4.20 star(s) 33 Votes

m0us3r

Nov 28, 2020
Sorry for being late to the party and bringing this up again but your comparison is an oversimplification and the resulting conclusion sadly not sound.

Both JPEG as well as WEBP have image details they struggle with: JPEG suffers on hard borders of uniform color or small lines on uniform backgrounds, WEBP suffers on areas of small details like leaves on a tree or human skin. Given a modern encoder like the size difference between both formats on equally perceived quality is negligible and depending on image composition JPEG may still draw ahead. So the question still remains and it's answer isn't always WEBP.

That being said, I too second darkhound1's recommendation of using fixed quality WEBP over most JPEG encoders, CrimsonAxisStudio. Though if one tried to optimize for size as well as quality a structural-similarity-based approach using variable quality settings for each image would be the way to go. And while the process may sound rather daunting, it can be automated by tools like .

I actually did test this on a relatively new title last autumn which shipped both a PNG- as well as a JPEG-version (the latter with a quality setting of 90, iirc) on its first iterations:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thank you for an update. Some interesting food for thought.

I never thoought about it deeply, just used XnConvert (using cjpeg I believe), so with it can be different.

Still, with large images (like 1920x1080) smoothing over small details (like 1-2px) is not a bad thing, even reducing granularity of the renders. So with high quality settings, IMHO webp seems to be looking typically better for 3D CG. Unless maybe the image is kinda specific, like with many important small details...

Reactions: Hordragg

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
Thank you for an update. Some interesting food for thought.

I never thoought about it deeply, just used XnConvert (using cjpeg I believe), so with it can be different.

Still, with large images (like 1920x1080) smoothing over small details (like 1-2px) is not a bad thing, even reducing granularity of the renders. So with high quality settings, IMHO webp seems to be looking typically better for 3D CG. Unless maybe the image is kinda specific, like with many important small details...
I fully agree with you. As for images with important small details, portrait shots come to mind. Though it mostly may concern depictions of (im)perfections like wrinkles, vellus hair, or freckles.

Your kind reaction led me to hunt through my backups as I was fairly certain to also have done this on a prior version of this title:
tl;dr
By way of the above, the game could be shipped with png image quality while still having the files as small as the low quality jpeg version.

CrimsonAxisStudio, you made Kathryn's cross behave! And your render skills have much improved. I really like the direction you went with Jeni's scenes: the softer light, more detailed textures and above all her looks. Well done!

Edit: Added information on cwebp's performance with the recommended quality setting of 90. The gist of it: use it, it won't disappoint. And if you ever feel the need to shave off more of the size without sacrificing quality, give pio a try (or wait for widespread AV1 support).

Last edited:

CrimsonAxisStudio

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
I fully agree with you. As for images with important small details, portrait shots come to mind. Though it mostly may concern depictions of (im)perfections like wrinkles, vellus hair, or freckles.

Your kind reaction led me to hunt through my backups as I was fairly certain to also have done this on a prior version of this title:
tl;dr
By way of the above, the game could be shipped with png image quality while still having the files as small as the low quality jpeg version.

CrimsonAxisStudio, you made Kathryn's cross behave! And your render skills have much improved. I really like the direction you went with Jeni's scenes: the softer light, more detailed textures and above all her looks. Well done!

Edit: Added information on cwebp's performance with the recommended quality setting of 90. The gist of it: use it, it won't disappoint. And if you ever feel the need to shave off more of the size without sacrificing quality, give pio a try (or wait for widespread AV1 support).

Thanks for the good words. I've learned a bit after the 800 or 900 renders I've done for the game, especially about lighting. It's probably been my biggest pain point for awhile.

The Jpegs were a test, found some new info after that update and it's worked out better. I haven't ran through the conversions for everything yet, but I'm waiting until I finish the Jeni update before I dump some time into it.

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
We totally need a tag called "patreoncest". I don't mind at all that this game doesn't have family love and it seems to handle the "family of friends" well enough so far (but I am early in the game).

