Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Time For Dragons - Defiler Wings: Deranged Dragon Mod [29-07-2020] [Jman]

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Would it be possible to know exactly which minions count and which don't?
Sure.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Moreover, in the help RBM it says that the "minion" text will turn purple when they are getting unruly but I never saw that. Is it the text over the list in the "info" tab?
The help info is largely up to date with the WIP version, while the mod itself obviously isn't. So there are a number of entries that are essentially advertising. This is one of them. The text that would be changing colour is the one that says 'Minions' in the main lair screen.

Also, is there a way to know when a girl will die from egg-laying?
Not really. It's random, and can be save-scummed if you wish. Every kind of maiden has their own chance of dying (from 0% for demonettes and Homunculi, 1% for ogre mates and all the way up to 50% for frail nobles). which scales up with successive pregnancies. The in-game remedy is to either use milking farms and breeding pits, or just go and catch some replacements. Their eggs are best when they're still fresh, you know. :sneaky:

I'd like to minimize the deaths because it increment the shame score. and I'm a sucker for scores in those kinda games.
Then get some breeding pits. The forest temple is probably the earliest you can find one of these. But the shame score is there to entice you into playing very suboptimally. I'd personally ignore it on my first playthrough.

Reactions: mordet

mordet

Apr 21, 2020
Then get some breeding pits.
Oh, so that's what "childbirth will always be successful" means! I avoided to put them in there because I thought it would maim them! this should be clearer, I think.

Thanks, buddy, great mod!

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I avoided to put them in there because I thought it would maim them!
Note that a) the maiming is not permanent, since you can let them become minions and drain other captives, and b) you only need to have them in there during the day they give birth, so the damage can be relatively minimal.

this should be clearer, I think.
I rewrote room descriptions a bit sometime. The current text is "Childbirth is always safe."

mordet

Apr 21, 2020
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I couldn't find it throughout the thread, but is there any advantage to having high infamy and, by extension, mobilization?

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
The two are not always the same. Infamy also converts into fear when you either cull the patrols or raise poverty.

High mobilization gives you harder battles and thus more XP and battle satiety. Also, you can capture angels from certain high-tier patrols.

Infamy... Higher-tier knights and thieves, I guess. You can capture some of those. Reputation also gates the more advanced quests and thus lair buildings through the Scourge of the Plains and Ravager quests. And there's the de'Ad storyline gated behind an infamy threshold.

Not sure that's everything, but can't recall anything else at the moment.

mordet

Apr 21, 2020
Thanks for the info, relatedly, is it normal to keep infamy low whenever you can?
I'm nearly 8 years in and my highest it's ever been is something like 51. and since I usually hover around 20 to 30 I can keep poverty around those lines and and mobilization nil. well, now I'm huge so there's a chance of mobilizing anyways, but that's nothing a quick visit to the alven forest or 2g at the smuggler's can't fix. It's kept the fights relatively easy.

So I was asking because I'm feeling pretty cold about the idea of intentionally raising my infamy to 250 and then I'll have to hover around 70 to 80.

Guess I'll have to dragon up and take the dive.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
When you're just starting out or playing one of the higher difficulties, keeping infamy down is vital. But once you're past a certain point in a normal-ish game, it's no longer that important. And you're missing out on the advanced buildings that come from doing quests. Easy fights are not always a boon, either.

A downside of keeping mobilization at 0 is that then your infamy goes to fear, which is debatably worse. But that only matters when your infamy isn't nonexistent.

In fact, I think a big bad dragon shouldn't really care about keeping infamy down. I don't know how hardcore yours is, though.

mordet

Apr 21, 2020
yeah, I'm now working through the 250 infamy quest, and mobilization is starting to rise. at that point is there a reason to keep poverty high? I don't see any reason since mobilization is fine.
here's my dragon, I'd say he's getting pretty good. The real slowing factor is virility now.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Well, I think once you start raiding towns in earnest, it's hard to not raise poverty. At some point, it's probably more effort to keep poverty down.

You might also want to see any 'poverty' encounters you haven't seen yet. And poverty allows you to skip manually lowering mobilization all the time. But, yeah, in general the dragon wants his snacks to be fat and happy. :sneaky:

Your dragon is looking good. Maybe not quite 'solos angels' good, but pretty okay. Of course, it all depends on what kind of minions you use, too.

