Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Time For Dragons - Defiler Wings: Deranged Dragon Mod [29-07-2020] [Jman]

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
its not like i'm encouraging people to aim for it, even if they do most get killed by the projections.... :devilish:

caju

Oct 5, 2017
Easy is close. If you have 0 Kingdom fear, seals stop decaying completely. I thought people were considering easy, well, too easy?
I dont find easy, too easy.
I want a way to play without having the seals hanging over my head.
You are saying keep fear down... but fear cant go down once you start to reach a certain size.

I dont really care that much about it since it no longer affects me personally.
I changed it from 666 seals to 9999 and just use a save editor if it ever gets a bit low.

But, I really believe a few others would appreciate the story mode to just play with no stress before they challenge themselves with the infernal seals. It seems really easy to add a checkbox and trip a couple of flags.

PariahLies

Dec 21, 2018
Before I commit to the whole thing, I need to know... what exactly comes out of the queen after you impersonate as the king and mutate the offspring?

Might sound hypocritical of someone who plays a game like this but there are a few things I'd prefer not witnessing or taking part in.

Edit: Found out through some earlier comments that it basically is or is like an orc. I can only guess that a chunk of progression is gated behind this event so going along with this woefully unoriginal concept seems like the only choice.
---

By the way, the lines that appear after you pick the girl who is carrying the berry basket is still in russian if the language chosen is english. And the werewolf scene needs some effort in making it make more sense and less seemingly machine translated.

Last edited:

caju

Oct 5, 2017
Before I commit to the whole thing, I need to know... what exactly comes out of the queen after you impersonate as the king and mutate the offspring?

Might sound hypocritical of someone who plays a game like this but there are a few things I'd prefer not witnessing or taking part in.
An orc who then creates an island full of robbers and criminals that work to your benefit

PariahLies

Dec 21, 2018
An orc who then creates an island full of robbers and criminals that work to your benefit
Though I found out through earlier comments myself and didn't notice your post until I was done editing, thanks for the reply regardless.

Reactions: caju

PariahLies

Dec 21, 2018
Final question, the infernal seals. I've got about 450 of them left and was wondering if the game essentially ends if they run out. They don't go down fast by any means but I assume the restoration of them requires the sacrifice of captives. What sort of sacrifice economy am I to expect in the later game? 1 royal sacrifice for a month's worth of seals or what?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I dont find easy, too easy.
Well, that's a new one. What makes it difficult for you?

You are saying keep fear down... but fear cant go down once you start to reach a certain size.
Well, that's true, but by the time you hit impressive size, you should be able to build and maintain sufficient altars without trouble. At least on normal and below.

use a save editor
Use the console. It's massively faster and mildly safer.

play with no stress
It seems really easy to add a checkbox and trip a couple of flags.
I don't really get it why the seals are causing you so much anguish. There are other mechanics that can also hit you (dragon gets too angry, dragon dies to starvation, dragon dies in battle, captives run away, minions misbehave) and need management.

But I suppose I can add a 'tutorial' difficulty with some sort of drawback. No pride, maybe.

I can only guess that a chunk of progression is gated behind this event
No progression as such requires you to participate, 'only' some (pretty big) convenience features.

so going along with this woefully unoriginal concept seems like the only choice.
Eh, I'm not trying for a Nobel here. This is a game about dragon tropes, after all.

I'm also not much of a writer. These events are taken directly from DW, although I had to spend considerable effort on updating the text and events to get a better flow. If that's the thanks I get, I guess I'll just drop the remaining new events and concentrate on the mechanics.

Gwidon is also basically Thrall from Warcraft, in a different situation/world. I don't really recall any book, game or legend that has a dragon doing quests for humans, ending with a magical/prophetic half-human offspring. Do tell me where it's been done before, I'd like to read a better story than Arhin's about this.

berry basket is still in russian
Has been reported thrice now. I guess I need to step up with the hotfixing. :cautious:

And the werewolf scene needs some effort in making it make more sense and less seemingly machine translated.
Not the only event that still has this problem. If you want to help with proofreading, I'd appreciate it. There is way too much clunky text in this game for me to handle on my own. :cry:

Final question, the infernal seals. I've got about 450 of them left and was wondering if the game essentially ends if they run out.
Yes and no. As Mom suggests, demons appear and try to take over. If your dragon is big enough and bad enough, you can beat them back and get an alternate ending. If not, but your dragon isn't a puhover, you can stall them for quite a while. Maybe even indefinitely with savescumming. You'll lose access to the Capital, though.

