4.30 star(s) 64 Votes

OnlyWorthyDevsMakeMoney

Oct 31, 2021
Oh boy, if you're near the start (first few chapters) and think MC is too much of a clown, I'm giving you serious PSA: Stop now.
Previous 2 chapters (bit less in last one) MC is all-around clown. Comedy was dialed to 11.

Quite frankly, while I do find story enjoyable, I can't take any of it seriously. As in, anything whatsoever. There was "big reveal" at the end of previous chapter/start of this one, and all I could think of was "yeah, yeah, how long before they start shagging?".
Even when game tries to build suspense, I feel none because there is no lead to suspense.

And considering MCs development, I have no idea how in blue hells he will fight main bad guy in next 10 years. With farts and burps?
I've already canceled the game.
In my opinion, too much comedy means only one thing: the dev doesn't know how to make a good story.

Pgsurprise

Nov 27, 2022
In my opinion, too much comedy means only one thing: the dev doesn't know how to make a good story.
I think this is unfair. Many of the devs are amateur writers, and many of the games show it in any genre. And, certainly, they will not all line up with everyone's taste. But, there are some games that have both a good story and comedy. Even if you don't like the story or the humor, like Leap of Faith for me, games can objectively be written with humor and a well written story.

I've been reading these comments about the comedy and find too many people trying to use their personal preference to make "rules" for it. There are plenty of people that make jokes to diffuse drama and tension. There are people that use sarcasm to show love and bond with people. But, there are people that will also find those inoppropriate and mean.

So, some don't find this game funny. Some think jokes don't fit in this style of story. That doesn't mean that people who do are wrong. Nor does it mean it can't be part of a well written story. It's just not to everyone's liking, which is also perfectly fine.

MiltonPowers

Twins Basil! Twins!
Donor
Jul 26, 2023
I think this is unfair. Many of the devs are amateur writers, and many of the games show it in any genre. And, certainly, they will not all line up with everyone's taste. But, there are some games that have both a good story and comedy. Even if you don't like the story or the humor, like Leap of Faith for me, games can objectively be written with humor and a well written story.

I've been reading these comments about the comedy and find too many people trying to use their personal preference to make "rules" for it. There are plenty of people that make jokes to diffuse drama and tension. There are people that use sarcasm to show love and bond with people. But, there are people that will also find those inoppropriate and mean.

So, some don't find this game funny. Some think jokes don't fit in this style of story. That doesn't mean that people who do are wrong. Nor does it mean it can't be part of a well written story. It's just not to everyone's liking, which is also perfectly fine.
I don't mind humor and everyone finds different things funny or cringe. For me, it's the MC is so juvenile and I constantly find myself yelling at him to grow up, he's got to save the world or everyone's screwed. But I do enjoy the game, not complaining, it's just something I find frustrating.

OnlyWorthyDevsMakeMoney

Oct 31, 2021

I get what you mean, but, in this specific AVN, for example, the general line is that the MC is the Swordbearer, he is supposed to save the world from demise, and while some jokes every once in a while might be good to "lessen the burden on his shoulders", in the end if the MC is a full clown every minute, I wouldn't trust him with my dog, let alone the fate of the world.
To make a comparison, Eminence in the Shadow is the same, a stunning anime with a very intrigueing story, ruined by the fact that Cid is batshit creazy and thinks that even the enemies are roleplaying with him.

Pgsurprise

Nov 27, 2022
I don't mind humor and everyone finds different things funny or cringe. For me, it's the MC is so juvenile and I constantly find myself yelling at him to grow up, he's got to save the world or everyone's screwed. But I do enjoy the game, not complaining, it's just something I find frustrating.
Yeah, I have similar issues. Honestly, I rarely even look at new games with the big dick baby boy characters anymore. I've got lots of others to choose from. But, magic, and a few other tags, can still get me to take a look sometimes.

Simpgor

Apr 18, 2020
My two cents: I don't know how my "reading ability" compares to others but from the ending of the last update to the resolution of the Cliffhanger the thoughts going through my head were "when is she just gonna kiss him so we can move on" not "oh shit" or "HER,!?!".....

It's already an issue when you understand the "meta" of AVN (in this case she has points as an LI so obviously she wasn't going to straight up betray MC without player choice) even moreso on this specific case because even after the Vampires showed up it's still 95% comedy 4% sex scenes 1% dramatic cliffhanger that will be resolved by 1/4th of the following update..... it doesn't even make (financial) sense to change now would the patrons want that? Despite paying for multiple updates that went the complete opposite way?