Virility looks fine as well. 18 should get you anything that isn't a high-end demon or angel spawn. Maybe you meant lust?

Last edited:

mordet

Apr 21, 2020
Well, I think once you start raiding towns in earnest, it's hard to not raise poverty. At some point, it's probably more effort to keep poverty down.

[...]

Virility looks fine as well. 18 should get you anything that isn't a high-end demon or angel spawn. Maybe you meant lust?
Well, to get a lot of food fast, I just raid the capital's gates and that doesn't raise poverty too much and since right now it's pretty low, and even if it goes to the 30s, sleeping 40 days in a row will keep that down.

Talking of which, I've been raiding the capital and yes he's been soloing the angel in the cathedral while my minions take, with the help of the 10g health ritual and some lizardman boar meat, however, sometimes the archwizard is showing up, and the only element he's not immune to is sound. How does the heads elemental attack percentage work? Is it, say with a steel head, 35% to the damage is sound, or is it that 35% of the time 100% of the damage will be sound?

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Well, to get a lot of food fast, I just raid the capital's gates and that doesn't raise poverty too much
Isn't raiding just the gates about 150 satiety for 5 poverty? A town is comparable, and also gives loot and possibly maidens. If you go on and raid the market as well, then it's ~160-180 satiety, 5 poverty and a girl, or ~200-250 satiety and 8 poverty. Market is ~200, 8 poverty and loot, ~250+ and 6 poverty, or ~200, 5 poverty and a girl. I don't think any of this is all that much better than just kicking over another town, poverty-wise.

Now, currently you can repeatedly raid the city without too much trouble. But I'm aware of the problem and the dude with the gnarly staff will be punishing such sneakiness in the future. There will also be other, better food sources, like eating whole herds or village livestock, another wildling village, storing 'big fish' and hunting whales. Well, whales aren't in yet.

...sleeping 40 days in a row will keep that down.
That means you can't really raid all that much in succession. 3-4 raids will put you into the thirties, even if big A and heightened alert level didn't mess things up.

Talking of which, I've been raiding the capital and yes he's been soloing the angel in the cathedral
Really? The one with templar support and lots of hangers-on? I just tried with a similar dragon, and it was no contest in the Angel's favour, even with a ritual and boar meat. Although I've disabled parrying for larger dragons, enemies have additional partial resistances now, and I didn't really capitalise on the Angel's weaknesses.

How does the heads elemental attack percentage work?
It's a straight multiplier to damage. Look one page back, WanderingRenegade had it mostly right.

mordet

Apr 21, 2020
Isn't raiding just the gates about 150 satiety for 5 poverty? A town is comparable, and also gives loot and possibly maidens. If you go on and raid the market as well, then it's ~160-180 satiety, 5 poverty and a girl, or ~200-250 satiety and 8 poverty. Market is ~200, 8 poverty and loot, ~250+ and 6 poverty, or ~200, 5 poverty and a girl. I don't think any of this is all that much better than just kicking over another town, poverty-wise.
Well, I usually go to the rich quarter and that gets me ~375 sat for 6 devastation the first time and the subsequent times, since there are catapults, it's ~425 sat for 6 devastation. So yeah the additional guards really are worth the time. All this for 2 stamina, which is really good. To be fair the dragon does take quite the beating and so that does cost a bunch of gold to either get healed or sat to heal naturally.

It's a straight multiplier to damage. Look one page back, WanderingRenegade had it mostly right.
Oops sorry about making you repeat yourself.
Thanks, the ATKM roll for every element is unintuitive, but I get it now.

Really? The one with templar support and lots of hangers-on? I just tried with a similar dragon, and it was no contest in the Angel's favour, even with a ritual and boar meat. Although I've disabled parrying for larger dragons, enemies have additional partial resistances now, and I didn't really capitalise on the Angel's weaknesses.
No, I meant, he's able to take out the angel by himself while his minions take care of the opposing party's minions.
It wasn't a 1v5.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Thanks, the ATKM roll for every element is unintuitive, but I get it now.
I think I made it like that because ATKM gets scaled with secondary elements, damage modifiers and other such things. Maybe the whole mechanic was integer-based at that particular moment as well. Anyway, it kinda works, and there's some mild realism in there, too. What if the dragon had a cough while breathing acid, but managed to claw his opponent in the eye, etc.

