4.20 star(s) 125 Votes

Old Man Al

Jan 18, 2022

Hello, Patrons!
Good week!
I did a good amount of rendering this week and perhaps more importantly I got a lot of the little things either finished or starting to come together. Just in the past couple days, other than the usual DAZ that I use to make the renders, I've been using Photoshop, After Effects, Blender, Handbrake, along with a couple other minor animation programs that I ended up discarding. It's been quite the learning experience. It should all help future progress come along more smoothly.
Tier 2 and ups will get a Shannon preview render right after I post this, so stay tuned!
As always, when I know more I will let you all know. Thank you for your support!

-CarbonBlue

Kakato

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2017
Another one who'll eventually get abandoned sooner or later by the look of things. No matter how good a Dev can be, only a handful of them are good planners. That's a skill that more and more Devs are lacking now. I'm not trying to troll or do a personal attack Carbonblue but in all objectivity and as a constructive criticism, you are drowning in your own words.

You are a good Dev, but you need to work on your planning/scheduling skills.

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
Even the dev doesn't know what is going on.
I know exactly what's going on. I just don't have an exact estimate for when it will be complete, yet.
Another one who'll eventually get abandoned sooner or later by the look of things. No matter how good a Dev can be, only a handful of them are good planners. That's a skill that more and more Devs are lacking now. I'm not trying to troll or do a personal attack Carbonblue but in all objectivity and as a constructive criticism, you are drowning in your own words.

You are a good Dev, but you need to work on your planning/scheduling skills.
Constructive criticism is criticism that you can use to make one's self better. "Oh no it's gonna be abandoned!" isn't really constructive, especially when I am putting in 12+ hour days working on an apparently abandoned project. Neither is "you are drowning in your own words" which I don't even know what that means. Please don't take that as asking for an explanation because it honestly doesn't matter.

1. Shit's taking too long, absolutely, I agree. That doesn't make it come out faster.
2. People here are just going to cry, "that was it!? it took 10 months for this?!" when it comes out anyways, so I may as well take my time and get the update out as I want it.
3. Oh Long Johnson. Oh Don Piano.

Fap2766

Sep 17, 2020
I know exactly what's going on. I just don't have an exact estimate for when it will be complete, yet.

Constructive criticism is criticism that you can use to make one's self better. "Oh no it's gonna be abandoned!" isn't really constructive, especially when I am putting in 12+ hour days working on an apparently abandoned project. Neither is "you are drowning in your own words" which I don't even know what that means. Please don't take that as asking for an explanation because it honestly doesn't matter.

1. Shit's taking too long, absolutely, I agree. That doesn't make it come out faster.
2. People here are just going to cry, "that was it!? it took 10 months for this?!" when it comes out anyways, so I may as well take my time and get the update out as I want it.
3. Oh Long Johnson. Oh Don Piano.
Over a year ago now, you said on your Patreon " While working on 0.5v2 I should also mention that I am trying to multi-task as efficiently as possible and I have 0.5v3 mostly written and planned out. That should lead to a significantly faster update and I'll be able to start rendering on that as soon as I finish 0.5v2. "

I post on here rather than Patreon because the community is a lot larger. You don't owe anyone anything but you can see when you do post stuff that is clearly nonsense why credibility goes out the window? I like and support your work but please just stop with the BS updates. If it takes a year to do a short update it is what it is.

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
Over a year ago now, you said on your Patreon " While working on 0.5v2 I should also mention that I am trying to multi-task as efficiently as possible and I have 0.5v3 mostly written and planned out. That should lead to a significantly faster update and I'll be able to start rendering on that as soon as I finish 0.5v2. "

I post on here rather than Patreon because the community is a lot larger. You don't owe anyone anything but you can see when you do post stuff that is clearly nonsense why credibility goes out the window? I like and support your work but please just stop with the BS updates. If it takes a year to do a short update it is what it is.
6 months ago he said this in a Patreon post. September 24th.

Writing - 99%
Rendering - 95%
Animation - 95%
We're probably looking at around 2 weeks left

So either its a lie or a severe underestimation of whats left or severe overestimation of whats been done. Not saying he is lying, but I've been on here long enough to see devs go from 3-4 updates per year to getting a good amount of money on Patreon then the release dates are consistently delayed/excuses made up and the releases go to 1 per year all the while still collecting each month.

I do hope he is not lying, but I've been jaded before by devs.

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
6 months ago he said this in a Patreon post. September 24th.

Writing - 99%
Rendering - 95%
Animation - 95%
We're probably looking at around 2 weeks left

So either its a lie or a severe underestimation of whats left or whats been done.
That was right before he was hospitalized with covid and I think he came back an completely reworked everything he already had, because he was dissatisfied with it. I know he redid quite a few of the animations he had already finished and he also added quite a few more.

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
That was right before he was hospitalized with covid and I think he came back an completely reworked everything he already had, because he was dissatisfied with it. I know he redid quite a few of the animations he had already finished and he also added quite a few more.
Ok, so he reworked everything. Thats fair. I wasn't hating on Carbon, just to be clear, but like I said in my other post, I've seen one too many devs do this so my outlook might be a bit pessimistic.

Reactions: kerriwm25

Fap2766

Sep 17, 2020
I'm not hating on Carbon or anyone else either. All I ask is that devs just play it straight. I couldn't do what devs do, so if it takes a year or more to produce a VN, so be it. Clearly, some have been incredibly successful and make a living from it, others less so and/or just do it for the love of it.

There are definitely some milkers on here/Patreon/Subscribestar (no names mentioned) and the mugs are the ones who keep paying in the vain hope something new will come along. I'm lucky enough I don't even notice the payments that go out each month for Patreon support and if nothing is forthcoming, I'll eventually say fuck it and cancel. But I don't think its unreasonable for devs to be open and honest. Personally, Id rather have my integrity than a few extra $$ a month by stringing people along who enjoy your work.

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
I'm not hating on Carbon or anyone else either. All I ask is that devs just play it straight. I couldn't do what devs do, so if it takes a year or more to produce a VN, so be it. Clearly, some have been incredibly successful and make a living from it, others less so and/or just do it for the love of it.

There are definitely some milkers on here/Patreon/Subscribestar (no names mentioned) and the mugs are the ones who keep paying in the vain hope something new will come along. I'm lucky enough I don't even notice the payments that go out each month for Patreon support and if nothing is forthcoming, I'll eventually say fuck it and cancel. But I don't think its unreasonable for devs to be open and honest. Personally, Id rather have my integrity than a few extra $$ a month by stringing people along who enjoy your work.
I agree mate. I'd love more honesty from devs, but, look at it from a business point of view. Lets say you were getting 1K dollars each month. You wake up and decide to be honest. You tell them, "I'm gonna fuck around for 12 months and do absolutely nothing while taking your money.". How many do you think will see that and stick around? Or, you tell them "I will work at my own pace, screw around sometimes and not work, but will release something in 12 months." Again, how many will stick around?

See what I mean? If you lie or tell excuses, or do tell the truth but in a way that makes it seem like you been working nonstop, then people will stick around. Honesty is good, but in a business sense its harmful.

Reactions: maxvkwong

kerriwm25

Mar 19, 2020
Ok, so he reworked everything. Thats fair. I wasn't hating on Carbon, just to be clear, but like I said in my other post, I've seen one too many devs do this so my outlook might be a bit pessimistic.
CB is not a typical developer, so applying what other devs do probably doesn't apply here.

The fact that he reworked the whole chapter before release indicates increased engagement not less. His updates tend to be peppered with references to what he's learned or what he's trying.

What we may be witnessing is a high-end developer "in training".

4.20 star(s) 125 Votes