4.20 star(s) 125 Votes

doe50818

Apr 5, 2020
I agree that it's a bit pointless to make it the purpose of a game to click the right things off of a PDF sheet, but I like it even less to play "what was the developer thinking how things should go", then the choice I'm picking based on my gut feeling makes me end up with a different result than what I aimed for. There's a game where I dodged several attempts left and right by NPCs to get my character laid so I could end up with the character I picked from a screenshot before I even started playing the game, and it turned out that it didn't matter, I could have gotten laid every single time and I would've still ended up with her. If there is branching content I have to know background information to end up on the branch I want to end up on.

If you tell me not to worry about the points, I'm ditching the PDF, but if doing so I skip content I don't have to or end up with content I don't want to, it's more detrimental to my experience than the use of the aforementioned PDF sheet.

Like, I didn't accept Angel's deal, because I didn't want anyone to potentially find out later that I've been fooling around with her, lowering my chances with those other characters. Is there such a chance even planned? I wouldn't know without the PDF and reloading an earlier save to correct my screw-up is something that creates a break in my progression that's more "unnatural" than knowing the consequence of my choices ahead of time, engineering my progress to the end of an unbroken path.

Reactions: Aristos

gcjellyfish

Dec 14, 2019
I have no idea what CB's plans are. But I think it's premature to suggest that there's not going to be any difference resulting from refusing Olivia.

CB did say that the 'cum on the face' line appearing after refusing her was a bug that would be fixed when I mentioned it to him.

Of course, there are also 'bugs' that he says he's having trouble fixing that we all know are not bugs at all. So who knows, because as he also says:

I will lie to you
Regardless, it's possible that there are still consequences we don't yet know that may be effected by that choice. Yes, Angel plans to blackmail you regardless: but possibly the consequences of being eventually exposed might differ based on that choice. I'm not saying for sure that it will, but I'm just saying it's too soon to complain there is no variance in the outcome.

Reactions: Real Kreten

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
Also was upset that my decision to turn Olivia down meant absolutely nothing and Angel then decides to blackmail the MC with that information.
You haven't even hit lunchtime on the day after yet!
Like, I didn't accept Angel's deal, because I didn't want anyone to potentially find out later that I've been fooling around with her, lowering my chances with those other characters. Is there such a chance even planned? I wouldn't know without the PDF and reloading an earlier save to correct my screw-up is something that creates a break in my progression that's more "unnatural" than knowing the consequence of my choices ahead of time, engineering my progress to the end of an unbroken path.
That seems like such a sad way to play these games, though. Playing these VNs should be fun. You shouldn't have to sit there and wonder what my intentions are when you make a choice in the game. You are going to miss content based on your choices. If people want decisions that matter, then that's just the way it is - you'll see some content and miss other content. But you're going to end up with the girl (girls?) that you want if you're not some simpleton who says "no" to her. There's no wrong choice in Unleashed* - the choices will give you a different experience, but you're not going to break anything.

*There is one wrong choice in Unleashed:
I think the most important choice is if you choose the pineapple pizza.
Yes, Angel plans to blackmail you regardless: but possibly the consequences of being eventually exposed might differ based on that choice. I'm not saying for sure that it will, but I'm just saying it's too soon to complain there is no variance in the outcome.
Angel does not plan to blackmail you. She specifically told you she's not going to blackmail you several times.

Also, I hope no one's making any final judgment about Angel. She's had some bad influences on her life but she has her moments. Keep an open mind. :)

Davewatch

Jan 7, 2020
I think the most important choice is if you choose the pineapple pizza.
Sorry but if the world depended on it I could NOT choose the pineapple yuck, the only reason for a Walkthrough is to explore ALL paths so as not to miss any content but hey plough your own furrow and see where it takes you, it is after all the developers game and we are just along for the ride (and a peak into his/her imagination) It is about the journey not the destination that's the fun part after all.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: UncleVT

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Angel does not plan to blackmail you. She specifically told you she's not going to blackmail you several times.

Also, I hope no one's making any final judgment about Angel. She's had some bad influences on her life but she has her moments. Keep an open mind. :)
Sure have made judgement! She a babe and the best!

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
You haven't even hit lunchtime on the day after yet!
And? ;)

That seems like such a sad way to play these games, though. Playing these VNs should be fun. You shouldn't have to sit there and wonder what my intentions are when you make a choice in the game. You are going to miss content based on your choices. If people want decisions that matter, then that's just the way it is - you'll see some content and miss other content. But you're going to end up with the girl (girls?) that you want if you're not some simpleton who says "no" to her. There's no wrong choice in Unleashed* - the choices will give you a different experience, but you're not going to break anything.
That's how a lot of VN work. I've played enough where one wrong decision locks you out of a relationship with someone, or locks you into a relationship with someone, or ends with the MC alone. I try to avoid using walkthroughs and going with what I think the character would do. It's difficult in this game, so far, because the MC doesn't have much of a personality.