If this was another incestharem game that would be all well and good, but like many others have pointed out MC is supposed to be the chosen one, who has trained with multiple "legendary masters" and is still getting absolutely 100% utterly slapped around like a child while fighting someone who in story isn't even a full power vampire then instead of buckling the fuck down because he just objectively lost to a vampire he does hehe funny poses with his childhood friend/fuck buddy :HideThePain:

Harem4life

Jul 21, 2023
still getting absolutely 100% utterly slapped around like a child while fighting someone who in story isn't even a full power vampire
Yeah even I was pissed off by it. I wasn't expecting MC to win but I was expecting him to put up a fight but that half vampire made MC her bitch.

MC couldn't do shit even when he had his special sword.

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
I get what you mean, but, in this specific AVN, for example, the general line is that the MC is the Swordbearer, he is supposed to save the world from demise, and while some jokes every once in a while might be good to "lessen the burden on his shoulders", in the end if the MC is a full clown every minute, I wouldn't trust him with my dog, let alone the fate of the world.
To make a comparison, Eminence in the Shadow is the same, a stunning anime with a very intrigueing story, ruined by the fact that Cid is batshit creazy and thinks that even the enemies are roleplaying with him.
I think it comes down to how serious you take a story. I saw the comedy right away and was laughing my ass off so the comedy taking away from what should be a serious MC with the premise of the story didn't bother me since I never took it serious to begin with even during serious scenes. But yeah if you take this story seriously then the comedy doesn't fit all that much and makes you wonder how these goofballs are gonna get anything done.

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
Yeah even I was pissed off by it. I wasn't expecting MC to win but I was expecting him to put up a fight but that half vampire made MC her bitch.

MC couldn't do shit even when he had his special sword.
Of course you go to a Gym train a bit do a bit of MMA training you go to the championship and beat the hell out of the other contenders suuuuuuuureeeeee ! u da man ! :rolleyes:

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
Of course you go to a Gym train a bit do a bit of MMA training you go to the championship and beat the hell out of the other contenders suuuuuuuureeeeee ! u da man ! :rolleyes:
I think what mr. Monogamy4life wanted to say is some of us expected more from MC after all this time.
But in his current state he would easily be dispatched by even lowly mooks.

Considering he also keeps acting like a clown at every occasion, how is he expected to fight the big bad when the time comes?

He's not taking training seriously (though that's VN overall tone) and he's not good in a fight. Sure, he beat roadside robber, big freacking deal. When it comes to fighting vampires, he's dead if ever attacked. Something really should change.

Beefle

Nov 22, 2023
in the end if the MC is a full clown every minute, I wouldn't trust him with my dog, let alone the fate of the world.
This is pretty much how I feel. A few jokes here and there are fine, but the MC is just a total clown. I assume most people want to imagine themselves in the MC's shoes, but in this one MC is just so damn cringey. Also, why does almost every dev insist on giving the protagonist of a medieval fantasy game a modern metrosexual hairdo. That's another thing that kills the immersion. I'd bet anything most dudes don't want to play as a cute little hairless twink. What happened to masculinity?

• Haha
Reactions: kMimster

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
What happened to masculinity?
Society realized it was significantly more nuanced than just buff and hairy... Your views on masculinity are old and outdated and even with that the MC of this game is still strong and a protector, both traditionally masculine traits... Maybe stop worrying about what the pov character looks like in an avn when they're basically just a walking dildo that progresses the plot, and worry about why the looks of the man matter so much to you... Maybe you're playing the wrong kind of games.

OnlyWorthyDevsMakeMoney

Oct 31, 2021
What I mean is, you are a clown at the beginning, ok, you had a carefree life so far so it's ok. But after you learn that there are vampires out there, the world is about to end and you are the only hope for mankind: man up and train like there is no tomorrow and become a serious badass!

Skep-tiker

Oct 11, 2023
You could also have a humorous story with a somewhat competent MC... if you look for example at a certain space opera from a citrus dev...

Reactions: nitkonikic

Beefle

Nov 22, 2023
Society realized it was significantly more nuanced than just buff and hairy... Your views on masculinity are old and outdated and even with that the MC of this game is still strong and a protector, both traditionally masculine traits... Maybe stop worrying about what the pov character looks like in an avn when they're basically just a walking dildo that progresses the plot, and worry about why the looks of the man matter so much to you... Maybe you're playing the wrong kind of games.
I had a feeling I'd trigger someone with that post, but just because we're currently experiencing a culturally degenerative era in the West doesn't mean my views on masculinity are any less valid. As for me worrying about why a man's looks matter to me, well, that's not necessary, because I already know why it matters to me, and I already told you in the first post. It's in the fucking medieval era and he's got a goofy ass modern haircut which I'm sure requires a lot of product to maintain lol. It's immersion breaking. Why not have the MC break out an Iphone and start playing some rap music? Also, don't pretend like you don't give a shit what the MC looks like in games. If the MC was 5'4", obese and elderly, you wouldn't be playing. Everyone cares what the MC looks like and a lot of us don't want to play as a little soy boy. Sorry if that offends you.

Reactions: Harem4life
4.30 star(s) 64 Votes