Unity True Facials [v0.5 Pro] [HenryTaiwan]

3.90 star(s) 43 Votes

Molloke

Jan 23, 2020
Go into your Nvidia control panel and turn on vsync or limit the amount of frames to 60 for the game. Pretty sure if you turn on an FPS counter you're probably running like 100-200+ FPS.

View attachment 1744598
So I tried this, went to the NVIDIA Control Panel and did what you've suggested. I set this option to On and set a limit to 60 FPS. I also use the game option for Vsync + Limit Frame Rate at the bottom of the right-side panel.

It didn't change anything though. The GPU basically ramps up to 100% capacity for as long the as the application runs. The fans spin to max during all that time (part of the fan curve + temps, obviously they won't slow down if the temps are at a constant level).

I mean, it's not "dangerous", but it's not a sign of any optimizations. I wouldn't recommend running this game in a system that might have heat issues in a prolonged 'demanding' scenario (be it stress tests, highly demanding games, or unoptimized games or simulators and the likes). Even if a GPU (or a CPU) can run at high 'specified' temps, it's only safe to let that happen if the cooling solution is proper and the temps remain stable (high, perhaps, but stable and not constantly going up).

Now obviously this game is still in very early development and HenryTaiwan is not an army of developers, he's probably working alone and has a lot to do by himself. And this is related to optimizations surely. He should make sure that his application doesn't 'provoke' usage of 100% resources and hardware capabilities.

Essentially the real risks are:

1) Overheating.

If that does happen, it can potentially damage components (whatever in the system happens to overheat, motherboard stuff, GPU, Memory sticks, CPU, heck even Hard Drives), or - at the very least - it can produce errors, crashing and visual artifacts on the screen (if the GPU is the overheating component).

2) CPU Throttling.

If a CPU reaches the maximum thermal junction temps, it will 'normally' throttle to basically save itself. However, the 'action of' doing this throttling is an abrupt drop in CPU Voltage, which itself can crash applications if they happen to run when the throttling occurs. Example would be a CTD while playing a demanding game, but unbeknownst to the player the CPU just throttled and slows down to drop heat, but that caused the screen to freeze and followed itself by a crash to the desktop.

3) Obviously, fan noise.

Depends on people, and PC Case setups of course, but a 3-fans GPU like the RTX 3080 I have is quite audible when it's doing 100% work. The CPU fans are alright, in my case, nothing too loud regardless (Noctua fans are extremely silent in most scenarios). However I wouldn't imagine playing this game without headphones to help block out the fan noises coming from the tower, especially if it's an open side-panel tower setup.

Just Fair Warning: keep your temperatures in a safe spot when running this game (for now anyway).

So anyway, I'm just saying that this application as of now seems to simply use all of a GPU resources and make it work to its maximum capacity in a constant, non-stop manner. It's not a problem per se when a game - for example - does 'require' the GPU to ramp up a bit, but optimization means that the utilization of the maximum resources will be in a limited, controlled capacity with some pauses here and there. Just like modern CPUs that can boost themselves up, they do boost themselves on a PER-CORE manner (or a few cores at once), rather than a full-cores boost that would last for hours non-stop. There's always some cores that drop down, and the ones that dropped down are cooler than the others that are in demand, and there's a switching of power and boost doing back and forth between ones that can be solicited and ones that have been already but are too heated-up to boost again right away.

The 'issue' here with this game is that there's no pause in how much power is required out of the GPU. It merely goes to the max right away, asks 100% out of the card and never backs out even a tidbit from that. That's the issue, it needs to give the GPU some momentary rests in medium bursts here and there to keep the temps in check and slow down the FANs speeds to help reduce noise as well.

aesir150

Jul 5, 2017
Do you have a FPS counter to make verify the vsync or frame limit actually worked? You can add the game to Steam and turn on Steam overlay's FPS counter or use the Nvidia overlay.

I also play this game on a pretty low end gaming laptop with a i5-7300HQ and a laptop GTX 1050ti, so I only get like 20-30 FPS on average when playing the game so I am not sure how much horse power is required to run the game at 60 FPS. But overall the issues you are describing just sounds like issues with no frame limit in most games. Yeah the game isn't optimize especially when it comes to the cum physics since that tanks performance like crazy since that is really CPU heavy, but I can't imagine your 3080 is struggling that hard due to this game even if it is poorly optimize, since I would assume the game is way more CPU bottlenecked than GPU intensive.

Also try maybe limiting the game to just 30 FPS and see if that resolves your issues. Cause overall I don't think its worth the power, noise, and heat to play this game on high end hardware if it is maxing out your CPU and GPU while you are getting sub optimal performance since that seems like a big diminishing return for a game with no real need for super high FPS.

