Fegar

Nov 15, 2017
Come on dude, its not like they are getting 9k (probably more like 6k after uncle patreon takes there cut) a month to add text and commission art for this game.
They're a small starving indie company who work hard. They couldn't possibly wait till the last minute to do things.
well 8.8k TQ patreon + 4.9k DQ patreon + probably more than 2.5k on subscribestar = 16.2k a month

jazzlix07

Oct 27, 2018
I was reading over the changelist and it seems so small. Is this literally all we get after waiting like 4 months? I wish I could just give $60, the price of a brand new AAA game, and just have access to all future TQ updates. I hate this "games as a service" thing that the dev is doing where you have to have a subscription to receive new content at any acceptable rate.

baltic1284

Apr 27, 2019
What is sad is that the game itself isn't really that good a lot of the character art doesn't show all of the transformation and such and the maps themselves become very repetitive and the graphics are pretty bad as far as in game itself not worth the mopney value the game is asking for when there is so much to do and instead of fixing those issues and making all art apear in all aspects of the game they add more content instead.

shaeshan

Aug 24, 2017
Don't get me started on how shitty subscriptions to game development is for the consumer. I can somewhat see it for projects that have an end date, but for something like TQ you could have given Aika 20$ a month for 4 years and the second you stop supporting you lose all access. If TQ had a full access forever for 60$ I'd have paid it by now.

It's been like that with all the new graphics options. They stay in Alpha until they have "enough" content and once they're mostly fleshed out they get released to public. It was just moved from Alpha to Beta in the patch notes though so Soon™ everyone should be able to download it without paying.

I forked over 5$ for the Clothing Window. Feel free to ping me if there's a hot fix and I'll try and upload the newest version as soon as I see it. Can't help with the Alpha Unlocker but tbh not much was added to Alpha this patch so it's hardly worth it anyway as commands and all old Alpha content should be unlocked with last Alpha Unlocker. (If it's uploaded before the end of this month. Not paying for July too.)

Clothing File:
Mega
Thank you for your sacrifice.

redmagebr

Oct 12, 2016
I was reading over the changelist and it seems so small. Is this literally all we get after waiting like 4 months? I wish I could just give $60, the price of a brand new AAA game, and just have access to all future TQ updates. I hate this "games as a service" thing that the dev is doing where you have to have a subscription to receive new content at any acceptable rate.
Patreon is not for subscription, Patreon is meant for "I like this person and I want them to keep doing their thing, so I will give them money, so that they can keep doing their thing".

You are supposed to remove your pledge at any time you don't feel like you're getting your money's worth. But the main thing about all of these patreons is the direct contact with the creator - you are their patron, anyway. You can ask for specific things and give direction to development. Like was done in this game! Diaper Quest is essentially the will of the patrons manifested.

But keep in mind that this game was designed in something that isn't meant for games like this (Inform7), plus there were big mistakes early on in development that will just make the game harder and harder to maintain, develop, and even play. Inform7 is really easy when making simple games, but there are pitfalls when developing bigger games which will cause exponential lag - for instance, if the way alternative names for things was done wasn't the right way (and I imagine it wasn't, because the "right way" is very restrictive), this results in Inform7 running any code like that for every single object in the game, which would mean that any time you add a new object, you just make everything in the game lag due to the alternate name code being ran for them too, and any time you add a new alternate name, it will run for every single object in the game.

There are (limited) ways of preventing these issues, but it is far too late now. I imagine Aika isn't doing much not because of laziness or anything, but just because the game has gotten to such a massive size that merely compiling it might be taking half an hour - imagine doing that to test every feature. For a text game.

Progress should be sped up if the game is ever recoded in some other engine, which I believe was the goal at some point (were they talking about Java? idk). imo a custom-built in HTML5 can be intentionally made as close as possible to I7 such that it'd be quick to port things over with near 1:1 code, with next to zero time wasted compiling, and maintaining support to all platforms people might currently be playing at, maybe even adding a few more to the list since HTML5 runs on everything.

Anyway, if you're not happy with the artist you're providing patronage, you can just stop. You are not paying for the game, that's not the point of Patreon. You are supporting an artist you enjoy the work of, and you're supposed to stop as soon as that is no longer the case.

Reactions: Sunshaded

CursedMay

Jun 13, 2017
Patreon is not for subscription, Patreon is meant for "I like this person and I want them to keep doing their thing, so I will give them money, so that they can keep doing their thing".

You are supposed to remove your pledge at any time you don't feel like you're getting your money's worth. But the main thing about all of these patreons is the direct contact with the creator - you are their patron, anyway. You can ask for specific things and give direction to development. Like was done in this game! Diaper Quest is essentially the will of the patrons manifested.

