4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

Zarathos4

Trial Moderator
Trial Moderator
Jul 25, 2018
Thousands of $ while working whenever, however you want at home, sitting. sure there are plenty of jobs like that...
Most the game devs are doing this in their free time. Its not their jobs.

TheLecher

Nov 21, 2018
Thousands of $ while working whenever, however you want at home, sitting. sure there are plenty of jobs like that...
DRG had his Patreon set up to bill his patrons for each major update released, not monthly. Given that the highest level that his pledges ever hit during the period since I discovered the game was about $3,000 per billing cycle, and given that, at best, he could only post a major update every two or three months, you would be looking at a maximum of $1,000 to $1,500 per month, which is basically poverty-level income. And that doesn't even begin to take into account money that he had to pay out to make the game, such as money spent to buy assets or money for hardware upgrades.

Do the math. It's not a high paying "job".

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
In eastern Europe and mostly Russia 1k$ is more than twice the average income. But DRG is from States as far as I know. He might be back as he had long hiatus before but sadly I doubt it this time. But I'll observe him and wish him the best cuz this is mechanically the best RPGM game I've seen.

Reactions: MrJBJ

TheLecher

Nov 21, 2018
You really don't understand how much people earn on a global scale?
How much people earn on a global scale is completely irrelevant. Whether or not a person's income is poverty level is determined by comparing their income with the cost of living where they live, not the cost of living in some other part of the world. In the USA, the poverty level is anything below $12,000 per year for one person. That is the relevant figure.

TheLecher

Nov 21, 2018
When did we decide that all abandoned game developers are living in the USA?
Who said anything about "all abandoned game developers"? One particular game developer = all game developers?

Your logic seems shaky to me. But I guess you're determined to fight to the end to try to prove your point that DRG would have been flush with cash, if only he were still developing this game. The thing is, you aren't ever going to prove that point, so you're just going to have to argue forever.

TheLecher

Nov 21, 2018
You have no ability to read or your memory is as good as female MC's at corruption games?
If you can read, go a few pages back and read again.
No, I can't read. I've just been posting coherent replies to your posts by intuition.

No one was fighting you, no one was attacking DRG - the discussion was about developers who abandon games, not about Astrid's creator.
After accusing me of not being able to read or having a poor memory, you've just displayed a rather poor memory of what you, yourself, posted, just one page ago.

The discussion was about whether or not getting paid a paltry couple of thousand dollars per major update makes this kind of game development a high paying job. That was what we were discussing.

I'll not speak to you again on this topic.
Thank God for that.

FinalSquall

Dec 12, 2017
Really sad to see this abandoned. Honestly would have paid £30 maybe more for a finished version.
Sorry I am late to the party (sad party), not that active recently. I manually searched for this game from memory as it is one I was looking forward too. Very dissapointed to see this =(

I do not use patreon for this reason tho.

Reactions: Priappus

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
It has always been clear to the patrons that VWA is a labor of love, and that DRG feels, and wants to feel, no obligations to produce according to any schedule. That's why he set up his account to only charge after each major release. And that's why I am still a patron, having been so from the start. If people think that I am crazy to remain a patron at no expense to myself, I can live with that.

That's also why I am also not despairing of ever seeing an update to this game. DRG has always been super-slow to update, because he has always just worked when his muse talked to him. This is the longest interval between updates ever, but it's not an inconceivably long interval, given his track record. I will despair when he tells me to and not before.

SteelyDan14

Formerly Known as GeekBone
Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
It has always been clear to the patrons that VWA is a labor of love, and that DRG feels, and wants to feel, no obligations to produce according to any schedule. That's why he set up his account to only charge after each major release. And that's why I am still a patron, having been so from the start. If people think that I am crazy to remain a patron at no expense to myself, I can live with that.

That's also why I am also not despairing of ever seeing an update to this game. DRG has always been super-slow to update, because he has always just worked when his muse talked to him. This is the longest interval between updates ever, but it's not an inconceivably long interval, given his track record. I will despair when he tells me to and not before.
Yep... sorry I missed that.

4.60 star(s) 29 Votes