Last edited:

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
So I tried this, went to the NVIDIA Control Panel and did what you've suggested. I set this option to On and set a limit to 60 FPS. I also use the game option for Vsync + Limit Frame Rate at the bottom of the right-side panel.

It didn't change anything though. The GPU basically ramps up to 100% capacity for as long the as the application runs. The fans spin to max during all that time (part of the fan curve + temps, obviously they won't slow down if the temps are at a constant level).

I mean, it's not "dangerous", but it's not a sign of any optimizations. I wouldn't recommend running this game in a system that might have heat issues in a prolonged 'demanding' scenario (be it stress tests, highly demanding games, or unoptimized games or simulators and the likes). Even if a GPU (or a CPU) can run at high 'specified' temps, it's only safe to let that happen if the cooling solution is proper and the temps remain stable (high, perhaps, but stable and not constantly going up).

Now obviously this game is still in very early development and HenryTaiwan is not an army of developers, he's probably working alone and has a lot to do by himself. And this is related to optimizations surely. He should make sure that his application doesn't 'provoke' usage of 100% resources and hardware capabilities.

Essentially the real risks are:

1) Overheating.

If that does happen, it can potentially damage components (whatever in the system happens to overheat, motherboard stuff, GPU, Memory sticks, CPU, heck even Hard Drives), or - at the very least - it can produce errors, crashing and visual artifacts on the screen (if the GPU is the overheating component).

2) CPU Throttling.

If a CPU reaches the maximum thermal junction temps, it will 'normally' throttle to basically save itself. However, the 'action of' doing this throttling is an abrupt drop in CPU Voltage, which itself can crash applications if they happen to run when the throttling occurs. Example would be a CTD while playing a demanding game, but unbeknownst to the player the CPU just throttled and slows down to drop heat, but that caused the screen to freeze and followed itself by a crash to the desktop.

3) Obviously, fan noise.

Depends on people, and PC Case setups of course, but a 3-fans GPU like the RTX 3080 I have is quite audible when it's doing 100% work. The CPU fans are alright, in my case, nothing too loud regardless (Noctua fans are extremely silent in most scenarios). However I wouldn't imagine playing this game without headphones to help block out the fan noises coming from the tower, especially if it's an open side-panel tower setup.

Just Fair Warning: keep your temperatures in a safe spot when running this game (for now anyway).

So anyway, I'm just saying that this application as of now seems to simply use all of a GPU resources and make it work to its maximum capacity in a constant, non-stop manner. It's not a problem per se when a game - for example - does 'require' the GPU to ramp up a bit, but optimization means that the utilization of the maximum resources will be in a limited, controlled capacity with some pauses here and there. Just like modern CPUs that can boost themselves up, they do boost themselves on a PER-CORE manner (or a few cores at once), rather than a full-cores boost that would last for hours non-stop. There's always some cores that drop down, and the ones that dropped down are cooler than the others that are in demand, and there's a switching of power and boost doing back and forth between ones that can be solicited and ones that have been already but are too heated-up to boost again right away.

The 'issue' here with this game is that there's no pause in how much power is required out of the GPU. It merely goes to the max right away, asks 100% out of the card and never backs out even a tidbit from that. That's the issue, it needs to give the GPU some momentary rests in medium bursts here and there to keep the temps in check and slow down the FANs speeds to help reduce noise as well.
You are worrying way too much. Motherboards, RAM's and HDD's/SSD's can't even overheat. GPU's and CPU's will overheat if their cooling solutions(such as thermal paste and fans) don't work. If you are worried that much:
  1. Download & install MSI Afterburner(and RivaTuner that comes with it).
  2. Open MSI Afterburner(RivaTuner should automatically open as well).
  3. In RivaTuner, set "Framerate limit" for "Global" profile to "60".
  4. In RivaTuner, toggle "Show On-Screen Display" on.
  5. In MSI Afterburner, go to settings and "Monitoring" tab.
  6. Enable(click checkmarks) what you want to see while playing a game and make sure their "Show in On-Screen Display" setting is checked. I recommend enabling Framerate, GPU usage, GPU temperature, CPU temperature, CPU usage and RAM usage.
  7. If you want to show/hide osd in your screenshots there is a setting for it in MSI Afterburner. It is in the "On-Screen Display" tab.
  8. In MSI Afterburner, there's a temperature limit option for your graphics card in main window. I don't know if every card is compatible with it but I've used it during hot days and it worked well. You can try it as well but don't go extreme with it as it limits gpu's power and this may or may not have the potential to brick your gpu.
When you finished gaming you can close MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner should close as well. Framerate limit and other features of these two programs only work when they are open.