Otherwise, it's indeed game over when the Kingdom gets overrun after a while.

I assume the restoration of them requires the sacrifice of captives.
Yes.

What sort of sacrifice economy am I to expect in the later game? 1 royal sacrifice for a month's worth of seals or what?
Depends on your actions, but usually far more than that. A genuine princess goes for roughly 24 seals, and an endgame dragon can have a long-term seals loss of 2 and some change per day. Since that same dragon sleeps for six months a go, that's maybe 400 seals gone every sleep cycle. An elf, the other regularly available high-quality sacrifice, also gives you ~24 seals, and a 'regular' noble yields ~19. So you're probably looking at sacrificing ~20 girls per sleep cycle.

I suppose if you're looking at it from an action economy viewpoint, buying out Hakim's entire stock and sacrificing all of them is probably a better idea than hunting down the sacrifices individually. Although if you manage a disposable angel, that's ~59 seals restored.

PariahLies

Dec 21, 2018
Good to know the sort of economy I should be preparing for. As for the proofreading, I'd love to, but I don't want to spoil the story too much. Maybe after the playthrough.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
As for the proofreading, I'd love to, but I don't want to spoil the story too much.
If you're serious about it, try your hand at 'game\tl\english\_script\rape\rape_labels.rpy'. No story spoilers in there, just the Dragon having fun in Runglish. :D

The game doesn't really have a lot of story, and there are several parts than are mutually exclusive in one playthrough. But the mod is first and foremost an evil dragon sim, and the main 'story' is the one you make for yourself.

caju

Oct 5, 2017
Use the console. It's massively faster and mildly safer.

I don't really get it why the seals are causing you so much anguish. There are other mechanics that can also hit you (dragon gets too angry, dragon dies to starvation, dragon dies in battle, captives run away, minions misbehave) and need management.
I dont have any idea what to do with the console. No idea wtf it even is. I know shift+o opens it.

The seals dont cause me anguish. I just opened the files and changed the seals to 9999.
I suggested a "story mode" where people can just play without the added stress.
Again, it isnt really about me. Changing a few numbers is easy.

I never have any of the other issues like anger, starvation, captives running away, or minion issues due to my playstyle.
Put people in cages, then they are no stress. Stick to sharks, griffins, boars, bears, and ogres and never worry about food.

I just have a belief that people would enjoy "story mode" from time to time. I am aware you personally want to make it tougher and tougher. I understand that too. There are very few games I enjoy and I do love this one.
I just believe it would be fun to focus on other things like quests, personal fame, and relaxing from time to time instead of seals maintenance.

9967.jpg Much better imo

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I dont have any idea what to do with the console. No idea wtf it even is.
It's a Python interpreter within the game. You want to change seals, you press Shift+O, type or copy e.g.
Code:
kingdom.demon_seal_max = 9999
kingdom.demon_seal = 9999
into it and you're good. Repeat the second one when you're running out again.

The seals dont cause me anguish.
I suggested a "story mode" where people can just play without the added stress.
Again, it isnt really about me.
But they did, which is the point here. Or at least made you sufficiently uncomfortable to go and change them.

And as I said, I don't really see the big difference between 'seal stress' and 'rage stress' or 'knight destroys me stress'. The whole point of the mod is to manage various resources and be rewarded with your own dragon story for it.

Put people in cages, then they are no stress.
Cages are limited in number. Stress! :p Some minion might snack on them in there. Even more stress... I'm not sure where you draw the line. :cautious:

Stick to sharks, griffins, boars, bears, and ogres and never worry about food.
None of these is very reliable, since they're not that easy to find, eating them makes the encounters go away for a while, and beating them on anything above easy is solidly mid-game territory. A large village is easier to defeat and more profitable than an ogre, griffin or bear, even if you only count food. And there's no RNG involved.

Plus, ~60-70 food per encounter is far from 'never worry' if you're doing significant evolving or lair-building.

I just have a belief that people would enjoy "story mode" from time to time.
That may be true. But I'm far from sure they will be satisfied with just disabling the seals. Maybe they also want no runaways (Evil Earthworm Jim :p), less resistance from the captives, less rage buildup (flamewolf393), who knows what else?

