Euron13

Apr 7, 2019
Looking at the new renders done on Unreal, I’d have to say I’m in agreement.

He had said (probably months ago now, last time I checked) that it would allow him to render a lot faster than before but we’ll see. As it stands I kind of feel that’ll end up being bullshit on his part.

Reactions: prezes777

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Looking at the new renders done on Unreal, I’d have to say I’m in agreement.

He had said (probably months ago now, last time I checked) that it would allow him to render a lot faster than before but we’ll see. As it stands I kind of feel that’ll end up being bullshit on his part.
sure once he masters unreal.

seen even worse excuse sadly.

K18

Apr 19, 2018
DevUpdate1.jpg

Would you believe I'm still not over this virus? It isn't near as terrible, but I am definitely approaching that 8-10 week mark. The good news is that it is causing me fewer issues day-by-day. I did check in again with the doctor, and they confirmed it just is going to take awhile to get over.

Now on to what you all came to read about: Chapter 11's development. The very good news is that render progress is now steady. Not that there isn't the occasional issue that grinds things to a halt for an hour or two while I figure out how to solve it, but I'm back to a life of cranking out renders (and then inevitably redoing some of those when I find things I missed the first time). That and rewriting rougher parts of the script.

I'm using a new clothing setup that allows me to grab clothing during simulation to position it. This allows for some "happy accidents," and lets me get creative with some of the clothing items I'm using. You'll get to see this in some of the previews. And speaking of clothing, it turned out to be much easier than I thought to get custom clothing into these scenes. So you'll get to see some more period appropriate outfits for some of our characters, though many have a few modifications to make them a bit better fit for an adult visual novel. In fact, a lot of the custom clothing is more problem free than the clothing items I was using before.

At this stage, progress is steady, but things are still fluid. While writing my scripts, I always estimate how many renders a scene will get. Render setup, while quicker, is still the largest chunk of my time. I already had an enormous release with Chapter 11, and a lot of scenes are growing the render count, as I go through and do them. This is one time where a progress bar or some other example of progress isn't very useful. Scenes vary in size, complexity of characters, posing difficulty, etc. There are some scenes that are on the chopping block, but I'll make the decision whether to nix those before I start renders on them after I have more of these essential scenes out of the way.

One big area that I've been working on to speed up my development times is doing only what I have to do for the render. In times past, I would look at a render from nearly every angle, and then make adjustments. Now? I get my camera setup before anything else and then look through that only. If there are problems visible from the camera, I'll only fix those. This has also helped with things like environment creation, as I just need to get those to a baseline of quality, and I can adjust any details during individual renders or scenes.

That's all from me for this month. I'll be heading on a holiday "vacation" (family visit) in about a week, and then return back here before the end of the year. During the break, I'll be doing some editing of the script and writing, but render work will cease during that time. I will have some special holiday themed renders coming before I leave. Have a great holiday season, and I'll be back with another development update in January.

Majindevil

Nov 20, 2018
well nothing big seems to be wrong.
right the characters are looking way better then the other previews (also a good thing the absense of exeragated expressions)
my only nitpick is the backgrounds are looking too blurry in relation to the characters.

somehow as if they were fotoshoppd photoshopped over a screenshot. if he can improve the envirenment textures and the deeph of field effect
it could be good (did not think i would say that after the early previews)

edit: damn i know it is a bit late and i am tired but wtf sorry for the typos...:oops:

Reactions: gojira667

Kond

Jul 8, 2018
right the characters are looking way better then the other previews (also a good thing the absense of exeragated expressions)
my only nitpick is the backgrounds are looking too blurry in relation to the characters.

somehow as if they were fotoshoppd photoshopped over a screenshot. if he can improve the envirenment textures and the deeph of field effect
it could be good (did not think i would say that after the early previews)

edit: damn i know it is a bit late and i am tired but wtf sorry for the typos...:oops:
Maybe this is on purpose, its like when we are looking at something or at a person and the background loses definition, maybe dev is trying to emulate this and trying to give more immersion.

