Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Never seen a unity game on mobile.I guees it means that the engine of the game must also change.It's quite a lot work.
You mean a unity VN game? cause in general like 90 of mobile games are actually made in unity :p It's just that its all custom made for the touch interface really, gets quite bloated, big buttons and of course, when it comes to a game like a VN really need to think about the game size... and it is difficult to do and maintaining quality.

KeinBa

Sep 26, 2017
You mean a unity VN game? cause in general like 90 of mobile games are actually made in unity :p It's just that its all custom made for the touch interface really, gets quite bloated, big buttons and of course, when it comes to a game like a VN really need to think about the game size... and it is difficult to do and maintaining quality.
I meant there 99% of the mobile ports on this site have a renpy engine.I've never seen a game with the unity engine ported to Android on this site.So I always thought that it was not possible due to engine.You just proved how ignorant I am about this. :p

Reactions: Sheknowsaboutyou

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I meant there 99% of the mobile ports on this site have a renpy engine.I've never seen a game with the unity engine ported to Android on this site.So I always thought that it was not possible due to engine.You proved how ignorant I am about this. :p
Check out Glamour from Dark Silver. It is made in Unity and has an Android version.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
I meant there 99% of the mobile ports on this site have a renpy engine.I've never seen a game with the unity engine ported to Android on this site.So I always thought that it was not possible due to engine.You just proved how ignorant I am about this. :p
Yeah probably in this world , but in unity you can technically just compile to mobile , but since there is tons of work, and the way the game is designed, having full screen renders its not the best thing for mobile, i think even for some renpy ports they tend to lower the quality of the images :/, or are those apk's around a gig+?

Unity is used very widely for indie games, and especially on mobile.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Thank you very much, lately I haven't had time for my fetishes and I lose a little notion of the meanings of certain things related to them, thank you again.
well, it's we who decided to call it PE :D even P1 just means patch 1, also something we made up cause it made sense at the time. :)

PokeIssau

Fan of things.
Donor
Jan 15, 2018
well, it's we who decided to call it PE :D even P1 just means patch 1, also something we made up cause it made sense at the time. :)
Oh yeah, I've followed the game since the first versions, it's just that I forgot that exist a platinum version, I couldn't play the previous version of this one either, I'm just catching up. thank you very much for the clarification :D

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Oh yeah, I've followed the game since the first versions, it's just that I forgot that exist a platinum version, I couldn't play the previous version of this one either, I'm just catching up. thank you very much for the clarification :D
We introduced the platinum version in 0.4.2 I think, so it hasn't been that long, first was juli second heather and this one is nika. it just gives you a new main menu with a nicer looking animated screen. most of the other platinum perks really come through patreon website and the post access

KeinBa

Sep 26, 2017
Yeah probably in this world , but in unity you can technically just compile to mobile , but since there is tons of work, and the way the game is designed, having full screen renders its not the best thing for mobile, i think even for some renpy ports they tend to lower the quality of the images :/, or are those apk's around a gig+?

Unity is used very widely for indie games, and especially on mobile.
I don't play games on mobile.So I had no chance to test it.But the size of ports on site is lower than the game itself. They probably resize the images or reduce the quality of the images.

Reactions: Sheknowsaboutyou

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
I meant there 99% of the mobile ports on this site have a renpy engine.I've never seen a game with the unity engine ported to Android on this site.
Typically it's less a case of just "porting" like with a console game to PC, and more a case of some rebuilding is required.

Ren'Py is a different engine to Unity, and typically only used for VNs and some very, very basic "sandbox" or CYOA style games.
Unity has a much broader range of potential application for game development.
For example, two other Unity games on these forums is The Twist and Big Brother. Similar premise, different styles of game and with vastly different presentation.
Big Brother (same dev as the aforementioned Glamour): 2D presentation with pre-rendered images and a "sandboxy" VN style.
The Twist: 3D presentation dependant on system hardware for image rendering as you play, also a "sandboxy" VN style.

Converting Big Brother for Android would be easier than The Twist, primarily to its nature as a more traditional VN game. This would also allow for wider use on Android devices due to the lacking necessity of hardware reliance that The Twist has.
The Twist could be "rebuilt" for Android, but would be limited to devices that are capable of already playing real-time 3D rendered games, which is a more niche market amongst mobile devices than the majority of people here that keep asking for Android versions of Unity made games.
That audience is, typically, those who are more into gaming than the rest of the members here, bordering on being the proverbial "hardcore" gamer. They also typically will be running a PC that's well geared for PC gaming, and possibly one or more console.

Being purely speculative here, but for this game, it's Unity at heart but (I believe) heavily modified for VN development, so that adds a potential extra hurdle that has to be accounted for. I'm sure that it'll only be a minor issue if/when an Android version is made though.
The upside is that it shouldn't require the same kind of "high end" Android device that an Android version of The Twist would, so as long as your chosen device isn't more than say, five years old, it should be more than adequate for the task of running an eventual Android version of Timestamps.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Typically it's less a case of just "porting" like with a console game to PC, and more a case of some rebuilding is required.

Ren'Py is a different engine to Unity, and typically only used for VNs and some very, very basic "sandbox" or CYOA style games.
Unity has a much broader range of potential application for game development.
For example, two other Unity games on these forums is The Twist and Big Brother. Similar premise, different styles of game and with vastly different presentation.
Big Brother (same dev as the aforementioned Glamour): 2D presentation with pre-rendered images and a "sandboxy" VN style.
The Twist: 3D presentation dependant on system hardware for image rendering as you play, also a "sandboxy" VN style.

Converting Big Brother for Android would be easier than The Twist, primarily to its nature as a more traditional VN game. This would also allow for wider use on Android devices due to the lacking necessity of hardware reliance that The Twist has.
The Twist could be "rebuilt" for Android, but would be limited to devices that are capable of already playing real-time 3D rendered games, which is a more niche market amongst mobile devices than the majority of people here that keep asking for Android versions of Unity made games.
That audience is, typically, those who are more into gaming than the rest of the members here, bordering on being the proverbial "hardcore" gamer. They also typically will be running a PC that's well geared for PC gaming, and possibly one or more console.

Being purely speculative here, but for this game, it's Unity at heart but (I believe) heavily modified for VN development, so that adds a potential extra hurdle that has to be accounted for. I'm sure that it'll only be a minor issue if/when an Android version is made though.
The upside is that it shouldn't require the same kind of "high end" Android device that an Android version of The Twist would, so as long as your chosen device isn't more than say, five years old, it should be more than adequate for the task of running an eventual Android version of Timestamps.
I guess we will see, because phones are pretty damn strong right now. I did buy a better android phone recently to be able to test as well when its time. (not yet) :p

NeroZee

Jun 24, 2018
Goddamn this game is good.
Whosever idea it was to have young Juli and Heather, you are an absolute genius, they look so cute and perfect.
Blew my mind when i saw them, now that's a clever use of time travel shenanigans.

4.10 star(s) 235 Votes