I am aware you personally want to make it tougher and tougher.
I don't want to make the game 'tougher'. It's trivial to make it unreasonably hard. I want it to be somewhat consistent and that the player is always juggling somewhat limited resources, because that's where the real fun is. Seals accomplish this by making each sleep cycle matter, as a limited resource. If you waste your time, bad things happen. Bad things you have trouble reloading yourself out of, too.

I just believe it would be fun to focus on other things like quests, personal fame, and relaxing from time to time instead of seals maintenance.
I might think about some form of automated seals maintenance. No promises in the short term, though.

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
Maybe a flag and some flavor text to represent seal number repair. Patrols weeding out cultists, like the knight?

PariahLies

Dec 21, 2018
Some suggestions and a question:
An option for the early game to eat the women if you were unsuccessful in raping them due to your rage piling up in your attempts would be swell. This option wouldn't matter much later on due to how little they actually sate you but early on it could be nice.

A minor QOL suggestion to lessen the amount of clicks in battle, would it be possible to display every action that goes in a turn at once instead of having it be an action per screen? Something like your units on a left collumn and their units in a right collumn with arrows pointing from each and damage numbers on each arrow perhaps.

Would having magic resistance or poison resistance help against a thief who has the ability to use a sleeping powder? Got a thief that's been a thorn in my side for too long and seems to have a load of gadgets that simply bypasses traps and minions.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
seal number repair. Patrols weeding out cultists, like the knight?
Again, the cultists are not demon worshippers. They're a popular movement fed up with the inability of the 'authorities' (the King, the local nobles/mayors, the Knights Crusader and the questing knights) to make the dragon go away.

Trying to do witch hunts instead of actually handling the lizard is a fast way to get a civil war.

An option for the early game to eat the women if you were unsuccessful in raping them due to your rage piling up in your attempts would be swell. This option wouldn't matter much later on due to how little they actually sate you but early on it could be nice.
Thematically, if you can't rape them, you certainly can't eat them. What kind of medieval woman protects her virtue more than her life? o_O

Eating them is either a fetish thing, trying to get over some threshold (100 satiety, I'm looking at you :D ), or just a bonus from a village run.

would it be possible to display every action that goes in a turn at once instead of having it be an action per screen?
Would take rewriting considerable parts of the battle UI and possibly some logic as well. Very much high effort/low reward from my POV, so not happening unless I get really fed up with the current system or someone else does it.

damage numbers on each arrow perhaps.
Damage is random. Even damage type can be random.

Would having magic resistance or poison resistance help against a thief who has the ability to use a sleeping powder?
Not currently. Maybe it could work, but I'm not too keen on taking power away from thieves/knights.

Got a thief that's been a thorn in my side for too long and seems to have a load of gadgets that simply bypasses traps and minions.
Just send some assassins after her, then. Or hire one million goblins. :D

Reactions: PariahLies

PariahLies

Dec 21, 2018
Alright then. Didn't know you could send assassins but I guess I just have to progress a little more so it opens up.

Kinda bummed to hear having those resistances won't help. I was preparing to mutate the head into a magical one to see if it'll help but if it doesn't then having more mana will be useful regardless.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Didn't know you could send assassins
You haven't gotten Gwidon set up yet?

Kinda bummed to hear having those resistances won't help. I was preparing to mutate the head
Well, if you want a magical head that helps your dragon with sleep dust, that's exactly what a golden head's 'See the Unseen' bonus does. It's not foolproof, but stacks somewhat.

Reactions: PariahLies

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
Well, if you want a magical head that helps your dragon with sleep dust, that's exactly what a golden head's 'See the Unseen' bonus does. It's not foolproof, but stacks somewhat.
Wonder how many heads needed... *starts on evolving more gold heads

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Wonder how many heads needed...
The bonus caps out at 11 gold heads. Against a level 60 thief, each additional head gives you about 3% extra chance to be woken up, although there are other abilities in play that make this not quite accurate in actual gameplay. 11 heads also makes you immune to thieves up to about level 40.

For comparison, the first and most useful golden head provides immunity to about level 14 thieves, and every additional golden head gives you from 15% to 3% extra chance to wake up, depending on thief level.

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes