VN Ren'Py Abandoned Vinland [v0.1.8a Public] [HuitiemeGame]

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018

Chapter 1 news (big post)
A good part of chapter 1 was supposed to have mini-games. "Was" because, after a long discussion with myself where words were said, secrets betrayed and insults thrown away, I've come to the decision NOT to add these mini-games. At least, not within the narrative, they might be added as a bonus if I succeed in doing what I envision.

Some of you might have surmised that there would be a difference between the scholar path and the warrior path. You were right! Calm down, it wasn't really a secret anyway. What's less known is that I planned to have the game reflect this branching in more ways than purely narrative: Scholars would play a certain game while Warriors would have some sort of fighting system.

Truth be told, I'm no developer and I'm afraid my coding abilities (that amount to 0) would be too poor to tackle on this kind of feature. So instead, you'll have a decision tree that should seamlessly integrate within the story.
By the way, the last two weeks have been really busy, as I feared, and I couldn't progress as much as I wished. We're sitting on ~330 renders and ~1700 lines, so that's already more than twice the prologue, and the chapter is still far from done.

I intended the following:

But for now, only the Intro (900 lines) and Branch SG 1 (800 lines) are done. The other three branches might be around the same (although WG1 and SF1 might get shorter). The interludes should be shorter than that, but not much.

That's all very well, but then, we have the second big event (branch xx 2) that could take a considerable time to be done as well :/

Depending on when I finally get around to finish the two interludes, I think I'm gonna release the chapter then. Available content should be enough to satisfy you (I hope).

Chapter 2 is not planned to be that "complex", with clearly separated branches, but for chapter 1, I couldn't do it in any other way. Some among you might already know why. Maybe you could even try to solve the mystery behind my naming the branches with the letters W G S and F ;)

Regin34

Apr 18, 2019
With all this science stuffs around protagonist, he look like ewen more like Hiccup. XD. So, you are going to give to us already full chapter 1. Impresive, but most developers on this site like to publish unfinish chapters, with branch to do later. You are exception man, and I l'm curios if you managed to finish this. Any way, good luck.

Reactions: Huitieme

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
With all this science stuffs around protagonist, he look like ewen more like Hiccup. XD. So, you are going to give to us already full chapter 1. Impresive, but most developers on this site like to publish unfinish chapters, with branch to do later. You are exception man, and I l'm curios if you managed to finish this. Any way, good luck.
Ha ha.

As I said in there, for now, only the intro and the first path (out of 4) for this chapter are done. I still need to code wg1, sf1 and wf1 :x After that, the interludes should serve as the first epilogue of the chapter. I mean, I could still wait and really do the full chapter as previously planned, but then it won't be released before November, I fear...

The roadmap is pretty fuzzy (this being my first project and such), but for now, depending on multiple factors, a release by the end of September might be achievable, but would be hard to pull off anyway. Next releases will be shorter, because I'm sad you can't play it already D:

Reactions: Akamari

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Depending on when I finally get around to finish the two interludes, I think I'm gonna release the chapter then. Available content should be enough to satisfy you (I hope).
You know the drill, release when ready.:)

Maybe you could even try to solve the mystery behind my naming the branches with the letters W G S and F ;)
I can't believe World Financial Group didn't sponsor a branch! :p

But then again after learning who their owner is, it's perhaps not as surprising. It is none other than...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
That's all well and good, but what was your idea for scholarriors? Insult fighting?
Just to be less enigmatic, I simply cannot have a real Scholarrior path, which is why you're still asked your path at the end: Scholar or Warrior.
BUT (and just like Gudrid's, this is a big butt), there are still differences within the game if you chose the Scholarrior path. But they're not very important, though. Or are they...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
And here I was expecting an Assassin's Creed Odyssey sailing mechanic in Ren'py. I wanted to wrestle a bear bare-handed. Then muse upon some Bare Naked Ladies, like the Warrior Poet (Scholarrior) that I am.

My opinion on mini games is that they are fun and all, but if it is too hard, leave them out, or just throw them in as secrets. Or like all great artists, steal, change it a bit and call it your own. Or put them off until the "remake" after you finish the game and you know better. Then you can pepper in some astral navigating via sun stones and northern stars, or seeing who can piss on the passing dolphins.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
And here I was expecting an Assassin's Creed Odyssey sailing mechanic in Ren'py. I wanted to wrestle a bear bare-handed. Then muse upon some Bare Naked Ladies, like the Warrior Poet (Scholarrior) that I am.

My opinion on mini games is that they are fun and all, but if it is too hard, leave them out, or just throw them in as secrets. Or like all great artists, steal, change it a bit and call it your own. Or put them off until the "remake" after you finish the game and you know better. Then you can pepper in some astral navigating via sun stones and northern stars, or seeing who can piss on the passing dolphins.
Well, just wait for the next Assassin's Creed that the rumor put in the Viking period. I've asked Ubisoft if they'd want to use Freydis and Gudrid as main love interests, but I haven't received any answer so far. I'm quite confident about this, though!

timepants

God of Time (and Pants)
Donor
Game Developer
May 12, 2017
Unf those abs on Freydis :love:.

Hope she has some pretty feet and a pretty butthole too.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Huitieme
4.60 star(s) 34 Votes