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
So much wrong in this statement, of course they can overheat, I suggest you do some more research on PC components.

That said yes he is worrying to much, this title will max your GPU but so what, if one has adequate cooling and decent case airflow then there is nothing to worry about.
Well, if you throw them into the sun yeah, duh. Everything can overheat if you want it but you need to go out of your way to do it. What I meant was they can't overheat under normal circumstances(like a daily use for gaming, video editing, photoshop, surfing etc.). But if you go out of your way for example tinker with voltage settings for any reason(overclocking comes to mind) it is easy to fry them. If you actually meant they can overheat from normal daily use I've never seen or heard anything like that in my life, must be a very rare thing.

aesir150

Jul 5, 2017
Well, if you throw them into the sun yeah, duh. Everything can overheat if you want it but you need to go out of your way to do it. What I meant was they can't overheat under normal circumstances(like a daily use for gaming, video editing, photoshop, surfing etc.). But if you go out of your way for example tinker with voltage settings for any reason(overclocking comes to mind) it is easy to fry them. If you actually meant they can overheat from normal daily use I've never seen or heard anything like that in my life, must be a very rare thing.
They actually do overheat under normal usage, they throttle heavily. I think it was Hardware Unbox that did a with the VRMs where they showed ASrock and a cheap Asus MOBO severely throttled performance due to VRMs overheating due to bad heat spreaders and thermal pads. Also its one of the reasons why its important to have good air flow in your case even if your CPU and GPU are hooked up to liquid coolers that transport the heat to radiators that directly blow out of the case.

Its an issue that we see more often in modern systems as we move towards air tower cpu coolers and liquid cooling rather than using stock coolers that use to blow area all around the CPU socket that cooled VRMs and RAM sticks.

That is why there are different level MOBOs for enthusiast and junk entry level boards for different tiers of CPUs and GPUs. Junk boards are for the low wattage CPUs that don't have intensive work loads, thats why they can get away with few power stages and VRM, and almost no heat sinks on the board. While enthusiast boards have heatsinks on almost every single component.

Also SSDs and HDDs also do overheat, old HDDs use to overheat all the time. Also here is an extreme example off an . Also that is why a lot of newer NVME SSDs are beginning to get heat spreaders on their NAND chips. But yeah the point is anything the is electrical can overheat when not provided adequate cooling or has bad power regulators.

For instance a lot of people think routers and modems can't over heat since they don't have fans in them, but in reality they are passively cooled by how the chassis is designed to vent heat from that top which causes the case to suck in cool air from the bottom. But if you lay them on the wrong orientation the passive cooling stops working.

Last edited:

Molloke

Jan 23, 2020
Guys guys, lol, please. It's ok.

I only gave a fair warning to users of this game. It's not 'worrying too much' like HomelZy05 said. I only described that this game - at least currently in its state of development - happens to use the GPU at 100% capacity all the time (without pause).

And, depending on your system setup, cooling setup and room temperatures (and some other factors like of course manual over-clocking on top of that and/or tempering with voltages and GPU Fan curves, etc) playing this game for a long period of time while the GPU runs at 100% + full fan speed non-stop can potentially cause over-heating situations.

Of course, only IF your cooling and overall system temps are bad to start with.

OBVIOUSLY, if your cooling is fine, nothing to worry about.

The 'warning' only applies to people potentially reading this and whom might not have been aware of the 100% GPU usage thing that this game provokes. If someone in the thread was to come here one day and say something like "Hey guys, I'm getting weird lines and dots on my screen with this game" then you'd know where to look at first (would be a very high probability that visual artifacts could be seen then).

Now, with all this said and then, warning is given, just check your temps and make sure your GPU can 'take' this game and you're fine, nothing to worry about.

Moving on!

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
It's not 'worrying too much' like HomelZy05 said. I only described that this game - at least currently in its state of development - happens to use the GPU at 100% capacity all the time (without pause).
You are describing any AAA game ever and even some indie titles.
There's nothing wrong with using it 100% all the time.
Hell ps4 games has been using it 100% all the time yet I've never saw someone bricking their console because they were playing games on it.
If you are that much worried just limit your fps dude and don't trust nvidia's control panel, I've found it doesn't work sometimes for god knows why.
That's why I wrote download other programs to verify if it is indeed working, if not you can use those program's own framerate limiter.
Pity you are rocking a rtx 3080(with 3 fans too)but too afraid to use its full potential because it might overheat.
Better don't use your pc at all because a power outage might happen and fry your pc when it is on.

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
So much wrong in this statement, of course they can overheat, I suggest you do some more research on PC components.

That said yes he is worrying to much, this title will max your GPU but so what, if one has adequate cooling and decent case airflow then there is nothing to worry about.
I've seen old motherboards blowing their VRM's in the past because they were fitted with CPU's they couldn't handle, and SSD's getting screwed on long writes because the laptop case had no conscern for airflow over anything besides CPU.
Everything can overheat even on a desktop tower, and the bad thing is that the stuff you don't expect to overheat will ofen not have a safety measurement so you won't even realise it unless you measure the part casing temperatures yourself

JhonLui

Jan 13, 2020
I've noticed that my GPU runs at 100% capacity and the fans spin to the max speed with this game. Fortunately the temps are maintained to a decent level (3 fans card, RTX 3080) but I wouldn't recommend playing this game for long sessions without pause for the GPU (and CPU as well). Make sure your temps are in the safe zone guys, just in case.
Just to know... what fps do u reach?
aaaand if you limit to 60fps it still runs 100%?

not suggesting, just thinkin'

Molloke

Jan 23, 2020
You are describing any AAA game ever and even some indie titles.
There's nothing wrong with using it 100% all the time.
Hell ps4 games has been using it 100% all the time yet I've never saw someone bricking their console because they were playing games on it.
If you are that much worried just limit your fps dude and don't trust nvidia's control panel, I've found it doesn't work sometimes for god knows why.
That's why I wrote download other programs to verify if it is indeed working, if not you can use those program's own framerate limiter.
Pity you are rocking a rtx 3080(with 3 fans too)but too afraid to use its full potential because it might overheat.
Better don't use your pc at all because a power outage might happen and fry your pc when it is on.
Ok I'm not sure why you're coming back to this, I was ready to move on. And did you wake up the wrong side of the bed today? You seem very triggered for something as simple as a discussion about temperatures with that last sentence, way to exaggerate the case. Sure I'll stop using my PC entirely to please you on a personal level, obviously I'll do that.

-_-

It's hot where I live, summer is coming, we have extreme humidity during the months of July and August (sometimes even June) and my room temp can easily reach upwards to 35ºC. So if my card runs at 100% then yes I must keep an eye on temperatures. It's just inherent to my situation. It's normal for me to point at this given my circumstances. Maybe you don't care about them, fair enough. But I gave my message to people in general here. You seem to be taking all of this personally, as if I only gave a fair warning about temps to you directly. I didn't.

Now, can you move on or ...?

Reactions: bogodit and Valath

Molloke

Jan 23, 2020
Just to know... what fps do u reach?
aaaand if you limit to 60fps it still runs 100%?

not suggesting, just thinkin'
So for the FPS I get about 82 to 85 (around there, it varies). That's in the Classroom with the default angle when the game starts. And that's 1440p resolution though (native screen res).

I did try to limit the FPS to 60 with the NV Control Panel and at first it didn't seem to work, but it does work now. I changed some Vsync settings though since last time, maybe that helped. I'm using VSync on 'Fast' now (was set to Off in the panel before).

However, yes, regardless of frames limited or not the GPU runs pretty much at 100%. I've seen 95% at the lowest, sometimes varies between 95% to 97%, and slowly goes up over a few minutes. It's about 98% to 99% for some time (maybe like 10 mins). And eventually it will reach 100% and it will stay there for as long as I let the game run.

As of now at 100% the GPU temps are ok, well within an acceptable range. But during summer I'll keep an eye on it (not just with this game mind you, but every others I play).

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
Ok I'm not sure why you're coming back to this, I was ready to move on. And did you wake up the wrong side of the bed today? You seem very triggered for something as simple as a discussion about temperatures with that last sentence, way to exaggerate the case. Sure I'll stop using my PC entirely to please you on a personal level, obviously I'll do that.

-_-

It's hot where I live, summer is coming, we have extreme humidity during the months of July and August (sometimes even June) and my room temp can easily reach upwards to 35ºC. So if my card runs at 100% then yes I must keep an eye on temperatures. It's just inherent to my situation. It's normal for me to point at this given my circumstances. Maybe you don't care about them, fair enough. But I gave my message to people in general here. You seem to be taking all of this personally, as if I only gave a fair warning about temps to you directly. I didn't.

Now, can you move on or ...?
Do whatever you want dude, idgaf.
GuYs Be CaReFuL tHiS gAmE mIgHt FrY yOuR Pc, BuRn DoWn YoUr HoUsE aNd KiLL yOu ToO.

3.90 star(s) 43 Votes