Last edited:

JR2021

Sep 23, 2021
Sorry, by the way... I was the one who mentioned earlier that Roy was switching away from Daz to Unreal. I honestly thought he was changing it to open-world Unreal, but I stand corrected if he's only switching for the renders. It still seems an odd choice to switch from Daz3D during an existing project. I haven't been a Patron in 2023 so I don't get Roy's latest updates... but get better ITRoy!

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Sorry, by the way... I was the one who mentioned earlier that Roy was switching away from Daz to Unreal. I honestly thought he was changing it to open-world Unreal, but I stand corrected if he's only switching for the renders. It still seems an odd choice to switch from Daz3D during an existing project. I haven't been a Patron in 2023 so I don't get Roy's latest updates... but get better ITRoy!
Agree it is a rather odd decision half way through...but it is what it is I guess.

watchinglolis

Jan 12, 2021
I just miss seeing the story unfold. So many characters to interact with in the game so far and then so long of a pause. I can't knock ITRoy for having standards that they want to keep though so I'm just gonna sit on my hands and shut up while I continue waiting.

SuperW

Nov 16, 2022
Lydia's my favorite character so far.

Her path better not end like Far Cry 3:

[Lydia and Lucius toast and drink from wine goblets. Lucius drops his goblet and begins gagging in agony.]

Lydia: "Now that you have named me Queen and I am pregnant with your son, I see no need to keep you around."

[Lucius drops to his knees, a look of horror on his face.]

Lydia: Don't worry, my beloved. As Queen Regent, I will be a fair ruler, at least, to those who do not cross me.

[Lucius keels over, dead.]

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
An entire year of nothing. Milk extraordinaire. Switching render engine halfway through production and pause for years is nonsensical.
I still have yet to try out any new versions of the game beyond the first one I played well over a year ago. Since I seen him experimenting with different ways to render, I have put off playing it again. He didn't switch engines though. From what I understand he still uses RenPY, he just has been experimenting with using Epic's Unreal engine to create the scenes with. Seems like an interesting idea, one that actually crossed my mind as well. But... I would have done it as a side project, not switching half way through a project people are financially supporting.

Who knows, perhaps it will turn out to be time well spent. I like to give the benefit of the doubt. Only those who financially support his efforts can tell how they feel.

We can't very much complain when we don't pay anything out, now can we?

Reactions: Chrisdarock19

Alienhead074

Sep 11, 2021
To Be a King [Ch.10] + Unofficial Android Port + DA's Multi Mod

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

- 947mb

My Android Ports have a 2nd Persistent save location. So, even if you uninstall the game, the saves will remain Intact.

Saves location: Storage/0011/Game-name

You can also join my discord server for more and support me.

You can also join 0011 discord server

If you like my works please support me.

Can you reup

Reactions: natsul333

watchinglolis

Jan 12, 2021
I still have yet to try out any new versions of the game beyond the first one I played well over a year ago. Since I seen him experimenting with different ways to render, I have put off playing it again. He didn't switch engines though. From what I understand he still uses RenPY, he just has been experimenting with using Epic's Unreal engine to create the scenes with. Seems like an interesting idea, one that actually crossed my mind as well. But... I would have done it as a side project, not switching half way through a project people are financially supporting.

Who knows, perhaps it will turn out to be time well spent. I like to give the benefit of the doubt. Only those who financially support his efforts can tell how they feel.

We can't very much complain when we don't pay anything out, now can we?
ITRoy is willing to refund any free users that didn't have the option to unsub during the pause for retooling. You can now redeem a voucher for freefity at stfu.io. This of course is only sarcasm and no dev owes you anything without a contract. With this type of indie game development, it's either you are offering of your own accord to sponsor their attempt at a successful game or you are paying for a game in full through a contract agreement.

• Haha
Reactions: Night Hacker
3.90 star(s) 81 Votes