No, I meant, he's able to take out the angel by himself while his minions take care of the opposing party's minions.
Were you parrying a lot? And were you resistant to magic/fire? Because my ATK44/ATKM20/HP550 dragon was getting trashed by the WIP enemies, being outdamaged at least 2:1 by the Angel alone. I doubt he could've taken the later rounds without at least high-level drake-tier minions.

Edit to the edit:
All this for 2 stamina, which is really good. To be fair the dragon does take quite the beating and so that does cost a bunch of gold to either get healed or sat to heal naturally.
I take it you're not getting the option to pick between a girl, jeweler's stash or raw materials from a burning store? I just fixed that... :(

2 stamina would get you ~250 satiety, 10 poverty and loot worth about 40 gold, with much less resistance and a good chance for a fresh maiden. Okay, that's with the new 'eat herds' feature, so I guess right now it's more like 200 or less. Vs ~250, similar loot, 6 poverty but no girl. Repeat raids and extra satiety from those will be blocked by the big A.

I suppose the current release is kinda tilted too much towards city raiding. I guess I might have to get some anti-dragon ballistae or a wondering knight into the action? Don't know, looks a bit too much trouble, and the staff guy is already doing that.

Last edited:

mordet

Apr 21, 2020
Were you parrying a lot? And were you resistant to magic/fire? Because my ATK44/ATKM20/HP550 dragon was getting trashed by the WIP enemies, being outdamaged at least 2:1 by the Angel alone. I doubt he could've taken the later rounds without at least high-level drake-tier minions.
Sorry, it's been a while so I can't remember how exactly the fight went down. I do remember that I had a red head and rainbow head. and I had, I think 2 humonculi and 2 drakes.
I take it you're not getting the option to pick between a girl, jeweler's stash or raw materials from a burning store? I just fixed that... :(
No, I don't. You say you fixed it, is there a way to gain access to the update? I'd love to try it and, honestly, at high mobilization, it's hell to find maidens to sacrifice since I find so many patrols. maybe giving the option to run away before the fight begins would be nice.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Sorry, it's been a while so I can't remember how exactly the fight went down.
Can you try again? Or give me the evolution list and minion stats for the party that did it?

You say you fixed it, is there a way to gain access to the update?
Well, try the attached files. No guarantee there won't be new bugs, though.

...at high mobilization, it's hell to find maidens to sacrifice since I find so many patrols.
Hakim? Or just kill the patrols, I think it's 1/2 stamina and the chance goes down afterwards. That's also where poverty is actually useful. Auto-sacrifice is too untested to get an early release.

...maybe giving the option to run away before the fight begins would be nice.
It would also be cheating. The patrols surprise you, so if you need to escape, you have to pay a price. If the patrols are relatively weak, the price is smaller.

mordet

Apr 21, 2020
Can you try again? Or give me the evolution list and minion stats for the party that did it?
Sorry, I don't have the save file, from that time. so My guess, at this point is as good as yours.
Hakim? Or just kill the patrols, I think it's 1/2 stamina and the chance goes down afterwards. That's also where poverty is actually useful. Auto-sacrifice is too untested to get an early release.
Hakim is a good idea, he's not useful for so long I forgot about him. killing the patrol is the thing that loses so much time. Poverty is kinda counter-productive seeing as the point is to keep mobilization high to keep fear low. But Hakim is a good idea, guess I'll have to time my sleep better. or hope the dragon doesn't oversleep.
Well, try the attached files. No guarantee there won't be new bugs, though.
Thanks. Talking of bugs, see attached. It happens semi consistently when I inspect catapults in combat.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Sorry, I don't have the save file, from that time. so My guess, at this point is as good as yours.
Can you give me details on your current party and how well it does in the city, then? I'd like to see how different the new balance without parrying is.

Hakim is a good idea, he's not useful for so long I forgot about him.
Why is Hakim not useful? He stocks elves and nobles, who are not particularly common, and allows you to take your pick of the common girls.

Poverty is kinda counter-productive seeing as the point is to keep mobilization high to keep fear low.
It's a balancing act. Having mobilization so high that you can't hunt for girls without constant interruptions is probably worse than spending time to find a few extra sacrifices.

....hope the dragon doesn't oversleep.
Yours is oversleeping a lot? Why, are you taking a lot of short naps?

