Keldar

Jul 23, 2018
I really hate game where I need to stare at screens and follow a certain walkthrough to enjoy the most outcome ...why cant it have linear storyline that has impact based on your decisions so you can replay different ways & explore rather than following step by step like if you dont buy this tea you wont have this scene if you dont talk to the secretary at evening that other scene wont unlock etc etc . Just make storylines change based on the path we choose not the other material irrelevant things
I get where you are coming from. I tried this game last year and I wasn't a fan because of similar issues, but I like that this game exists. I dislike the game but like that it exists, to reiterate. There is plenty of room for games to take a rather novel approach to gameplay even if you or I don't like it. The worse thing I can think of is if every game was a ren'py VN and I say this as someone who prefers ren'py VN games. If no one tries something different then nothing new gets developed. I'd hate to be stuck with flash games from a decade ago because no one was willing to try something new.

The whole point of this game is for the PLAYER to solve the "mystery" using rather unique mechanics vs. the Main Character solve the "mystery." It isn't what I am looking for but that doesn't mean other people wont enjoy it. The more variety we have in game the better the industry and the more likelihood that any given game will be something you like but that also means you have to accept that some games will not be what you like.

truerty

Dec 30, 2018
Sorry, i've tried to make a Android build and i've got a nasty error. I simply don't have enough time to invest in making this right now. Maybe in the future. I think someone compile an Android version of the game at some point.
Can you try one more time? This game is too damn good and I hate to miss it!

vimmers

Engaged Member
Aug 12, 2017
The whole point of this game is for the PLAYER to solve the "mystery" using rather unique mechanics vs. the Main Character
indeed
and i think there should be many more games maybe not with timeloop
but with a challenge to solve a puzzle/mystery by finding information to a girl/boy or drug in this case

like the nancy drew and sherlock holmes games

currently i am stuck in timeloop but i hate asking for help cos it's fun to self find the solution
so hats of for
HydraHenker for devise this complicated game

Reactions: HydraHenker

Klain50

May 27, 2017
I get where you are coming from. I tried this game last year and I wasn't a fan because of similar issues, but I like that this game exists. I dislike the game but like that it exists, to reiterate. There is plenty of room for games to take a rather novel approach to gameplay even if you or I don't like it. The worse thing I can think of is if every game was a ren'py VN and I say this as someone who prefers ren'py VN games. If no one tries something different then nothing new gets developed. I'd hate to be stuck with flash games from a decade ago because no one was willing to try something new.

The whole point of this game is for the PLAYER to solve the "mystery" using rather unique mechanics vs. the Main Character solve the "mystery." It isn't what I am looking for but that doesn't mean other people wont enjoy it. The more variety we have in game the better the industry and the more likelihood that any given game will be something you like but that also means you have to accept that some games will not be what you like.
I dont hate the RPGM games by any means ..what I meant was how can I enjoy the game if I stare at a walkthrough tab while trying to enjoy the game . Look at how My Sister Mia did it . It has quests & a decent storyline but the difference is that the game tells you what to do next . I prefer that rather than looking at step by step notes to get all the scenes . If the game told you next you can do this or do that . then I wouldnt mind that

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
Ignore my thing about Dana above, figured it out. I didn't become the intern the first time in the right timeline. So I didn't learn about Dana being in the hospital.

Keldar

Jul 23, 2018
I dont hate the RPGM games by any means ..what I meant was how can I enjoy the game if I stare at a walkthrough tab while trying to enjoy the game . Look at how My Sister Mia did it . It has quests & a decent storyline but the difference is that the game tells you what to do next . I prefer that rather than looking at step by step notes to get all the scenes . If the game told you next you can do this or do that . then I wouldnt mind that
Nothing what I said had anything to do with RPGM games. I think you need to reread what I wrote because it is clear from your response you are clueless to my point.

wildride

Jul 5, 2017
In the hopes that the Dev can see this, the Yoga mini game where you have to select a colour. Can you change the colour of the text telling you what to press? I cant really make it out before the time is up, light coloured text on a light colout background is not a good idea.

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
In the hopes that the Dev can see this, the Yoga mini game where you have to select a colour. Can you change the colour of the text telling you what to press? I cant really make it out before the time is up, light coloured text on a light colout background is not a good idea.
Plus it's not really a good mini game. It relies on the people playing to not be color blind.

wbfby3fbyu2

Feb 14, 2018
Did you also, right after finishing (or skipping) the interface intro, get a `utf8` codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 11: invalid continuation byte error?

I did and to fix the problems you're having right now I went into the file game/char_Ayumi.py and edited line 31 from

Python:
memayumi3.init_event('timelooprem', dayparts[0], 'hacker_lair',"Ayumi has déjà vu while talking to you, like she can remember the time loop.",'root')
into
Python:
memayumi3.init_event('timelooprem', dayparts[0], 'hacker_lair',"Ayumi has deja vu while talking to you, like she can remember the time loop.",'root')
From my reading of the tracebck (Posted at the bottom for dev) there appears to be some issue with the shipped lib/pythonlib2.7/encodings/utf_8.pyo file. I tried replacing it with a version from The Red Room V0.1, but that didn't fix anything so I think this might be a problem with Ren'Py itself.

