4.60 star(s) 29 Votes

TheLecher

Nov 21, 2018
Last night I made the disastrous mistake of playing this again for a half hour or so. I found a couple of scenes I had missed before. Now I'm even more upset that this will probably never be finished.

TheLecher

Nov 21, 2018
If the creator isn't gonna finish it, I issue a challenge to someone else to remake it and finish the remake....or attempt to finish this one....if you can even do that. lol ..seriously...games this good don't deserve to be abandoned. That's just uncool.
I absolutely agree that this game deserves to be seen through all the way to the end. And if the developer didn't get hit by a bus and die, then shame on him for ditching this project. But for someone else to try to finish it just wouldn't work.

True that! Honestly, I would learn this rpgm shit if I have to.
It wouldn't be enough to learn RPGMaker MV. You would also have to learn Daz3D. And even then, you don't have all of the virtual assets for the game. A lot of the elements used in the renders in this game aren't stock in Daz3D. You have to have assets from outside the base program, which either means buying assets or creating them yourself. When it comes time to make new renders for new scenes with Astrid, how will you do it without the assets? Are you going to contact the developer and ask him to turn his assets over to you?

Also, only the creator knows where the story is supposed to go from here. I'm sure that most of us can think of examples of movies or TV shows which started out strong and then went right down the toilet part way through, because there was a change of director or writers.

mattrixatp

Apr 29, 2017
Ok, so I made too short an answer. I already know Blender, I suppose Daz3D would me similar. Assets - obviously. Maybe try to contact DRG to kindly provide them. I only have a problem with creating skeletons but if the models already have them the animations would be the hardest part. And the story - well either I would ask the creator again or make my own. Pretty straight forward I think - get strong, beat that guy who killed that guy in the beginning. How the road twists and turns until then is simply a matter of imagination.

Reactions: FookU2

TheLecher

Nov 21, 2018
.... Assets - obviously. Maybe try to contact DRG to kindly provide them... And the story - well either I would ask the creator again or make my own. Pretty straight forward I think - get strong, beat that guy who killed that guy in the beginning. How the road twists and turns until then is simply a matter of imagination.
If you were able to contact the creator, why not ask him to finish his own game, rather than asking him to "kindly" hand over assets which either cost him a lot of money or a lot of painstaking work and time?

As for the story being simple, in at least one sense, all stories are simple. But in execution and in development, a good story often has many complexities. And what little we've seen of this game (Bear in mind that we're only in chapter 2 of the game, with an unknown number of chapters in the total.) has already given us glimpses of several complexities, which we could reasonably expect to branch into further complexities as the story progresses.

If you are going to remake it, you would be better doing it in Renpy rather than RPGM.
That's a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer Ren'Py, and some prefer RPGMaker. I have enjoyed games in both formats, but I definitely prefer RPGMaker for this game. I'm not sure that I would have any interest at all in playing a Ren'Py reboot of VWA.

rusalka

Aug 24, 2017
Very very sad. I've played my fair share of adult games and it was one of the best without a doubt. Even in the top 10 patreon adult games, I would have picked this one over many games standing in that top. Anyway. Still hope he will return and get back at it, even if the chance is really small.
I agree completely. This is one of the best games on this site with the greatest potential.

Dideldidum

May 19, 2017
And if the developer didn't get hit by a bus and die, then shame on him for ditching this project.
The guy/girl has the most honest patreon pledge and provided a very high quality game. He/she doesnt owe us anything. I absolutely agree this project deserves to be finished because of it´s quality, but shit like creator burnout, real life problems/goodies are more important than our enjoyment of this great game.

TheLecher

Nov 21, 2018
The guy/girl has the most honest patreon pledge and provided a very high quality game. He/she doesnt owe us anything. I absolutely agree this project deserves to be finished because of it´s quality, but shit like creator burnout, real life problems/goodies are more important than our enjoyment of this great game.
I don't recall saying anything against his integrity. But you're wrong when you say that he doesn't owe anyone anything. There is an implied contract between patrons and the artists they patronize. He does owe it to his patrons to let them know if he has abandoned this project.

So, having clarified, I'll reiterate my previous statement. If he just ditched this game, then shame on him.

Real life problems happen, certainly, as do joyous events. And, yes, people can get burned out. It does happen. But if no serious disaster has befallen him, then he owes it to the people who have supported him to either finish the game or give us notice of its abandonment. And, if it were possible to owe anything to a story which you've created (I maintain that it's not possible.), then I would say that he owes it to this excellent game to finish it.

Jove76

Mar 13, 2019
I don't recall saying anything against his integrity. But you're wrong when you say that he doesn't owe anyone anything. There is an implied contract between patrons and the artists they patronize. He does owe it to his patrons to let them know if he has abandoned this project.

So, having clarified, I'll reiterate my previous statement. If he just ditched this game, then shame on him.

Real life problems happen, certainly, as do joyous events. And, yes, people can get burned out. It does happen. But if no serious disaster has befallen him, then he owes it to the people who have supported him to either finish the game or give us notice of its abandonment. And, if it were possible to owe anything to a story which you've created (I maintain that it's not possible.), then I would say that he owes it to this excellent game to finish it.
I must agree, at least philosophically. I do not know about the "he owes the patrons" argument, because that was never any contractual agreement - no one forces anyone to contribute via Patreon. You, or anyone else, contributes fundamentally as payment for work he has already done (and to help enable/encourage him to do further work), but at no point are you paying him to work today or tomorrow. He owes you, as a patron of his art, nothing. If he gave you something you deem to be significant to your enjoyment of life, then you owe him - not the other way around. However, I do agree that he "owes" his art. Though I do completely agree that if the creator decided abandon work on the project, he should tell his patrons that. It is poor behavior to continue to profit from such a format as Patreon if one knows they have no intention of ever putting effort into that product again (though we have no idea if that is the case in this instance).

GRR Martin does not owe fans of his novels a conclusion. They bought the books he wrote and nothing further is promised. But i would argue that he owes the characters he created a conclusion to that narrative. In that context, your assertion is correct.

Reactions: riddikk91

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
I must agree, at least philosophically. I do not know about the "he owes the patrons" argument, because that was never any contractual agreement - no one forces anyone to contribute via Patreon. You, or anyone else, contributes fundamentally as payment for work he has already done (and to help enable/encourage him to do further work), but at no point are you paying him to work today or tomorrow. He owes you, as a patron of his art, nothing. If he gave you something you deem to be significant to your enjoyment of life, then you owe him - not the other way around. However, I do agree that he "owes" his art. Though I do completely agree that if the creator decided abandon work on the project, he should tell his patrons that. It is poor behavior to continue to profit from such a format as Patreon if one knows they have no intention of ever putting effort into that product again (though we have no idea if that is the case in this instance).

GRR Martin does not owe fans of his novels a conclusion. They bought the books he wrote and nothing further is promised. But i would argue that he owes the characters he created a conclusion to that narrative. In that context, your assertion is correct.
That's what the comment meant by "owes the patrons." He owes it to the patrons to at least tell them whether he quit, or simply is taking a break. It's simply common courtesy to not leave people hanging. Tell your supporters SOMETHING...."I'm abandoning this project...due to ...blah, blah, blah..." ... or "I'm taking a much needed break to deal with life..." or something similar, to at least let people know what's going on.
That said...I've wondered if something happened to the dev. I rarely see devs just ghost their supporters. Usually, they will make a post about what's going on. It's only fair.

Reactions: Jove76
4.60 star(s) 29 Votes