Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Time For Dragons - Defiler Wings: Deranged Dragon Mod [29-07-2020] [Jman]

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes

LewdGanglia

Dec 13, 2020
Was easy still too hard?
It's been a while, 8 months maybe, so I can't say for sure but I recall failing in way too many of the starter area stuff and was wondering what I was doing wrong, came here to check for guidance and saw that savescumming is expected for normal and up and went "Oh I will just wait and hope this improves"

If you want to help me with that, I just completed a 'special start' feature. You can begin as a slightly more advanced dragon in one of the mid-early game lairs

There's room for maybe one more, and I'd welcome feedback on what other body parts or perks to give these dragons.
At the moment I am a bit busy with IRL stuff but I will give it a try and hope I can help, although it may take a while depending on how things pan out for me. Will brush the game up and see how I remember it playing out to try to think of good additions.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I recall failing in way too many of the starter area stuff
It would be really helpful if you could articulate what exactly you were failing at, that seemed solvable only by savescumming.

I also don't know what part of the game is the 'starter area'. The Countryside? The Forest? The Sea? Sky and Mountains are clearly somewhat harder to access.

"Oh I will just wait and hope this improves"
Having and using regular saves is never going away from normal, and savescumming from hard and above. But I played normal for a while a few weeks ago, and if you know what you're doing, you should be able to play without savescumming. It won't be pretty, you'll have to take some shots on the chin, but it seems entirely doable.

There will be two easier difficulties and some cheat options for people who can't handle the hardcore stuff. :D

it may take a while
That's fine.

Nov 9, 2017
When I try to run this on a Mac one Catalina (no Wine) via the Renpy SDK I get this:

While running game code:
File "game/redistributable/common.rpy", line 21, in script
init -10 python:
File "game/redistributable/common.rpy", line 21, in script
init -10 python:
File "game/redistributable/common.rpy", line 25, in <module>
import os,pygame,math,sys,random,bisect,yaml,time
ImportError: No module named yaml

Same error occurs in the original version of the game.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
When I try to run this on a Mac one Catalina (no Wine) via the Renpy SDK I get this:

ImportError: No module named yaml
The SDK won't work out of the box. There are a few extra libraries needed, including YAML. Add these to your SDK, or just copy them over from the game's 'lib\python2.7' directory.

I recently updated to 7.4.6, but Ren'Py is going to run away from me again sooner or later.

Nov 9, 2017
The SDK won't work out of the box. There are a few extra libraries needed, including YAML. Add these to your SDK, or just copy them over from the game's 'lib\python2.7' directory.

I recently updated to 7.4.6, but Ren'Py is going to run away from me again sooner or later.
That did it. That is really annoying. You would think the program would be smart enough to go "oh the files I need are in this folder with the other stuff" or "oh I need to download this for this work" Hypercard from 1986 had enough sense to that.

Aug 13, 2017
Very interesting mod. Is it possible to improve the randomness on the hunt? The small dragon is constantly trying to catch wild boars and deer

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Is it possible to improve the randomness on the hunt? The small dragon is constantly trying to catch wild boars and deer
Everything is possible. I see no good reason to do so, however. The randomness is a core part of gameplay. What you're supposed to do is turn down the encounters until you get one you like. Rage management and the 0.1 Stamina cost are there to make sure you don't abuse this. If you absolutely can't stand that, save scum or mod the mod. :p

The go-to method of managing Rage is to run the hunts until Furious, and cool down with either a village raid or abusing your captives.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Is the poison dragon still op or did you balance it out
What poison dragon? The advanced starting options aren't released yet, and poison resistance is pretty common.

Edit: If something is OP, it's the fire breath spell. I'm changing it so it only converts all damage into fire, but only multiplies the result if the Dragon has some Red heads. The more of these he's got, the bigger the multiplier.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
creangel: Aww, and I almost liked that post. :D

t seems that after visiting the thief, I still have items and when I try to sell them, I get an error
You seem to be missing HF3. Install that, and perform at least the affection mini-fix as well.

A warning: I don't play in Russian, so the Russian version of the mod has both poorer content and can outright have extra bugs. Ditto for the 'new' map (lists instead of labels all over the map).

For someone over a year into the game, you have very little infrastructure, money and minions. I don't know if it's the knight and the thief harassing you that's the cause of this. You should never have infamy that high while you're still small (or even medium), because among other things it'll get knights to spawn and makes all battles more difficult.

Also, fear is not very viable early on, if that's your goal with the Shadow head + Stinger. I have some plans to change that, but nothing concrete yet.