EDIT: note for developers that want us to actually read the text and remember it: When there's Top cleavage proudly presented right on top of the letters, few would read the letters. Same with perky asses. It takes me 3 re-reads to get the info in some renders. So... good work I guess? :) Just for future reference have the MC enjoy the view and then focus on the face or something.

Last edited:

CrimsonAxisStudio

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
We totally need a tag called "patreoncest". I don't mind at all that this game doesn't have family love and it seems to handle the "family of friends" well enough so far (but I am early in the game).

EDIT: note for developers that want us to actually read the text and remember it: When there's Top cleavage proudly presented right on top of the letters, few would read the letters. Same with perky asses. It takes me 3 re-reads to get the info in some renders. So... good work I guess? :) Just for future reference have the MC enjoy the view and then focus on the face or something.
Not sure what you mean by your first statement.

As far as cleavage on top of the letters, I've added a transparency option in the options menu so you can now make the text box more or less transparent, to get a better view. Whether this will solve your problem of being able to pay attention to the text, I don't know, but you'll get a better view of that juicy cleavage. :)

Also, the next update should be out by the end of the week. I'm finishing up the last scene and should have it all rendered out by tomorrow night, and then I'll need to do some bug testing and then release. I've also tried a different form of compression, which leads to much better image quality and about half it's uncompressed size.

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
Not sure what you mean by your first statement.

As far as cleavage on top of the letters, I've added a transparency option in the options menu so you can now make the text box more or less transparent, to get a better view. Whether this will solve your problem of being able to pay attention to the text, I don't know, but you'll get a better view of that juicy cleavage. :)
I won't be able to pay attention to the text and we all know that but if I was so interested on text, I would read a book. ;)

Just... don't put important info in juicy cleavage pics.

• Angry
Reactions: Ursus4321

Look-see

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2018
currently downloading but the Changelog has me worried cause it sounds like brnaching paths at the expense of another route.

not a big fan of the idea even less so on a harem game...anyways on the changelog im just like/ why cant MC go to party then when he returns he hears the crying and deals with the situation then. well once again im basing my opnion on changelog so after i play the new update i'll update my opinion.

Reactions: mofonistik

Pizzapockets

Jan 13, 2019
Man these are beautiful renders but the sex scene are so bad. You need to put in some descriptive text of what's going on. example the shower BJ no text describing her performing oral sex just a 2 frame animation that repeats for a minute how is anyone supposed to get off to that without descriptive text.

Reactions: kwiatos

Look-see

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2018
alright so after playing it the Harem tag might need to be dropped since its going more the way of a dating sim.

if it was to go Harem route another day would probably need to be added between the party/date choice and meeting up with dad. after that the Claudina bar date could happen right after the Jeni date. but yeah for me this update seems to solidify it as a dating sim game.

but yeah at this point i have to ask if this game is in fact a harem game or not? if its not thats ok i just dont wanna get invested in the story if its not.

also i think you should put the characters thoughts in parenthesis or something cause it kinda throws the dialogue off when you dont know when they're thinking something and when they're speaking out loud.

lastly someone mentioned describing a sex scene. i'll be honest i can go either way. for me if the scene was animated it would work just with that. but as it is i could go either way.

NoxLaw

Nov 11, 2020
I can choose who to go for right? I'm not forced into anything? I read something about joining the milf in a relationship with her friend or something and I'm not really into that.

Steppen Wolf

Dec 21, 2019
Another great update!

I really like the way the game goes... to choose what girl I want the most... Claudia ... yummy

Keep doing an astonishing game Dev

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TiffanyMonroe

JokerLeader

Former Legendary Game Compressor
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
Mar 16, 2019
Undercover Love [Episode 4] [Compressed]

Original Size Win/Linux: 1.91 GB
Original Size Mac: 1.88 GB

Compressed Size Win/Linux: 233 MB: -
Compressed Size Mac: 199 MB: -

Since this, an Adult Zone, drop a (y) to support my work as Compressor SLUT!

This compression is unofficial. Compressing process reduces image/audio/video quality and can break the game, be aware of that.

You can find all of my Walkthrough Mods content here:

Or you can:

4.20 star(s) 33 Votes