cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
M1 macbook can't run this game
My condolence that you bought the new M1 MacBook. If you can return it, you should do it. The new M1 MacBooks are well-known to be shit with less software running on it than on the old Intel-based books.

The game engine NW.js doesn't support ARM based processors yet, that's why the game and the plugins crash when you try to launch the game. However, here are some options you can try:
- Try to launch the game via your browser using "index.html" file (inside the resources folder (right click -> show package content)).
-> Try the new NW.js engine build for ARM: Download from here
-> Sign up on NLT's patreon page and get access to the web-based version (stream-to-play; saves are then stored as cookies then.)
-> Get a cheap laptop and install Linux.

Good Luck.
is there any way to check in what version i have the game? or can i just download the latest update only even if i say i have ver 71something
Click on the crystal ball and check the bottom; there you will find the game version.

If you have v71... already either download all update-only files from 71...to 87... and manually apply the updates in chronically order or better download the last full build v87061.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
My condolence that you bought the new M1 MacBook. If you can return it, you should do it. The new M1 MacBooks are well-known to be shit with less software running on it than on the old Intel-based books.

The game engine NW.js doesn't support ARM based processors yet, that's why the game and the plugins crash when you try to launch the game. However, here are some options you can try:
- Try to launch the game via your browser using "index.html" file (inside the resources folder (right click -> show package content)).
-> Sign up on NLT's patreon page and get access to the web-based version (stream-to-play; saves are then stored as cookies then.)

Good Luck.

Click on the crystal ball and check the bottom; there you will find the game version.

If you have v71... already either download all update-only files from 71...to 87... and manually apply the updates in chronically order or better download the last full build v87061.
I feel sorry for all the non-computer literate people who are gonna be conned into buying this glorified placemat by Apple, only to discover it doesn't run anything. I've already warned my family members not to buy them for the foreseeable future.
I am moving the game to a new computer, how can I move the files where the saved game is?
The saves are stored in the directory %:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\User Data on Windows. You can safely copy that whole directory to the new PC. If you're on another OS I'm not sure where to find it but I'm sure it'll be in some similar temp/local storage directory.

Reactions: cold_arctus

Rule97

May 2, 2018

[/QUOTE]

Thanks were could i find the crystal ball?i dont remember

Edit: nevermind, it was the soul crystal right?

Rumplepuss

Aug 28, 2020

Good Luck.

He could try installing a Ubuntu based Linux in a virtualising/emulating environment (like UTM, Virtual Box or VMWare) on his MacBook and try running ToN using that. I can't say whether this is possible or not because I've never done it or know of anybody who has done it but it might worth a try. (You can run ToN on Linux emulating Windows using Wine, probably the hardest and one of the worst ways to do this but is factually possible.) I can't really talk authoritatively about Apple since I don't use its overpriced hardware and software but perhaps some Apple aficionado reading these words might care to pipe up and set everybody straight about RPG Maker games, virtual machines and Apple tec.

Last edited:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
He could try installing a Ubuntu based Linux in a virtualising/emulating environment (like UTM, Virtual Box or VMWare) on his MacBook and try running ToN using that. I can't say whether this is possible or not because I've never done it or know of anybody who has done it but it might worth a try. (You can run ToN on Linux emulating Windows using Wine, probably the hardest and one of the worst ways to do this but is factually possible.) I can't really talk authoritatively about Apple since I don't use its overpriced hardware and software but perhaps some Apple aficionado reading these words might care to pipe up and set everybody straight about RPG Maker games, virtual machines and Apple tec.

The problem isn't Apple's current OS but the processor architecture.

There is a fork of Wine in development that would allow to run Win64/32 application on arm64 Linux systems, but not on Apple Silicon aka M1 chips.

M1 users are pretty much fucked right now.

Rumplepuss

Aug 28, 2020
The problem isn't Apple's current OS but the processor architecture.

There is a fork of Wine in development that would allow to run Ubuntu are pretty good updating their kernels to CPUs. Win64/32 application on arm64 Linux systems, but not on Apple Silicon aka M1 chips.

M1 users are pretty much fucked right now.
Like I said I don't know much about Apple products, mostly because of their cost in the country where I live. I am kind of surprised that you can't dual-boot Ubuntu, say, with any Apple OS and CPU architecture, since Ubuntu are usually quick to update their kernels in respect to CPUs, or that there isn't a MacOS version of NW.js which might run ToN on Apple computers no matter what CPU. I suppose it would be possible to run ToN, like a website, locally, in a browser via the game's index file. Firefox still allows you to do this I believe, or, failing that run the game like a website locally using a web server: The trouble with this is that saves from the game are kept in the browser's cache and get lost when you clear the cache by accident or design, which is pretty much inevitable if you also use the browser to access the web.

All this difficulty caused by something that should be dead simple makes me glad that I use Linux installed on a decent tried and tested second-hand PC clone made from off the shelf components. Never crashes, does the business, never lets me down. Why pay big bucks for something inferior when you can get something much better for free?

Open source goddamn rules the roost!

Last edited:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Like I said I don't know much about Apple products, mostly because of their cost in the country where I live. I am kind of surprised that you can't dual-boot Ubuntu, say, with any Apple OS and CPU architecture, since Ubuntu are usually quick to update their kernels in respect to CPUs, or that there isn't a MacOS version of NW.js which might run ToN on Apple computers no matter what CPU. I suppose it would be possible to run ToN, like a website, locally, in a browser via the games index file. Firefox still allows you to do this I believe, or, failing that run the game like a website locally using a web server: The trouble with this is that saves from the game are kept in the browser's cache and get lost when you clear the cache by accident or design, which is pretty much inevitable if you also use the browser to access the web.

All this difficulty caused by something that should be dead simple makes me glad that I use Linux installed on a decent tried and tested second-hand PC clone made from off the shelf components. Never crashes, does the business, never lets me down. Why pay big bucks for something inferior when you can get something much better for free?

Open source goddamn rules the roost!
I think you are mixing OS and cpu architecture here.

Of course you can install dual-boot on your MacBook but you have to install the correct OS based on the computer's CPU. Means, on a ARM CPU you must install an ARM-based OS. But you can't install a amd/intel-based OS on a ARM system. It would be the same as mixing gasoline and diesel engines.

There are possible ways to play ToN on Apple ARM MacBooks using Electron.js (seems to be similar to NW.js). But I'm not familiar with that.
1623425640139.png

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018

Good Luck.

Mactrash and all that fun, but his screenshot still looks like he's trying to play an update-only without the base game. But Mactrash being itself, dunno

Rumplepuss

Aug 28, 2020
I think you are mixing OS and cpu architecture here.

Of course you can install dual-boot on your MacBook but you have to install the correct OS based on the computer's CPU. Means, on a ARM CPU you must install an ARM-based OS. But you can't install a amd/intel-based OS on a ARM system. It would be the same as mixing gasoline and diesel engines.

They are possible ways to play ToN on Apple ARM MacBooks using Electron.js (seems to be similar to NW.js).
View attachment 1240976
I think I must have got the idea that it was possible to do from based on articles like this:

My assumption that an arm64 version of Linux was available was presumptuous but I was convinced there was one. :unsure:

Apple remains a forbidden fruit as far as I am concerned. :)

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 510 Votes