4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I wish I knew enough Unity to remake this......
Honestly, I think unless you can get Astrid right, I wouldn't bother. It's easy enough to copy the text that exists already and then follow what's been developed to keep her personality more or less the same. A big draw to the game was Astrid physically, though, so unless you can render her to look the same, I'm not sure it would work. Lockhear has done pretty well so far, but still isn't satisfied with attempts up until now.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
RPGM is a perfectly fine engine to do this kind of game in. It has exploration, a bit of combat, some dodging/avoiding stuff, and leveling. I'm not a fan of non-RPG games done in RPGM, but this is an RPG.
I mostly feel the same way. RPGM is a fine engine if the type of game you're doing takes advantage of its interface. RPGs for sure, but I think some other games make good or even excellent use of it despite not being RPGs. I once played a series of games called Azurael's Circle. It was horror and IMO made good use of the engine. You never knew what exactly was going on in each of the games until you explored enough, so exploration and conversations as you went along seemed really to fit the engine.

There are other games, like Wicked Rouge that heavily modify how gameplay typically works in RPGM, but I think it works surprisingly well. Something like the NLT Media games also seem to work generally for me. Still, some of these examples leave off the mechanics of fighting that RPGM is partially known for, and that's a bit of a shame. I mean, combat doesn't really fit into those games, so omitting it makes sense, but then the use of RPGM makes less sense.

I believe use of RPGM for Valiant Warrior Astrid, however, was extremely appropriate, for the very reasons you've mentioned.

Last edited:

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Do you know from where the creator got his models?
I'm sure someone like lockhear could probably have an idea if not just tell you exactly, but the model had been considerably modified by DMG (the developer), so I'm pretty sure you won't find it just hanging out in the Daz3D library or anything. You might learn that at least 2 or more models have been blended to make Astrid. You find a model that vaguely resembles Astrid but looks a lot different because of many modifications that DMG made to it. But again, lockhear almost certainly has a really good idea about it, give the fan renders posted in this thread.

gamiat

Feb 10, 2018
There are a couple of other abandoned games in f 95 that have been picked up by fans, and are being worked up. But, apparently they're going slowly, due to work/life/etc. Just puttin a bug in some ears, in case anybody wants to pick this up.
I know it's been discussed before, but even starting a brand new game that is even similar to this would be cool. Just change names, and slightly adjust the art if you're worried about any copyright issues. And even if not changed, the only reason to worry about copyright issues is if the original owner of the material noticed it, at which point, if they wanted to say something about it, they'd at least be making their presence known, and that would let us all know they're alive, at least. lol
I know the game is abandoned and all, but as a VWA fan myself as well, Some people really want to SACRIFICE THEMSELVES (endless nights, etc) to try to add features, small scenes, dialogues... (without patreon and all), just because we love it. We can reuse her pics in the game (as I don't ever imagine whoever model is) until someone can provide models at least partially identical to the ones in the game. I have DAZ and POSER and I would surely render pictures of her (provided I have any clue on her traits/model/morphs).

I don't think MODDING will hurt copyright at all because a MOD is just a MOD. A fan modification (just like Bitch Trainer from Akabur). We can put the credits of the original author. And if the author someday finds it, of course he can get all the works we modified/added, in order to delete/modify/recreate with his own pure ideas. And it will be a nice excuse for him not to abandon patrons and lovers ever again.

The main objective here is just to continue this gem (provided it's not so hard to make it editable in MV)

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Mods can violate copyright if they use assets created by the copyright holder and the IP holder objects. Morroblivion started using reskinned Morrowind models but had to delete those when Bethesda objected (Bethesda didn't object to using the plot, lore, dialogue, etc but didn't own all the rights to the visual assets).

I don;t think that copyright considerations apply to any mods here, because DRG isn't going to object.

I'd assist in a sort of community mod to the game, but don't have the skills or software to mod the game itself. I could try my hand at writing, though.

Reactions: gamiat and Priappus

gamiat

Feb 10, 2018
I don't think that copyright considerations apply to any mods here, because DRG isn't going to object.