Finally, why are there some Gremlins lazing about? These little fuckers are pretty useless until you get a Workshop.

Nov 9, 2017
Your reputation should effect villages differently. After you trash a couple of villages reducing them to burnt offerings after they refuse tribute the rest of them should get the hint.

One thing I would like to see but have no idea on how to include it is you being able to to set up a "baronet" with a human collaborator as your human "face". You keep the village "safe" and they pay tribute in virgins and/or food. Basically the dragon equivalent of 'Nice village you have there. Shame if something were to happen to it.'

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Your reputation should effect villages differently. After you trash a couple of villages reducing them to burnt offerings after they refuse tribute the rest of them should get the hint.
It works like that already. Kingdom Fear >= 2*village size (so 2-10) will make them pay tribute or not fight back during robberies. Plus you get some infamy that also raises Kingdom Fear. Scourge of the Plains ought to make you gain enough that if you kill all the mobilization, only towns will continue to resist.

But all of them falling in line fast would make for poor gameplay and break the fluff a little. Medieval communication - especially for peasants or serfs - was positively glacial, and rather unreliable as well.

One thing I would like to see but have no idea on how to include it is you being able to to set up a "baronet" with a human collaborator as your human "face".
Has been proposed and rejected several times due to centering the game on minions (or delegated minions). I'm not 100% opposed to that, but it is way too much work to redesign and rewrite the game to shift the focus from the Dragon to minion management and politicking.

So DDM is a game where you play a supreme predator (with some cannon fodder on the side) and not a political manipulator. It's something more unique than the latter as well, IMO. Scheming is common enough in games and fiction. Naked, unapologetic and reasoned malice is not, or at least not without hinting at some form of mental illness or social maladjustment. The Dragon is a loner and does not care about mortal mores, he goes around doing whatever fuck he wants. :p

If someone wants to make a sub-mod for that, be my guest. I'll even give you advice and pointers, if you want. But the last attempt to give minions some agency got stalled and is pretty much in indefinite limbo right now.

Basically the dragon equivalent of 'Nice village you have there. Shame if something were to happen to it.'
The dragon way of doing that is to show up at the edge of the village and say the above in person.

Remember, the Dragon is an alien creature. He does not think like mortals do. He enjoys the personal touch, the thrill of the hunt and the pleasure of subjugation. The Dark Lady is the big brains of the operation, and she already lost once. So she keeps releasing hatchlings for now, and sees whether any of them might work out. She really doesn't want to get so involved in the politics that the King decides enough is enough and invades Dragonia before she's ready.

DDM is also a game about dragon tropes, and the archetypal dragon does not let henchmen collect the virgins, sheep, cattle or other tribute. He flies out and does the collecting himself. The game just adds some stat checks to the process.

Finally, the premise of the game is that the Dragon is not yet powerful enough to openly defy the whole Kingdom or significant parts of it. Hence moving lairs, knights and thieves searching for them, using wild tribes as proxies instead of human collaborators. The only humans who do the Dragon's bidding directly are the smugglers&co, and they have plenty of deniability and virtually nothing to gain from fucking with the Dragon.

Last edited:

Aug 13, 2017
You seem to be missing HF3. Install that, and perform at least the affection mini-fix as well.

A warning: I don't play in Russian, so the Russian version of the mod has both poorer content and can outright have extra bugs. Ditto for the 'new' map (lists instead of labels all over the map).

For someone over a year into the game, you have very little infrastructure, money and minions. I don't know if it's the knight and the thief harassing you that's the cause of this. You should never have infamy that high while you're still small (or even medium), because among other things it'll get knights to spawn and makes all battles more difficult.

Also, fear is not very viable early on, if that's your goal with the Shadow head + Stinger. I have some plans to change that, but nothing concrete yet.

Finally, why are there some Gremlins lazing about? These little fuckers are pretty useless until you get a Workshop.
All patches from the topic header are. I have just discovered this mod for myself and am learning to play in it.
There were no thieves or knights in this first game of mine until 60 infamy.
And in the second attempt to play, both the thief and the knight appeared on 10 infamy.

Why is the wounded dragon blocked some of the interactions? (for example, you can't steal one sheep from the flock , you cannot eat a girl with mushrooms or the one that grazes a goose), although a healthy dragon has such an option.
Does the wounded dragon lose his appetite?

And how to open the deal with the witch / smugglers, if the dragon is still without magic?
And thieves and knights are already walking on your carcass

Last edited:
3.50 star(s) 8 Votes