*There is one wrong choice in Unleashed:
I never was a pineapple on pizza person. Now in my ripe old age I've found that the salty and sweet taste of hot pizza with pineapple works on very rare occasions. No anchovies though, that shit is nasty.

I have no reason to believe you since you've warned us that you may lie to us. :)

Besides taking pictures, telling someone that you have those pictures, then offering them a deal, and then repeatedly saying you "totally" won't blackmail them doesn't make for a believable person. And, based on that, Angel is not even an option to me at this point. My MC is not going to be interested, unless you force us into having sex with her (as with the Olivia blowjob scene).

Reactions: erkper and doe50818

doe50818

Apr 5, 2020
That seems like such a sad way to play these games, though.
What's sad is when game developers require you to play this way, using a walkthrough as a guide to untangle their mess. Element 174 is a game like that (I might remember the number wrong). I've worked on budget reallocation requests that were easier to figure out than that walkthrough and that was a walkthrough, the explanation of the content.

If you say yours is clear and simple, and common sense needs to be the only thing I approach this game with, I will believe you, until I see evidence to the contrary.

doe50818

Apr 5, 2020
I don't understand, when the game developer required us to play using a walkthrough?
I've given you an example, in Element 174 you don't even get to meet certain characters if you are not at the right place at the exact right time. Good luck with not using a guide and trying to figure out how to meet a certain character on every occasion you need to get relationship points built up with them...

Jaun Karr

Mar 2, 2019
This is one game where I'm just along for the ride of where ever it takes me. That means playing it in different moods can take me on different paths.

Reactions: CarbonBlue

erkper

May 16, 2018
Playing these VNs should be fun. You shouldn't have to sit there and wonder what my intentions are when you make a choice in the game.
I absolutely agree with the first paragraph - playing these games should be fun. And if you do not find it fun to be "totally not blackmailed" but just told how bad things could happen to you if you don't do what someone wants, then...

Tell you what - I'll keep my mind just as open on Angel as she is open to not "totally not blackmailing" me.

Reactions: MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
This is one game where I'm just along for the ride of where ever it takes me. That means playing it in different moods can take me on different paths.
Most of the time I see it as an ant farm... I watch it from the outside and try not to care. But every once in awhile I forget and allow it push a button.

I absolutely agree with the first paragraph - playing these games should be fun. And if you do not find it fun to be "totally not blackmailed" but just told how bad things could happen to you if you don't do what someone wants, then...
Exactly!

Also don't tell us you will lie to us and then expect us to trust you... LOL

Tell you what - I'll keep my mind just as open on Angel as she is open to not "totally not blackmailing" me.
Nah, my mind is closed at this point. There are other people who aren't trying to "totally not blackmail" the MC.

Reactions: doe50818

erkper

May 16, 2018
Nah, my mind is closed at this point. There are other people who aren't trying to "totally not blackmail" the MC.
Honestly, I've only ever been interested in Maeve from the get-go anyways. Shannon and Angel's attitudes have rubbed me wrong from the very first scenes they were introduced. And I'm also not interested in MILF-y bottle fairies.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Honestly, I've only ever been interested in Maeve from the get-go anyways. Shannon and Angel's attitudes have rubbed me wrong from the very first scenes they were introduced. And I'm also not interested in MILF-y bottle fairies.
I'm a sucker for a redhead, especially one with my sense of humor. However, Maeve is my number 2 at this point. Not a fan of Olivia, or Angel, or Angel's trailer trash mom.

Grohal

Jul 27, 2019

Haha, yeah she totally sounded like a mobster coming into your business and telling you what MIGHT happen if you don't pay some protection money. Not that the mobster would have ANYTHING to do with that, but you know people find out... ähem things happen. :D

erkper

May 16, 2018
I'm a sucker for a redhead, especially one with my sense of humor. However, Maeve is my number 2 at this point. Not a fan of Olivia, or Angel, or Angel's trailer trash mom.
I mean, I've tried to keep my options open with all of them (except Angel's mom) just for the sake of future game development, but at this point I'm considering going back and playing a scorched earth path burning everyone but Maeve as quickly as possible. Then again, with the apparent meaninglessness of choices to this point, would it even matter?

Reactions: MrFriendly

doe50818

Apr 5, 2020
I'm the same way, except it was Shannon who got me interested (I'm a sucker for redheads‍), but my interest quickly shifted to Maeve. There is nothing wrong with how the other two characters are written, they are just simply not my type. The mere fact that I can say that shows how well this is written, because they have strong enough personalities on top of those 3D models to completely alter my perception about them and whoever was responsible for that has my utmost respect.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
About walkthroughs: If it isn't done by the developer, the walkthrough will NOT tell you what the result of any choice will be in some future release. All it can tell you is whether points (of whatever kind) have been gained or lost, and whether a variable has been set for a particular choice. In other words, it can help the player achieve something in a current release, but players are still on their own for anything in the future. Even those created by developers are unlikely to help a player very much for future releases. Developers are not stupid ... mostly ... and want to keep the suspense up for their next release; which is why they often end releases in cliffhangers.

Reactions: Aristos and UncleVT
4.20 star(s) 125 Votes