anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
@Nikois why do you use show for your pictures ? This statement is intended to display sprites (pictures that are part of the scene, but smaller than the background, and that change/move during the scene) over the background of the scene. Your pictures are the whole scene, so what you need to use is the scene statement, and only it.
Not only it will remove the need to hide the previous picture, since the said scene statement automatically get ride of the previous background/scene, but it will also remove the annoying flash effect that happen when the picture change ; effect that happen because for a fraction of second, Ren'py have nothing else to display that the picture displayed by the last scene statement.
Or at least, inverse the order, and put the show before the hide to get ride of the flash effect.
Just doing one or the other will significantly improve the quality of your game.

And also, when you write things like play musicc "horrormusic.ogg", you use a channel that will play at full level because it's not part of the preference screen, and so the player can't define its volume. It's not really nice for the player.

Nikois

:()
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 6, 2018
Why is every new developer stealing models from "Dreams of desire"? This is probably the 5th game with the same face, if not body. This shit is just getting lazy.
Didn't stole but Mrs.Turner model was quite cheap, its quite often on sale imo
@Nikois why do you use show for your pictures ? This statement is intended to display sprites (pictures that are part of the scene, but smaller than the background, and that change/move during the scene) over the background of the scene. Your pictures are the whole scene, so what you need to use is the scene statement, and only it.
Not only it will remove the need to hide the previous picture, since the said scene statement automatically get ride of the previous background/scene, but it will also remove the annoying flash effect that happen when the picture change ; effect that happen because for a fraction of second, Ren'py have nothing else to display that the picture displayed by the last scene statement.
Or at least, inverse the order, and put the show before the hide to get ride of the flash effect.
Just doing one or the other will significantly improve the quality of your game.

And also, when you write things like play musicc "horrormusic.ogg", you use a channel that will play at full level because it's not part of the preference screen, and so the player can't define its volume. It's not really nice for the player.
I actually started with that and thought of going with the flow for a while, I am thinking of changing the code for this update but isnt it 'Scene' which adds the white flash as stated by Thundron guy? But I will test it. Thanks for the help.

Nikois

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 6, 2018
Y
@Nikois Since you hashed out five months ago that the mom's friend is NOT the MC's aunt and her daughter is not the MC's cousin, I strongly suggest updating your game description.

(Also, post 200! :cool:)
for non incest thats the story but I think a incest patch will be much better than in-game stuff and will clear a lot of confusion.

Nightless

Jan 13, 2018
It is not bad for a start and i totally dig the female models so far, even if they have been seen before. But yeah I am not that sure about the story anymore. First Mafia was kinda ok, but now horror too....hmm will keep watching it for now

Jeepster

Apr 17, 2018
Since Mega gets a bit touchy on how much i download and timer kicks in.... People so forget to put a CHANGE LOG IN!!! omg How hard is it... and if there isn't one... I'll wait till next time it pops up in here :p Moved onto the next game after this on update OMG look a change log.. Download started :)

Nikois

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 6, 2018
It is not bad for a start and i totally dig the female models so far, even if they have been seen before. But yeah I am not that sure about the story anymore. First Mafia was kinda ok, but now horror too....hmm will keep watching it for now
i would call it more Sci-fi than horror. There are
no ghosts in this. Only time will tell what my story really is, lol

Synnerai

Nov 11, 2016
Even though Lilith 7 model is quite common, also I bought it, because it was on sale, why use the exact same hairstyle as Monica has in Where the Heart Is, when you are using the same model? Or why not change textures? I know that these are the original Lilith 7 textures. It's possible via texture change to make a completely new looking character in DAZ. :D Yes, she then looks like her sister, but not the same. :D Btw, there are face morphs specifically for this model.
I am sure a lot of people are pointing this out and you are probably not annoyed with it yet, but I bet you will be. :D

Reactions: Nikois

Nikois

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 6, 2018
Even though Lilith 7 model is quite common, also I bought it, because it was on sale, why use the exact same hairstyle as Monica has in Where the Heart Is, when you are using the same model? Or why not change textures? I know that these are the original Lilith 7 textures. It's possible via texture change to make a completely new looking character in DAZ. :D Yes, she then looks like her sister, but not the same. :D Btw, there are face morphs specifically for this model.
I am sure a lot of people are pointing this out and you are probably not annoyed with it yet, but I bet you will be. :D
I was new to all this back then. I used the default hairstyles because I had no money for other hairstyles but when I came to know that there are assests available on f95zone it was too late. But I already had plans to change the hair because its required in the story. When it comes to hate, i dont get it but Kendra will be the only default model, other characters will be completely different and Unique like Clara.

Reactions: Synnerai
May 20, 2017
@Nikois Large headed figure, Satellites and bogeys, now I am intrigued to see your Vision for the story. Trafficos were a small side story, I am guessing. Might as well make the Large headed figure an ancient race of Alien whose ship crash landed or earth or somehow got stranded over here. Didn't quite get the space part of the update but if its something like a small alien secret invasion and shit, then those aliens surely are here for the Ancient One stuck on earth. Hell, I wouldn't even mind the alien helping MC attain superhuman abilities or enhanced abilities in return for protection from whats coming. Since, you said its sci-fi, might as well expand the horizon in terms of story a little bit. An enhanced being, two hot babes behind him(maybe more) whom he has to protect, trafficos, aliens, little bit of stealth, lot of weaponry, shall go a long way.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[...] but isnt it 'Scene' which adds the white flash as stated by Thundron guy?
I'm categorical, it isn't due to the use of scene, it's because the hide/show sequence you use.
More precisely, in the majority of computers it happen when you do something between the hide and the following show ; but on small sized computer or heavy charged one, it can happen even when you do nothing between them.