The problem is that it doens't read the valid multibyte 0x00E9 as é, but as 0x00 and then 0xE9. Since 0xE9 isn't a valid UTF8 byte, it throws an error

EDIT: I just tried running the game in wine instead of using the bash shell and it works without problems... Are you running a UNIX-like distro?

My traceback:
I decided to investigate a little further, so just a quick follow up: The problem isn't actually with Ren'Py. The problem is that the string ("déjà") isn't valid UTF-8 but instead valid Latin-1. We can show this and fix it by first decoding the string from 'latin1' and then encoding it as 'utf8':
Python:
"Ayumi has déjà vu while talking to you, like she can remember the time loop.".decode('latin1').encode('utf8')
And while this fixes the problem, it isn't really a valid fix. You could change your file encoding to Latin-1 (Probably called something like 'ISO-8859-11') but I wouldn't bother. Ren'Py is destined to transition to Python 3, in which case this shouldn't be a problem

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Did you also, right after finishing (or skipping) the interface intro, get a `utf8` codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 11: invalid continuation byte error?
Yes, but not just that. Pretty much everything results with this.

I did and to fix the problems you're having right now I went into the file game/char_Ayumi.py and edited line 31 from

Python:
memayumi3.init_event('timelooprem', dayparts[0], 'hacker_lair',"Ayumi has déjà vu while talking to you, like she can remember the time loop.",'root')
into
Python:
memayumi3.init_event('timelooprem', dayparts[0], 'hacker_lair',"Ayumi has deja vu while talking to you, like she can remember the time loop.",'root')
From my reading of the tracebck (Posted at the bottom for dev) there appears to be some issue with the shipped lib/pythonlib2.7/encodings/utf_8.pyo file. I tried replacing it with a version from The Red Room V0.1, but that didn't fix anything so I think this might be a problem with Ren'Py itself.

The problem is that it doens't read the valid multibyte 0x00E9 as é, but as 0x00 and then 0xE9. Since 0xE9 isn't a valid UTF8 byte, it throws an error
I have tried to modify loader.py, as it worked with some other games. (I would fix line 180, to add latin_1 as encoder, but it didn't work. I am afraid I can't go further in Python hacking. Maybe newer version of phyton would fix this.

EDIT: I just tried running the game in wine instead of using the bash shell and it works without problems... Are you running a UNIX-like distro?
Yes, Debian. I guessed so much, this is Linux specific. Though, there is great probability, this will happen at MacOS too.

And while this fixes the problem, it isn't really a valid fix. You could change your file encoding to Latin-1 (Probably called something like 'ISO-8859-11') but I wouldn't bother. Ren'Py is destined to transition to Python 3, in which case this shouldn't be a problem
Didn't work either.

Reactions: wbfby3fbyu2

Disco-Inferno

May 9, 2017
I'm pretty confused right now. I've been following the walkthrough perfectly from a fresh fresh copy of the game (deleted all the appdata saves as well) and for some reason I'm never given the option to follow Dana at the end of the covnersation that takes place when you save her. So I can't unlock the suburbs. Anyone else had this problem?

Am I not supposed to follow the premlinaries when starting a new game or should I? Because whenever I follow the guide step by step and I get to step 12 of Dana's guide where it says "Follow Dana" that option is never given.

vimmers

Engaged Member
Aug 12, 2017
Fealow

i would start with dana not preliminaries
you shall only follow the black numbers and do what they say
some of the writing in between the numbers are when you shall use the action button

wbfby3fbyu2

Feb 14, 2018
Yes, but not just that. Pretty much everything results with this.

I have tried to modify loader.py, as it worked with some other games. (I would fix line 180, to add latin_1 as encoder, but it didn't work. I am afraid I can't go further in Python hacking. Maybe newer version of phyton would fix this.

Yes, Debian. I guessed so much, this is Linux specific. Though, there is great probability, this will happen at MacOS too.

Didn't work either.
That is very odd... Did you try just changing "déjà" to "deja"? That should fix the problem. Did none of my other solutions work for you? I tested them all... But then again, I don't know python and I don't know Ren'Py, so I might be missing something obvious?

Reactions: Thermophob

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
That is very odd... Did you try just changing "déjà" to "deja"? That should fix the problem. Did none of my other solutions work for you? I tested them all... But then again, I don't know python and I don't know Ren'Py, so I might be missing something obvious?
You are more advanced than me :) I am not able to test it at moment, but I will go and try it this evening or tomorrow. I will keep you informed which fix works :)

Reactions: wbfby3fbyu2

Lycan Huntz4Oppai

The Voyeur Wolf
Donor
May 31, 2017
When following the walkthrough up to step 135 of Janice's section, even though I have 10 fun points, I'm not getting the 3rd timeline slot unlocked at that point. I don't know if I'm bugged or the number of timeline slots have been decreased from 3 to 2.

HydraHenker

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
I'll probably do something on the next version since self-control level 2 is coming

Cheers!

3.10 star(s) 81 Votes