. If you don't want to let people know what you play, just turn that option off in discord.
Right, I didn't argue that it should be illegal. The issue here is no one really expects this behavior and I would think that the developer of the game probably knows that. People don't download Ren'Py games from this site expecting all their Discord buddies will see them playing them.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Right, I didn't argue that it should be illegal. The issue here is no one really expects this behavior and I would think that the developer of the game probably knows that. People don't download Ren'Py games from this site expecting all their Discord buddies will see them playing them.
I don't care really if someone see what I play or not. If people feel the need to hide in the closet being shameful etc. Just turn off the option in discord. Just see it as a way for creators to advertise their creation really.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Its scummy. People should have a choice, not be forced into it.
Oh dear. I don't want to have people see I play Honnie pup on steam while on discord... Sooo scummy steam forced me... oh wait.. turn it off in the settings... Any steam game you play does the same... you got the choice.

• Angry
Reactions: Naxos

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
Oh dear. I don't want to have people see I play Honnie pup on steam while on discord... Sooo scummy steam forced me... oh wait.. turn it off in the settings... Any steam game you play does the same... you got the choice.
It's one thing having discord auto-detect it. It's another thing sending information to discord to advertise the game's subscribestar. Without telling people

Nightless

Jan 13, 2018
Proofreading would be nice REAL nice ;D Other than that nice models but storywise not much at the moment.

3.70 star(s) 15 Votes