Aug 18, 2017
If using the JavaScript version save then you can use the W.I.P Save Editor:
(it's a bit buggy but you can edit your character with it)
To download -
Browser -
Oh well that's useful as hell, didn't realize they'd gotten a functioning page up and running already

ixcez

Nov 26, 2018
Here's a download of the latest version 0.69.420-BACKERS#1910

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Nice looks like this version at least with my quick check fixed at least some of the going back to start menu bug. Now I can finally put my dick into the gloryhole and not just work in it xD

Reactions: Lolicon Kami

Jamboxxx

May 11, 2020
Debatably, one of the only reasons Java isn't among the list of things its killed is because Minecraft was written in Java.
Please for the love of god tell me you don't seriously believe this??? That's the most brain-dead take I've ever heard lol. has ~35% of devs using Java, it is literally one of the biggest/most used languages out there, especially in back end. There is no way in hell Oracle are going to kill what's probably their most important project lmao. You really think minecraft is the reason it hasn't gotten killed? Get real lol

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
Please for the love of god tell me you don't seriously believe this??? That's the most brain-dead take I've ever heard lol. has ~35% of devs using Java, it is literally one of the biggest/most used languages out there, especially in back end. There is no way in hell Oracle are going to kill what's probably their most important project lmao. You really think minecraft is the reason it hasn't gotten killed? Get real lol
Ah yes, give me 2021 data for a 2010 issue. Perfect. Excellent work. A decade ago (you know, when Minecraft splashed big) Java was on a downward trend with all sorts of articles about how it would die or get phased out because it was no longer suitable for enterprise development. It was still perfectly good for such things as a language and was facing active widespread use, but bad press in financial newsletters influences corporate decisions and it was the start of a very familiar trend that could have led Java to its untimely demise. Coincidentally, in the early 2010s a strange little blocky game made in the same language rocketed to the forefront of public consciousness, burying any bad press the language was receiving.

Edit: Just to clarify, Java was at the time and still remains today one of the most popular programming languages on the market. That said, it's continued on its downward trend and is notably less popular and less used relative to other languages compared to where it sat in the past. (That is not to say it is unpopular, rather it is to say that it no longer enjoys a clear and truly ridiculous lead over other languages, and by some metrics is no longer the most popular.) By the TIOBE index, its lowest point in the last twenty years was actually in 2018. And it is owned, updated, and developed by Oracle as a for-profit project where they make money on enterprise usage and support. While my commentary about Minecraft specifically was exaggerated, it is not an exaggeration to assume that Java could well have died without major public projects such as Minecraft keeping it both relevant and appealing to Oracle. Projects that buried a press trend before it could commit irreparable damage via uneducated decisions by upper management.

Last edited:

Jamboxxx

May 11, 2020
Ah yes, give me 2021 data for a 2010 issue. Perfect. Excellent work. A decade ago (you know, when Minecraft splashed big) Java was on a downward trend with all sorts of articles about how it would die or get phased out because it was no longer suitable for enterprise development. It was still perfectly good for such things as a language and was facing active widespread use, but bad press in financial newsletters influences corporate decisions and it was the start of a very familiar trend that could have led Java to its untimely demise. Coincidentally, in the early 2010s a strange little blocky game made in the same language rocketed to the forefront of public consciousness, burying any bad press the language was receiving.
Okay done a bit more reading into it as I wasn't in the industry at the time, can't really find a whole lot about Java dying or being dead but sure, I'll take your word for it. Your argument is still dumb. You claim Oracle were going to kill Java in 2010 right? You mean... the year they bought it in ? A deal worth ~$7 billion, yeah I can totally see them buying it and killing it immediately until they saw how successful Minecraft was.

Besides, enterprise has, is, and probably will always be Oracle's target area. Even if no new projects are ever started using Java, there is more than enough legacy code/applications out there to make a pretty penny on licensing, hell they could stop all development of the language and still probably rake in money for decades. Remind me again how everyone has stopped using COBOL because it's old? Oh... wait ;)

Uncle Iroh

Jun 15, 2017
Quick question: How scuffed is the save system for the html/javascript version of this game? Do the saves corrupt often between version updates?