You can verify it easily :
Code:
label start:
    "start with scene."
    scene pic1
    pause 1.0
    scene pic2
    pause 1.0
    scene pic3
    pause 1.0
    "switch to show."
    show pic4
    pause 1.0
    hide pic4
    show pic5
    pause 1.0
    hide pic5
    show pic6
    pause 1.0
    "now with the flash effect."
    hide pic7
    pause 0.1
    show pic8
    pause 1.0
    hide pic8
    pause 0.1
    show pic9
    pause 1.0
    hide pic9
    pause 0.1
    show pic10
    pause 1.0
    hide pic10
    pause 0.1
    show pic11
    pause 1.0
    "Same when no scene previously displayed."
    scene
    hide pic11
    pause 0.1
    show pic12
    pause 1.0
    hide pic12
    pause 0.1
    show pic13
    pause 1.0
    hide pic13
    pause 0.1
    show pic14
    pause 1.0
    hide pic14
    pause 0.1
    show pic15
    pause 1.0
    "END"
    return
I used a tenth of second pause between the hide and show statements to simulate the fact that you do something else between.
But as I said above, the same apply on old, small sized computer or heavy charged computers even if there's nothing between the two statements. You can verify it easily by using pause 0.01 instead of pause 0.1 ; it's less visible, but still the flash happen with a hundredth of second pause.

Nikois

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 6, 2018
I'm categorical, it isn't due to the use of scene, it's because the hide/show sequence you use.
More precisely, in the majority of computers it happen when you do something between the hide and the following show ; but on small sized computer or heavy charged one, it can happen even when you do nothing between them.

You can verify it easily :
Code:
label start:
    "start with scene."
    scene pic1
    pause 1.0
    scene pic2
    pause 1.0
    scene pic3
    pause 1.0
    "switch to show."
    show pic4
    pause 1.0
    hide pic4
    show pic5
    pause 1.0
    hide pic5
    show pic6
    pause 1.0
    "now with the flash effect."
    hide pic7
    pause 0.1
    show pic8
    pause 1.0
    hide pic8
    pause 0.1
    show pic9
    pause 1.0
    hide pic9
    pause 0.1
    show pic10
    pause 1.0
    hide pic10
    pause 0.1
    show pic11
    pause 1.0
    "Same when no scene previously displayed."
    scene
    hide pic11
    pause 0.1
    show pic12
    pause 1.0
    hide pic12
    pause 0.1
    show pic13
    pause 1.0
    hide pic13
    pause 0.1
    show pic14
    pause 1.0
    hide pic14
    pause 0.1
    show pic15
    pause 1.0
    "END"
    return
I used a tenth of second pause between the hide and show statements to simulate the fact that you do something else between.
But as I said above, the same apply on old, small sized computer or heavy charged computers even if there's nothing between the two statements. You can verify it easily by using pause 0.01 instead of pause 0.1 ; it's less visible, but still the flash happen with a hundredth of second pause.
So I played the build version and I see no flashs? with flash do you mean exactly, white flash? I am not experiencing any kind of flash? I do use 'with dissolve' with 'show hide ' for example
show pic1 with dissolve
p "Hey kendra how are you"
hide

with dissolve, it should be like fade not flashes. As you said "in the majority of computers it happen when you do something between the hide and the following show" does it mean I am not in that majority? What should I do? should I use Scene instead of show and hide?
edit: does this has anything to do with the refresh rate of a screen?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
So I played the build version and I see no flashs?
With the code I gave as example ? I really doubt it...

As you said "in the majority of computers it happen when you do something between the hide and the following show" does it mean I am not in that majority?
It mean that either you have an over powerful computer or a "slow brain" (note that it's not an insult, there's really people with a brain that take more time to process visual information and can miss a small part of the said information).

The flash happen because, for a fraction of time, between the hide statement and the following show statement, Ren'py fallback to the actual background (the image comming from the last scene statement you used). So, if you have something like this :
Code:
    scene imageA
    "some dialog"
    show imageB
    hide imageB
    show imageC
Ren'py will do :
  • Display imageA ;
  • Display the dialog line ;
  • Display imageB on top of imageA ;
  • Display imageA (since imageB is no more on top of it) ;
  • Display imageC on top of imageA.

Now, the longer is this said "fraction of time", the more likely the flash will be visible.

This will with :
Code:
    scene imageA
    "some dialog"
    scene imageB
    scene imageC
Ren'py will do :
  • Display imageA ;
  • Display the dialog line ;
  • Replace imageA with imageB ;
  • Replace imageB with imageC ;

What should I do? should I use Scene instead of show and hide?
Yes, because it's what scene is intended to, while actually you misuse the show and hide statement. Like implied above, when using them, you display the image on top of the image defined with the scene statement ; so, Ren'py effectively display two images at the same time, but like they have the same size, you only see one.

3.20 star(s) 15 Votes