I'd assist in a sort of community mod to the game, but don't have the skills or software to mod the game itself. I could try my hand at writing, though.
It would be really great!
We players (as a community) only want to continue playing, making it alive and, when possible, make it more enjoyable (improvement). It's a really simple wish. When you have a patient with no heart, you want a doctor to go there and put the same (if possible) or another heart. The patient (Astrid) just wants to live!

Modding becomes even more welcomed when DEVs just 'disappear' without a message (be it any reason). It's like we 'lost' a government. We became orphans. At least I feel like that.

We are not 'bad people' who just want to fiddle with everything and turn people's games worse. We want to continue 'loving' a game we know it's getting updated and we are being heard.

The bare minimum we could do (like a people in an 'abandoned' village) is to organize a team of peasants (who love the game and would surely contribute as a solidary action) in order to get what people want and then put in a MOD. No other than we, players, know what could be done to make it more enjoyable (as we are the ones who are testing the game in all nookies and crannies while grinding and all). Provided there is a baseline.

I am already analysing the game and I can say the 'WORST' a modder will have to do is to recreate tons of 3d assets, like the characters (e.g. in the case someone do a new Calder scene, we would need to reproduce furniture, books, the room, the Calder himself, etc). But we can skip certain or all objects in most scenes, that is, just make the character, like Astrid with her blueish mantle, in a transparent background.

I dont mind of certain scenes without the '3d room', as there are many scenes from Astrid where we only see her body, at most just an object like a furniture. Example:

034.jpg

(The background is the game itself, greyed out. According to DEVs, we already perceive this area, we know Don is inside her room, so our brains already got the placement of the scene). I've seen PLENTY of games with just an object drawn, like the above. This won't damage immersion. At least for the intentions of the MOD (new scenes, new interactions, etc).

The other things possible to be done in the game is far easier: a written 'receipt' of the new scene so we can implement it, then new 2d rooms and areas RPGMAKER MV already provides, then new events (just basic script inside RPGMAKER) and finally, some rendering.

So, for now, the immediate action would be to be able to edit the game (RPGMAKER MV), then use DAZ to recreate Astrid (like StellyDan14 did dozens of pages ago). I can do the rendering (but I am still getting instructions form Stelly and I can't promise I'll be the 'main' one who will be dedicated to it). Currently, she is almost identical to Astrid, just a bit of tickling (morphs) needed. Then it's just a matter to create a scene, write it, put some rendered images here for people to discuss about, then put in the next version (Valiant Warrior Astrid Post MOD 0.5.3 or something, then go on from there)

We can have dozens of 'side scenes' just with Astrid herself, like a 'stuck scene' in a wall, or a groper in the city, or even new toilet scenes (for those who like). And new quests from the Guild, who could be as simple as 'please get three flowers'. Then we could get a quick scene with an Ogre who is next to the flowers.

And we can fix/improve things in the game, like more ways to increase lust and decrease shame, 'colored balls' which tell us which outfit she can use outside, etc.

Future actions would be to discuss about the progress of story (we don't know how the story will be after the sewers, but we know key points like her brother who was killed and the need for training and then revenge) so the community could recreate the 'what's next'. Upon agreeing to new plots, we can elect one and then make the game follows it.

Last edited:

Justjorge

Apr 27, 2017
We players (as a community) only want to continue playing, making it alive and, when possible, make it more enjoyable (improvement). It's a really simple wish. When you have a patient with no heart, you want a doctor to go there and put the same (if possible) or another heart. The patient (Astrid) just wants to live!

Modding becomes even more welcomed when DEVs just 'disappear' without a message (be it any reason). It's like we 'lost' a government. We became orphans. At least I feel like that.

We are not 'bad people' who just want to fiddle with everything and turn people's games worse. We want to continue 'loving' a game we know it's getting updated and we are being heard.

The bare minimum we could do (like a people in an 'abandoned' village) is to organize a team of peasants (who love the game and would surely contribute as a solidary action) in order to get what people want and then put in a MOD. No other than we, players, know what could be done to make it more enjoyable (as we are the ones who are testing the game in all nookies and crannies while grinding and all). Provided there is a baseline.

I am already analysing the game and I can say the 'WORST' a modder will have to do is to recreate tons of 3d assets, like the characters (e.g. in the case someone do a new Calder scene, we would need to reproduce furniture, books, the room, the Calder himself, etc). But we can skip certain or all objects in most scenes, that is, just make the character, like Astrid with her blueish mantle, in a transparent background.