Talking of bugs, see attached. It happens semi consistently when I inspect catapults in combat.
Yeah, that's a bug alright. :( Use the attachment to eliminate it for new games and console 'encounter_database['catapult']['modifiers']=[]' to fix ongoing ones.

mordet

Apr 21, 2020
First of all, sorry, I'm not answering as fast as I could, but I'm just enjoying the game at the same time:p.
Can you give me details on your current party and how well it does in the city, then? I'd like to see how different the new balance without parrying is.
Probably faster to see my save, honestly. And it's doing really well. The black heads are excellent vs most enemies since acid is an uncommon resistance, please don't change that, and sound isn't all that great in most cases, but I thing the 2 important enemies that resist acid, namely ifrits and the archmage, have 25% and 50% sound resistance respectively. Oh and the physical resist is a good bonus in a lot of cases.
Why is Hakim not useful? He stocks elves and nobles, who are not particularly common, and allows you to take your pick of the common girls.
He's costly enough that in the earlier game it's just worth getting the girls by yourself. and all girls are useful when you're not too big since you can always just kill them to reset your anger.
It's a balancing act. Having mobilization so high that you can't hunt for girls without constant interruptions is probably worse than spending time to find a few extra sacrifices.
I suppose. I'll try
Yours is oversleeping a lot? Why, are you taking a lot of short naps?
Not really, but it's always a concern.
Yeah, that's a bug alright. :( Use the attachment to eliminate it for new games and console 'encounter_database['catapult']['modifiers']=[]' to fix ongoing ones.
The hotfix, if it's like the last one, would be really nice to already have the folder tree in it. since there's a bunch of the same file names in the game. I had to use deductive reasoning to make it work last time.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
First of all, sorry, I'm not answering as fast as I could, but I'm just enjoying the game at the same time.
No problem. Have fun!

Probably faster to see my save, honestly. And it's doing really well.
Yeah, yours is one badass dragon. I tried him with two 150%-stat Homunculi and two 150% Drakes against an alert Archmage-defended capital, and I would have still lost in the end without the new Witch ritual giving me another 400 HP. After the Archmage teleported out, the dragon had less than 100 of his original HP left (plus the additional 400), and everyone else was dead. Parrying is apparently quite OP.

Some notes on what I saw in the save:
  • That's a lot of time that dragon's been around... Are you sleeping a lot, or just dedicated? :D
  • Your treasury is full of stuff. It will be useful in the future when the dragon gets sad when his bed is empty, but I don't know what it gives right now.
  • Not that much money, either. What have you been spending it on? :p
  • Holy cow! That's a lot of milk you've got there...
  • You've got many different traps and guard posts, which is not terribly useful ATM. Traps should be focused on one type to catch thieves better.
  • Very few sparks for such an advanced dragon with lots of altars.
  • And only three maidens! None of whom is unique. What did you do with your one unique captive and who was it, anyway?
  • You're not evolving. Is it because of food, fear or something else?
  • You've got a cloud castle spotted, but are still living in the midget dungeons. Do you just like it better there, or what? :)
  • That's a lot of Basilisks.
  • Lizardman village isn't fully stocked with minions yet?! Didn't you have food problems at some point?
  • How is your 'ran away' counter only 11 when you said you kept your infamy down as low as you could for several years?!
  • Hmm, hard battles seem to be impossible to come by when they can still be won.
  • No Phoenixes yet...

The black heads are excellent vs most enemies since acid is an uncommon resistance, please don't change that
I think acid resistance is a bit more common now, but lots of resistances are. Acid immunity is largely the same.

Oh and the physical resist is a good bonus in a lot of cases.
Indeed. More enemies have that as well, now.

He's costly enough that in the earlier game it's just worth getting the girls by yourself. and all girls are useful when you're not too big since you can always just kill them to reset your anger.
But Hakim gives you a bunch of them for nearly no stamina cost, and every girl takes at least 1 stamina which could be spent in other ways. You could always sell your milk for a quick buck and more 'cows'. :sneaky:

The hotfix, if it's like the last one, would be really nice to already have the folder tree in it. since there's a bunch of the same file names in the game. I had to use deductive reasoning to make it work last time.
Exercising your mental muscles is always good. :D I have too many different directories of DDM as it is, it's much easier and less confusing to just throw together the modified files rather than create and prune another directory.

Last edited:
3.50 star(s) 8 Votes