RewindWorld

Jan 27, 2020
It's just the characters' hair that looks "softened", but the backgrounds and locations look way better.
I'm not sure I can agree with that, but even if that's true are backgrounds that important anyway? Most of the time focus is on the characters and backgrounds are blured half the time anyway.

I took a couple of screenshots from early old game.

WARNING: There are 20 images under spoiler below.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

rahkshi01

Dec 31, 2018
I'm not sure I can agree with that, but even if that's true are backgrounds that important anyway? Most of the time focus is on the characters and backgrounds are blured half the time anyway.

I took a couple of screenshots from early old game.

WARNING: There are 20 images under spoiler below.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I definitely have to agree here. Honestly this whole thing with using a different engine to create 'better' backgrounds just seems like a huge pointless waste of time. It sacrificed the main focus of the player which is the characters and how they look for a secondary focus which is the background. The old images posted showed that the backgrounds were already fine as is and were able to fit the setting of the story. Now what we have is worse looking girls who are nowhere near as beautiful as they once were which was the main draw for a lot of players, a tremendous amount of time spent, all for supposedly better looking walls, ground, sky, trees and whatever else is in the background which most people won't pay attention to and all of it is going to be gone in just one click away.
The trade off was not worth it. The dev makes it sound like he is painting the Mona Lisa.

Regardie

Jul 27, 2017
The points of the different engine to render the graphics are fastest render times, larger sets of available assets. After this long delay, it should make turnaround time quicker, or more renders in each release.

aaachris

Oct 26, 2019
The points of the different engine to render the graphics are fastest render times, larger sets of available assets. After this long delay, it should make turnaround time quicker, or more renders in each release.
One of his big reasons was animations. The development time will remain the same with how much time he will need to spend for animations for simple scenes which could be done with a few still renders previously without fancy animation.

• Haha
Reactions: karumi56

Candy Suxx

Oct 11, 2019
Even if all after all this time the game has taken and still the chapter will only have half the content that was planned I hope the entire game has been redone and not just the new CH11.
I don't want to see some Stoper type shit with 100-200 renders update after more than a year.

• Haha
Reactions: cxx

Filipis

Nov 15, 2022
I definitely have to agree here. Honestly this whole thing with using a different engine to create 'better' backgrounds just seems like a huge pointless waste of time. It sacrificed the main focus of the player which is the characters and how they look for a secondary focus which is the background. The old images posted showed that the backgrounds were already fine as is and were able to fit the setting of the story. Now what we have is worse looking girls who are nowhere near as beautiful as they once were which was the main draw for a lot of players, a tremendous amount of time spent, all for supposedly better looking walls, ground, sky, trees and whatever else is in the background which most people won't pay attention to and all of it is going to be gone in just one click away.
The trade off was not worth it. The dev makes it sound like he is painting the Mona Lisa.
Hey, this is a free country world, if the developer wants to lose most of his funding, then he is free to rework the entire project halfway through do so.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Hey, this is a free country world, if the developer wants to lose most of his funding, then he is free to rework the entire project halfway through do so.
some have actually done that (what you overlined), 1 didn't lose supporters (at least not many), 1 still works on game, 1 abandoned game (apparently due health issues) but officially it's not abandoned (none/few players believe on it's returning, 1 made 2 games on same subject (remakes) but didn't finish either (2nd is remake of 1st and 2nd was gonna get remake but got abandoned not officially by dev but doubt any1 (no1 at F95) believes that it will rise from ashes.

karumi56

Oct 7, 2019
It's sad and baffling when devs get more than half way through completing a project and then completely self destruct by either endlessly "remaking" their title or decide to drastically change the method of producing it. F95 is littered with games that have ended up abandoned after these shenanigans. I can't think of one title that actually was completed after a dev fell into one of the above traps/cycles.

Which is more important for telling the story? Background or character art? Character art is the simple answer. And they look terrible in this new render process from the samples that have been provided.