I dont mind of certain scenes without the '3d room', as there are many scenes from Astrid where we only see her body, at most just a object like a furniture. Example:

View attachment 1630821

(The background is the game itself, greyed out. According to DEVs, we already perceive this area, we know Don is inside her room, so our brains already got the placement of the scene). I've seen PLENTY of games with just an object drawn, like the above. This won't damage immersion. At least for the intentions of the MOD (new scenes, new interactions, etc).

The other things possible to be done in the game is far easier: a written 'receipt' of the new scene so we can implement it, then new 2d rooms and areas RPGMAKER MV already provides, then new events (just basic script inside RPGMAKER) and finally, some rendering.

So, for now, the immediate action would be to be able to edit the game (RPGMAKER MV), then use DAZ to recreate Astrid (like StellyDan14 did dozens of pages ago). I can do the rendering (but I am still getting instructions form Stelly and I can't promise I'll be the 'main' one who will be dedicated to it). Currently, she is almost identical to Astrid, just a bit of tickling (morphs) needed. Then it's just a matter to create a scene, write it, put some rendered images here for people to discuss about, then put in the next version (Valiant Warrior Astrid Post MOD 0.5.3 or something, then go on from there)

We can have dozens of 'side scenes' just with Astrid herself, like a 'stuck scene' in a wall, or a groper in the city, or even new toilet scenes (for those who like). And new quests from the Guild, who could be as simple as 'please get three flowers'. Then we could get a quick scene with an Ogre who is next to the flowers.

And we can fix/improve things in the game, like more ways to increase lust and decrease shame, 'colored balls' which tell us which outfit she can use outside, etc.

Future actions would be to discuss about the progress of story (we don't know how the story will be after the sewers, but we know key points like her brother who was killed and the need for training and then revenge) so the community could recreate the 'what's next'. Upon agreeing to new plots, we can elect one and then make the game follows it.
I love this idea

NachoCheese

Dec 10, 2017

I dont mind of certain scenes without the '3d room', as there are many scenes from Astrid where we only see her body, at most just an object like a furniture. Example:

View attachment 1630821

VWA is definitely a refinement on DRG's previous game, Valentina's Story, most specifically in terms of character development, storyline and art. I also found it to be a bit of a dilution, specifically the trainer aspect of the game doesn't really fit with the corruption RPG elements which were also present in Valentina's Story.

Having communicated with DRG on the topic with his previous project, I'm sure he wouldn't mind it if people took up the mantle of developing VWA after his abandonment of it. However, the biggest contribution DRG brought to this project was one of creative direction: Any derivative project will not have the same tone and feel that the original did, which is apparent when looking at others' derivations of Valentina's Story. Not that I don't appreciate them, I do, but they're games that take a markedly different direction than the original.

IIRC the major stipulation he had with Valentina's Story was crediting him with originating the game.

I would volunteer to help with this endeavor, but I need another side project like I need another hole in my head right now.

Justjorge

Apr 27, 2017
VWA is definitely a refinement on DRG's previous game, Valentina's Story, most specifically in terms of character development, storyline and art. I also found it to be a bit of a dilution, specifically the trainer aspect of the game doesn't really fit with the corruption RPG elements which were also present in Valentina's Story.

Having communicated with DRG on the topic with his previous project, I'm sure he wouldn't mind it if people took up the mantle of developing VWA after his abandonment of it. However, the biggest contribution DRG brought to this project was one of creative direction: Any derivative project will not have the same tone and feel that the original did, which is apparent when looking at others' derivations of Valentina's Story. Not that I don't appreciate them, I do, but they're games that take a markedly different direction than the original.

IIRC the major stipulation he had with Valentina's Story was crediting him with originating the game.

I would volunteer to help with this endeavor, but I need another side project like I need another hole in my head right now.
I guess my whole thing is that VWA was not afraid to be downright cruel to its protagonist. Just look at the scenes featured in the game. And there was suggestion that things would only get worse for Astrid.

Reactions: NorthmanPT
4.60 star(s) 29 Votes