Anyway, if you're not happy with the artist you're providing patronage, you can just stop. You are not paying for the game, that's not the point of Patreon. You are supporting an artist you enjoy the work of, and you're supposed to stop as soon as that is no longer the case.
Shame Games sells a product. As long as access is being sold it isn't just "supporting an artist". There is a specific reward granted by each tier of their Patreon for a reason.

Yes, we could all have waited two years to use the clothing window, but we would like to use it. Shame Games sells access to it. The Clothing Window is a product and Shame Games uses it as such, and the only way to get access to it is through subscription.

This is why I mentioned a price for full access that's higher than the rate as an alternative for something a lot more consumer friendly, but very few subscription based developers offer this.

Reactions: FFFFFACK

boosterenergy

Mar 6, 2022
Don't get me started on how shitty subscriptions to game development is for the consumer. I can somewhat see it for projects that have an end date, but for something like TQ you could have given Aika 20$ a month for 4 years and the second you stop supporting you lose all access. If TQ had a full access forever for 60$ I'd have paid it by now.

It's been like that with all the new graphics options. They stay in Alpha until they have "enough" content and once they're mostly fleshed out they get released to public. It was just moved from Alpha to Beta in the patch notes though so Soon™ everyone should be able to download it without paying.

I forked over 5$ for the Clothing Window. Feel free to ping me if there's a hot fix and I'll try and upload the newest version as soon as I see it. Can't help with the Alpha Unlocker but tbh not much was added to Alpha this patch so it's hardly worth it anyway as commands and all old Alpha content should be unlocked with last Alpha Unlocker. (If it's uploaded before the end of this month. Not paying for July too.)

Clothing File:
Mega
How do i use the Clothed version?
I started TQ Launcher v1.1.1.1 and imported the downloaded file as a Patreon import. What do I do next?

EDIT: Nvm just had to open the file with GIT instead

Last edited:

crap

Oct 8, 2017

But keep in mind that this game was designed in something that isn't meant for games like this (Inform7), plus there were big mistakes early on in development that will just make the game harder and harder to maintain, develop, and even play. Inform7 is really easy when making simple games, but there are pitfalls when developing bigger games which will cause exponential lag - for instance, if the way alternative names for things was done wasn't the right way (and I imagine it wasn't, because the "right way" is very restrictive), this results in Inform7 running any code like that for every single object in the game, which would mean that any time you add a new object, you just make everything in the game lag due to the alternate name code being ran for them too, and any time you add a new alternate name, it will run for every single object in the game.

There are (limited) ways of preventing these issues, but it is far too late now. I imagine Aika isn't doing much not because of laziness or anything, but just because the game has gotten to such a massive size that merely compiling it might be taking half an hour - imagine doing that to test every feature. For a text game.

Progress should be sped up if the game is ever recoded in some other engine, which I believe was the goal at some point (were they talking about Java? idk). imo a custom-built in HTML5 can be intentionally made as close as possible to I7 such that it'd be quick to port things over with near 1:1 code, with next to zero time wasted compiling, and maintaining support to all platforms people might currently be playing at, maybe even adding a few more to the list since HTML5 runs on everything.

Time for some TQ history:

Aika of the source to this repo: which is updated a while after each release (as of this post, it's still on r13 v7). I don't know much about Inform7 but a dev of it in 2018 when TQ ran into some engine issues, in part due to it being a bloated mess. Regarding rewriting the game in a new engine, Aika did a Q&A where their answer was:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So there's that. They also talked about rewriting the engine - right before their contact w/ the Inform dev - where the answer was similarly negative, though a bit more optimistic (realistic?) on the time estimate. Note that the answer in the Q&A was given before Aika started posting the source. Now that the source is (mostly) available, basically anyone could take a crack at rewriting it, if they were so inclined. There's also the question of whether the contributors (including Aika) would be willing & able to learn a new engine (& possibly new language) to develop on the rewrite.

Pogo123

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2019
hm... the girls look nice in the first pic would try out the strateg version but no download link is working

Yotsuyu

Nov 2, 2017
I have no problems with the game itself. However, the plethora of incomplete versions definitely turns me off of the game. Whether its danume, strateg, clothing, etc they all are horrendoulsy underdeveloped and seemingly abandoned. Gimmicky even. Would be so much better if they actually incorporated ALL the features the game has to offer.

Reactions: anon1010

Fegar

Nov 15, 2017
is there a more up to date strateg version of the game Im a little confused how you got the version you have because it seem newer than what is on this website or what you can get with the launcher
the downloads on page 1 are old versions. the strateg version is free and avaiable on the developer website Trapquest.com.

here is a direct link to
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

3.40 star(s) 25 Votes