I usually used the AIR version, but it doesn't seem to be supported anymore and my saves wont work on the html/javascript version; so I wanna know how scuffed the html/javascript saves are before I make the effort of creating a new character and doing the story again

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
Okay done a bit more reading into it as I wasn't in the industry at the time, can't really find a whole lot about Java dying or being dead but sure, I'll take your word for it. Your argument is still dumb. You claim Oracle were going to kill Java in 2010 right? You mean... the year they bought it in ? A deal worth ~$7 billion, yeah I can totally see them buying it and killing it immediately until they saw how successful Minecraft was.

Besides, enterprise has, is, and probably will always be Oracle's target area. Even if no new projects are ever started using Java, there is more than enough legacy code/applications out there to make a pretty penny on licensing, hell they could stop all development of the language and still probably rake in money for decades. Remind me again how everyone has stopped using COBOL because it's old? Oh... wait ;)
Nah. I didn't claim Oracle was going to axe it in 2010. They did, however, run a real risk of killing it by running it into the ground and making it undesirable and therefore largely unused. Let me clarify what it was like for Java in 2010:
  • Java is no longer inarguably the most popular programming language, both in terms of job numbers and usage data. This means people looking for a career in development no longer have it as a de facto #1 choice, and are doing research on whether they should learn Java (with its declining job postings), other languages, or both.
  • Oracle has just acquired Sun Microsystems and is in the midst of merger pains. This puts Java's future usability into question and leaves developers wary about using it for new codebases. Existing code will remain, obviously.
  • Oracle has just filed a lawsuit against Google, a tech giant among tech giants, specifically in relation to Java. This makes Java far less appealing for those in corporate upper management, because it now comes with an inherent risk of legal trouble.
Those three together create a perfect storm where Java had a real risk of a rapid decline into legacy usage only. Much like COBOL is a legacy language. Your zinger means nothing to the IRS and their mainframes. And legacy languages aren't worth active funding in development and specification upgrades like Java receives. With the future usability of Java up in the air, what happens next? Minecraft, which launched in 2009, started gaining in popularity and burst onto the stage. What does this do to the above?
  • Minecraft is an incredibly popular and profitable indie game in a time when indie games are making serious news and big bucks. This clearly and inarguably demonstrates that Java is useful not just at the enterprise level, but all the way down to the personal level of single-person projects and that there's clearly no reason not to learn it.
  • Minecraft is a new, large codebase being actively written in Java, and its stunning popularity provides a counterpoint against fears that Java's unstable future development isn't worth the risk of new projects.
  • Mojang Specifications receives precisely zero attention or scrutiny from Oracle, clearly demonstrating that the lawsuit against Google is not a sign of a general trend but rather a specific claim of infringement. Using Java as Java within the licenses provided is safe, and therefore of no worry to executives and lawyers.
Was Java at risk of dying in 2010? No, you can't kill an open source project. But it was at the precipice of a potentially very rapid descent, and Minecraft provided an oddly cohesive counterpoint to every concern anyone had about Java at the time. It would not be a stretch to assume what would eventually become the best selling videogame of all time did have an impact in helping stabilize Java at a very unstable part of its lifetime.

All that said, this isn't exactly the discussion we should be having on a thread about a javascript game focused on fucking around in deep space.

Last edited:

RNPA1

Dec 11, 2021
Quick question: How scuffed is the save system for the html/javascript version of this game? Do the saves corrupt often between version updates?

I usually used the AIR version, but it doesn't seem to be supported anymore and my saves wont work on the html/javascript version; so I wanna know how scuffed the html/javascript saves are before I make the effort of creating a new character and doing the story again
First: I and no one seemed to have a corrupted savefile (For what I know) in the JS port
Second: In the latest flash version there's a save import feature. Some people say that is broken so beware of that.
Third: The story is not even that long. Probably the longest part is when you are trying to use any TF items but that's mostly a test of patience more than anything else.

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
First: I and no one seemed to have a corrupted savefile (For what I know) in the JS port
Second: In the latest flash version there's a save import feature. Some people say that is broken so beware of that.
Third: The story is not even that long. Probably the longest part is when you are trying to use any TF items but that's mostly a test of patience more than anything else.
Most of the complaints I'm seeing about saves boil down to browser session handling because a different filename and/or file location are "different" websites and therefore get their own local data.

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes