VN Ren'Py UC8 [v0.2.0.4] [Dark Griffin Games]

4.70 star(s) 10 Votes

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
Grif1001 - ever since I saw you were working on a VN I was looking forward to see what you'd do. Finally downloaded and started it a few minutes ago (presently paused in front of the theater for the transfer announcement).

Not being a patron or anything like that, please take this with a grain of salt, but, your flying UC8 animation is messing with me. o_O:LOL:

I think if it were twice as fast and did a half dozen rotations, or half as fast and did one rotation (full view as it passes center point) it would be "catchier". I don't have a clue how much of a PITA it is to do something like that in the first place, but it was just one of those silly things. I don't really know exactly why, but I felt compelled. :confused:

I do like the looks and feel and sound of everything else so far and look forward to getting into this. I'll also happily be back with the "good" when I'm done.:)

EDIT:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grif1001

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
There's a number of LOF tributes in the Prologue. Up comming will feature some Artemis tributes. digi.B even sent me a DJ Kink poster for Kayla's new room.
As I go through the Chapters/Episodes, I plan to throw in more tributes to other games as I can get permission from their Devs. Pretty sure that Royal Candy would be fine with a throw out to No More Money. Also hoping for permission to do tributes to Chasing Sunsets, My New Memories, and Where The Heart Is, among others, but this would obviously depend on permission from Stonefox, Killer7, and Cheeky Gimp.
I also plan to have a few cameos from characters from my own planed future games. In fact, the father of MC of my next game is the man who runs the parent company for University Cinemas and Forty Hills(the nice hotel chain in the prologue)

Well, back to work.

I'll just leave this here with no explanations...

1708089730871.png

• Red Heart
Reactions: Elhemeer and tslojr

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
Grif1001 - ever since I saw you were working on a VN I was looking forward to see what you'd do. Finally downloaded and started it a few minutes ago (presently paused in front of the theater for the transfer announcement).

Not being a patron or anything like that, please take this with a grain of salt, but, your flying UC8 animation is messing with me. o_O:LOL:

I think if it were twice as fast and did a half dozen rotations, or half as fast and did one rotation (full view as it passes center point) it would be "catchier". I don't have a clue how much of a PITA it is to do something like that in the first place, but it was just one of those silly things. I don't really know exactly why, but I felt compelled. :confused:

I do like the looks and feel and sound of everything else so far and look forward to getting into this. I'll also happily be back with the "good" when I'm done.:)

EDIT:
That flying UC8 animation is sort of a nod/tribute to the TV Show Big Bang Theory and their scene change animation. I am also playing with other options such as this one...

Reactions: ThorinKing

hav0c_2

Aug 30, 2021
Ok, So I just found this game today, and I LOVE it! I love the story, the dialogue and the character interactions. Then I read the forum, and am super impressed with how nicely everyone plays together (barring a few turds) but I can't wait to be a part of this community and seeing the story unfold going forward. GREAT job Grif1001 and good luck going forward!

• Red Heart

hav0c_2

Aug 30, 2021
Just went to subscribe on Patreon and you're not accepting new signups at this time??

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
There's a number of LOF tributes in the Prologue. Up comming will feature some Artemis tributes. digi.B even sent me a DJ Kink poster for Kayla's new room.
As I go through the Chapters/Episodes, I plan to throw in more tributes to other games as I can get permission from their Devs. Pretty sure that Royal Candy would be fine with a throw out to No More Money. Also hoping for permission to do tributes to Chasing Sunsets, My New Memories, and Where The Heart Is, among others, but this would obviously depend on permission from Stonefox, Killer7, and Cheeky Gimp.
I also plan to have a few cameos from characters from my own planed future games. In fact, the father of MC of my next game is the man who runs the parent company for University Cinemas and Forty Hills(the nice hotel chain in the prologue)

Well, back to work.

View attachment 3359279

• Red Heart

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
Just went to subscribe on Patreon and you're not accepting new signups at this time??
It is active now. I paused things for a while due to dealing with some stressful situations about the possible sale of the company I work for at my day job and the stress from that actually making me sick. I took about a week off from working on the game and I figured Id give the supporters some time off from paying since I took some time off from working on it during the evenings to get well. The work situation has resolved itself and the billing was due to start up again in a couple of days, but I went ahead and activated it today since you tried to subscribe.

Reactions: hav0c_2

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023

Well, back to work.

View attachment 3359279
Looks like the yet-to-be-met Tink is in a bit of a pickle, if I had to guess. ;)

Finished the prologue last night - all in one sitting, as I really got engrossed. Really enjoyed the tributes to LoF (Lexi, music, the shirt, BUNNY SLIPPERS!), and the other things that dropped. I like the approach to the chapter naming convention - one of my favorite eras of music. I look forward to the other things you noted and that you have already teased in the thread.