Last edited:

Draugo

Jul 12, 2022
I hope that the story continues with good amount of content with the previous quality and that the dev feels the change was worth it but I have to agree that this delay felt really unnecessary. Some of the best AVNs are some of the worst looking ones and most of the good looking and good AVNs either were really good looking from the start because dev had experience or were decent looking and gradually got even better.

The best devs either work with the skills they have and improve what they can or continue at their current style and take it as an opportunity to learn when they start their next project.

Reactions: RewindWorld

Kirel

Mar 18, 2018
Roy mentioned in his rationale for making the switch now was that there were things he wanted to do in TBAK that simply wouldn't've possible if he had stayed in Daz. So it wasn't just a question of making renders faster. UE gives him better tools to create a higher quality product that better achieves his vision for the game.

addasus

Oct 30, 2019
Roy mentioned in his rationale for making the switch now was that there were things he wanted to do in TBAK that simply wouldn't've possible if he had stayed in Daz. So it wasn't just a question of making renders faster. UE gives him better tools to create a higher quality product that better achieves his vision for the game.
It still feels largely like a creator mucking around with stuff they should have left well enough alone. I understand the urge to keep revising things, it's a problem I have myself, but there comes a time when you just have to put down the red pen and move on. Either work within the limitations of the tools you have, or head to a point that works well enough for a climax and make a part-2 exe that uses the new stuff, and you go back to tinkering when you're able to, rather than holding up the entire thing.

I'd probably be less skeptical about the decision if I knew that it was going to be for something of substance, rather than just making prettier renders. No disrespect to that aspect intended, it can be a huge pain to work out, I know. But it feels like shelving the story for literally over a year at this point just to make chapter 3 look nicer or whatever is a sign of misplaced priorities when the game has yet, to my knowledge, introduced any meaning to the various stats the game has, or given the player a chance to do anything besides continue down a very narrowly tailored pathway.

It still blows my mind that this game has a kidnapping plot (two actually) and several assassination attempts (and one success), but we still haven't really had any moments where we have to try and figure things out, or deduce if someone is lying, or anything like that.

About two years ago, I made a couple comments in this thread talking about the frustrations I have with the game's design, pacing, and priorities, and I haven't seen any real signs of improvement. Granted, that's because of a year apparently dedicated to making revisions, but I'm doubtful that those revisions are about anything beyond maintaining visual continuity between prior chapters and the future ones.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

Kirel

Mar 18, 2018
What's this about every romance can be dangerous? This a a harem game no? I want all the romanceble girls
It means that not all the ladies will get along in the harem, because some of them really don't like each other. Also, it's possible that a romanceable lady could betray you, if you're not careful, whether she's in the harem or not.

Last edited:

Craigdon97

May 27, 2022
It means that not all the ladies will get along in the harem, because they really don't like it each other. Also, it's possible that a romanceable lady could betray you, if you're not careful, whether she's in the harem or not.
So I can't really have all the girls then?

YuNobi1

Aug 9, 2021
So I can't really have all the girls then?
Depends what you mean. Thus far there have been 2 instances where you are adding a lady to your harem, but you have to pick between one of 2 options (Dinah/Diana, Helen/Tulia). And although animosity will play out between certain harem members (Flora-Estrid) this does not cause you to lose anyone, and Anna pretty much encourages "you're safe, nothing bad will happen to you, my chosen, so go catch 'em all."

Craigdon97

May 27, 2022
Depends what you mean. Thus far there have been 2 instances where you are adding a lady to your harem, but you have to pick between one of 2 options (Dinah/Diana, Helen/Tulia). And although animosity will play out between certain harem members (Flora-Estrid) this does not cause you to lose anyone, and Anna pretty much encourages "you're safe, nothing bad will happen to you, my chosen, so go catch 'em all."
just what i wanted to hear, thanks

3.90 star(s) 81 Votes