Anon4321

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 24, 2017
Quick bit of tech advice for you guys, if your PC/Laptop is more than 2-3 years old, it's time to reapply/replace the CPU thermal paste otherwise, you'll have serious CPU heating.

Because as I recently found, my CPU was cooking at 100c or 212f and after replacing it, it went down to 50-60c or 122-140f

Believe me when I tell you, my old thermal paste, was like powder, the cooler just came right of, no resistance

fartacus

Feb 9, 2018
Oh dear god.

Of course it comes right off, it's thermal paste, not glue. It also doesn't need to stay paste, even if it dries out the stuff that's in there will conduct heat just fine. In my 20 years of building computers for myself and others have I ever heard something that dumb, it's never down to thermal paste, heat transfer almost always boils down to bad case design, not taking advantage of the fans that are there or obstructing air flow, usually from dust that accumulates in fans and/or filters, or massive overclocking. Generally speaking the thermal paste that comes with your cooler is fine, you don't even have to buy the super expensive ones. Yes, there is slightly fancier thermal paste that will have a bit of an advantage but don't tear apart your PC or especially laptop to change it out, it will do nothing and just be a pain in the ass. Clear your dust filters and fans every once in a while though.

Anon4321

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 24, 2017
Oh dear god.

Of course it comes right off, it's thermal paste, not glue. It also doesn't need to stay paste, even if it dries out the stuff that's in there will conduct heat just fine. In my 20 years of building computers for myself and others have I ever heard something that dumb, it's never down to thermal paste, heat transfer almost always boils down to bad case design, not taking advantage of the fans that are there or obstructing air flow, usually from dust that accumulates in fans and/or filters, or massive overclocking. Generally speaking the thermal paste that comes with your cooler is fine, you don't even have to buy the super expensive ones. Yes, there is slightly fancier thermal paste that will have a bit of an advantage but don't tear apart your PC or especially laptop to change it out, it will do nothing and just be a pain in the ass. Clear your dust filters and fans every once in a while though.
Let me first say, the way you said this was uncalled for, there was no need to say what I said was dumb.

I myself have been building my own PC for years, so I know a thing or two, like clearing filters, clearing the radiators, which I also did. and there was no improvement, at least not one I was happy with.

It was not until I replaced the thermal paste, which by the way only cost me $5, that I got the result I was looking for.

So, I'm sorry to say, but from this experience, I see no benefit in leaving the thermal paste in that state. and big advantages in reapplying every 2-3 years, unless your upgrading your CPU and cooler.
Because I do agree that the compound that come with coolers, is more than adequate for the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snugglepuff

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
It also doesn't need to stay paste, even if it dries out the stuff that's in there will conduct heat just fine.
Depends on what you're using the PC for, but if it gets to the point of being powder as Anon4321 says, it might just be time to clean off & reapply.

In my 20 years of building computers for myself and others have I ever heard something that dumb
Really?
I've heard dumber... Like someone who put the mouse & keyboard in the wrong ports (PS/2 ports), which prevented the machine from starting at all.

it's never down to thermal paste
Except when it is, i.e. Too much/too little has been applied or the spread is too uneven, or when it's literally gotten too old. There's a reason thermal paste has a lifespan of 3-5 years.

heat transfer almost always boils down to bad case design
Except when it doesn't.

Generally speaking the thermal paste that comes with your cooler is fine, you don't even have to buy the super expensive ones.
20 years of PC building hasn't stopped you from seeing something that wasn't written. Instead it's taught you that you're right, and nobody else can be... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Anon4321

Archaon11111

Engaged Member
Aug 14, 2020
Quick bit of tech advice for you guys, if your PC/Laptop is more than 2-3 years old, it's time to reapply/replace the CPU thermal paste otherwise, you'll have serious CPU heating.

Because as I recently found, my CPU was cooking at 100c or 212f and after replacing it, it went down to 50-60c or 122-140f

Believe me when I tell you, my old thermal paste, was like powder, the cooler just came right of, no resistance
What the hell kind of adult game will fuck your computer up like that. Is this game really that demanding when all there is to it is 3D models humping each other.

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
What the hell kind of adult game will fuck your computer up like that. Is this game really that demanding when all there is to it is 3D models humping each other.
That's less to do with this game, and more a general advisory thing. That said, previous versions did have some issues on some people's machines, whereby their CPU was going 100% when running it.

sskcod

Aug 6, 2017
It's all in the optimization. It's like saying a 500 rooms hotel can host a 50 people group. Well, not if it's not optimized. If you give each person 12 rooms, you won't have enough for 50 people.

I use a gaming PC even for work. I just don't care. The lowest card I own is a 1060 6GB. So, I have no issues with the game when I try a new update.

I find weaker computers as "Will be obsolete tomorrow" hardware. I just can't spend a penny on non gaming computers.

Archaon11111

Engaged Member
Aug 14, 2020
It's all in the optimization. It's like saying a 500 rooms hotel can host a 50 people group. Well, not if it's not optimized. If you give each person 12 rooms, you won't have enough for 50 people.

I use a gaming PC even for work. I just don't care. The lowest card I own is a 1060 6GB. So, I have no issues with the game when I try a new update.

I find weaker computers as "Will be obsolete tomorrow" hardware. I just can't spend a penny on non gaming computers.
I find that problem can be said to a lot of patreon devs that use unity/unreal engine. Can run Skyrim with 100+ loverslab mods but one patreon unity game with anything other than still images will turn the room into an oven.

Deleted member 1053739

Donor
Dec 1, 2018
:ROFLMAO: Well jason has Fucked everything else that moves in this game so why not your computer :ROFLMAO:
This one is very good one sir. Made my day, thanks . Even my rtx 2070 gets hot in this game but I can prevent that by lowering to 30 fps. With 30 fps the temp is not increasing and its like not playing any game, the fans stays off. Iddle temps in 30fps, you should all try this who has the temp problem, is not like u need more than 30fps in this game.

3.40 star(s) 160 Votes