While we see stuff all the time from LoTR, Python, Princess Bride, and on and on, the fact that you paid tribute to Better Off Dead is absolutely next level!:LOL: I LOVED THAT MOVIE! First time I watched it was the year it came out - just before going on a ski trip with my HS youth group. I can quite literally close my eyes and see the people and the living room we were in as we watched it on VCR. (By the way, if you ever meet John Cusack and want to piss him off, tell him it was the best movie he ever made. :ROFLMAO:)

I'm really enjoying the quality of the writing and the story so far. As for the atmosphere, the lighting of the scenes is really good (maybe with the exception of Stacy's pubic region - tan lines?). The character facial expressions are quite emotive (which is a little different from a bunch of VNs) and they don't look like the characters I see on the other VNs I follow - that's a good thing, by the way. Your characters look more "normal" in many respects, rather than ultra-idealized.

Now, for some stuff you may want to look at before the next release (if no one has mentioned before, anyway).
Also, the final montage seems to assume you "Bang Bancroft" (one of my save names), even though I didn't in a couple of variants.

A couple of questions:
  • I searched, but didn't see any discussion of how "Karma", "Strong", etc. will ultimately impact the direction of the story - are serious repercussions planned for doing things like sleeping with Stacy and Bea rather than grabbing "karma"?
  • Again, I searched, but there seem to be five "achievements" at the end that didn't trigger. Are these just placeholders, or is there something for going sexless, and other esoteric "achievements" like "All Strong", "Max Karma" etc.? Probably do a speed run to see what I can find - I'm a bit of a completionist when that stuff is out there.

• Haha
Reactions: Elhemeer

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
Looks like the yet-to-be-met Tink is in a bit of a pickle, if I had to guess. ;)

Finished the prologue last night - all in one sitting, as I really got engrossed. Really enjoyed the tributes to LoF (Lexi, music, the shirt, BUNNY SLIPPERS!), and the other things that dropped. I like the approach to the chapter naming convention - one of my favorite eras of music. I look forward to the other things you noted and that you have already teased in the thread.

While we see stuff all the time from LoTR, Python, Princess Bride, and on and on, the fact that you paid tribute to Better Off Dead is absolutely next level!:LOL: I LOVED THAT MOVIE! First time I watched it was the year it came out - just before going on a ski trip with my HS youth group. I can quite literally close my eyes and see the people and the living room we were in as we watched it on VCR. (By the way, if you ever meet John Cusack and want to piss him off, tell him it was the best movie he ever made. :ROFLMAO:)

I'm really enjoying the quality of the writing and the story so far. As for the atmosphere, the lighting of the scenes is really good (maybe with the exception of Stacy's pubic region - tan lines?). The character facial expressions are quite emotive (which is a little different from a bunch of VNs) and they don't look like the characters I see on the other VNs I follow - that's a good thing, by the way. Your characters look more "normal" in many respects, rather than ultra-idealized.

Now, for some stuff you may want to look at before the next release (if no one has mentioned before, anyway).
Also, the final montage seems to assume you "Bang Bancroft" (one of my save names), even though I didn't in a couple of variants.

A couple of questions:
  • I searched, but didn't see any discussion of how "Karma", "Strong", etc. will ultimately impact the direction of the story - are serious repercussions planned for doing things like sleeping with Stacy and Bea rather than grabbing "karma"?
  • Again, I searched, but there seem to be five "achievements" at the end that didn't trigger. Are these just placeholders, or is there something for going sexless, and other esoteric "achievements" like "All Strong", "Max Karma" etc.? Probably do a speed run to see what I can find - I'm a bit of a completionist when that stuff is out there.
Love me some Better Off Dead, I try and watch it at least once every 6 months as it just makes me happy, lol. I almost set my lowest Patreon tier at $2 just because of that movie... "I want my two dollars!"

Yes, I am still finding various random typos. Thank you for sharing those. (and this is with spellchecker on! o_O)

I think I went with "demise" because It felt better to me with the emotional "haunting" idea that I was trying to portray and I didnt like the repetition of the "ing" that "haunting of their mother's passing" had. It felt weird to me, but that's just personal preferance honestly.

As for Bea and the final montage, I was hoping that how strong she comes on to you and Kayla's comments about her being a cougar would be enough to allow for the assumption that Bea occasionally battles her lonelyness with casual encounters even if the player turned her down, (because she does) but yes, it is much easier to reach that conclusion if you accept her advances.

Karma, Smart, Strong, and Suave will come into play more as the game progresses. The 3 "S" traits will only ever accrue points and depending upon if you have reached the point level or not, certain choices may be available or grayed out.
In the Prolouge, Karma only accrued, however in the future some actions/responces can give you negative Karma. Once the endgame begins, Karma will lock. During the endgame, the outcome of some options will vary depending on Karma. Negative Karma won't kill you, but it might keep you from getting the best possible result.

There will be no negative reprocussions for sleeping with anyone/everyone prior to choosing an end route (committing to one of the 7 LI's) After you commit to an end route there won't really be much SC content to worry about.

Endgame will start during Chapter 7, so there should be plenty of time for you to experiment before choosing a route.

At the end of the Prologue there are 12 possible achievements and 5 placeholders.

1708135545625.png
Also, in case you hadn't noticed, all of the Achievements are named after 80's and 90's movies.

Finally... The Pineapple will return in Chapter 1: Episode 1! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

1708135799993.png

4.70 star(s) 10 Votes